Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Look what I found!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ohhh that's a neat looking one! Very green! Is it missing a leg in the back?
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper7 View Post
    Is it missing a leg in the back?
    Yeah, my mom was a bit rough when she grabbed it. I would have grabbed it but I didn't want to go get a container and not be able to find it.
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.
    My growing growlist of growing things

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, let me help.

first, join mantidforum.com.

now, you caught some nice looking Mantis religosa nymphs. To tell the sexes apart, count the segments. <7=female, >7=male. The are nymphs, meaning the are not mature and cannot be mated. Yet. Once they mature (by shedding their old skin for a new one, and thus increasing their size), if you are lucky enough toget a pair, they can be maited. They are mature when they have wings. NO SOONER.

For now, focus on keeping them healthy. They require nice ventilation (no stuffy stagnant containers), a shady spot/indoors under a light to avoid overheating, and prey items. Keep them under 70% humidity, but no lower than 30% to aid in shedding. Shedding is the most vulnerable time in a mantids life, and a bad one can result in death or injury. M. religosa takes about any bug 1/2 its size or smaller. it is a notorious under-achiever, often getting scared at things smaller mantids could take no problem. Also, they are nototirous for dying without cause. So, if they do dye, it may not be entirely your fault.

Hope this helps!
    Frankie
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I joined mantidforum about a month ago. I put one in a 10 gallon tank, I took a small branch from my friends bamboo bush thing and put it in a pot (he buried a nearly dead branch and it grew into a huge bush), I put damp paper towels at the bottom, and I stuck a cricket and a moth in there. She's not eating but she did do some kind of strike thing at the cricket. The other one is in a 2 liter bottle, there's some wet paper towels at the bottom, and there's a housefly in there with her/him. There's also a leafy branch from some plant and a twig. Will a coffe filter on top of the 2 liter bottle let enough ventilation/air in for the mantid?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AHHH! not crickets! i presume they are from the pet store, and if so, take it out immediatly! they are fed things that the mantids do not like, and start vomiting almost as soon as they eat the cricket. This "diseaes" often results in death.

The moth sounds good though. Your containers sound almost too big! take a look at (mods, if this is against the rules, please take it out. im not trying to mess up here or advertise or anything! ) http://www.mantisplace.com/insectcups.html. if you'd rather put moist spagnum in the bottom, that'd work too. Thats what i do! the ventilation should be fine. Not optimum but not terrible either.

Hope it all works out!

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I caught it in the field right around where I caught the mantids. I don't even think it's a cricket, just a small colorful grasshopper. I wouldn't need to go to a pet store to get crickets or grasshoppers, just walk into the field with a net and they fling up all over. Yeah, I thought the container might be a bit big for just one mantid. I'll try to figure out how to divide it in half. How do I give them water? Do they just drink it off the paper towels, or do they need a dish? Do they need some kind of artificial light? And how often do they need to eat? One more thing. If they live around here, how do they survive the extremely cold winters? Do they need some kind of winter dormancy in their tanks?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh. that works then! you are lucky to have such a food source around!
    try putting a piece of glass/plexiglass/cardboard/etc...that fits very snugly in the terrarium to seperate them. more than one seperation can mean for more species.
    they get most of their water from prey. if you want to see them actually drink mist them. You should probably mist them every 3 days too.
    light would be welcomed, but not needed. Mine are under desk lamps.
    to see if they are hungry, look at their abdomens (last chunk). If it is very round it is stuffed. Concave = starving. Flat is prefect. Kinda like humans.
    Sorry to break this, but they die in the winter. They only live a few months. But the females (if they have mated) lay oothecas (eggcases) with a thick wall of foam. Inside, their are 200+ eggs waiting until things warm up.

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there any kinds that live for years? They're such big insects compared to most others, they seem like they would live at least a couple years.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast