Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Look what I found!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look what I found!

I was looking for grasshoppers on the edge of the field today and I thought I saw a giant bright green grasshopper. I looked closer and I saw that it was a mantis! I caught it and put it in a jar with a twig, where it is sitting next to me now. Anyone know if it's male or female?

The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.
    My growing growlist of growing things

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lucky. I wish I could still catch them. STUPID STORES WE DON'T EVEN NEED!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your mantis is still a juvenile as indicated by the wing pads. When mature the female will have have a larger abdomen that ends in a triangular shaped ovipositor, whereas a male will be smaller and more slender with a rather flat end to the abdomen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct me if im wrong, but i think with mantids that on males their wings are long & they can fly pretty well, while females' wings are too short to function well. So if the wings are long it's probably male, and if they are short it's probably female.

Someday is not a day of the week. Maxx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought they could both fly well, but females are often weighed down by ooths and such. But it's really hard to tell until it has wings. Feed it some flys!
    I regret little to nothing!

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great catch! What you've got there is a healthy Mantis_religiosa (yes thats the scientific name) AKA the European Mantid.
    It can be distinguished easily by a black-ringed spot beneath the fore coxae.
    I belive yours is a female. Six abdominal segments for females. This is an easy species that requires a diapause over winter in order have successful hatchings. Beginners in the hobby usually fail to provide this "cold period" to the oothecae, and thus result in only a handful of nymphs hatching successfully.

Give it vertical space as well as a mesh lid or something that it can hold on to easily at the top of its container in order for it to molt successfully. Feed it any wild caught flying insects and try to stay away from pet store crickets.

Later in the season go out at night and look for areas that are well lit with fog lights or other bright lights. Males will become attracted to the light and you can catch a mate for your female. Breeding is the best part of the hobby.

See THIS forum for help and additional info.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytab View Post
    Correct me if im wrong, but i think with mantids that on males their wings are long & they can fly pretty well, while females' wings are too short to function well. So if the wings are long it's probably male, and if they are short it's probably female.
    ^It depends on the species. Some native US mantids do show the different wing length between the males and the females. However, the majority of species do not, and females can fly very well when not gravid. The thing is that females often don't need to fly. They release pheromones, and males do the flying.

Hope this helps.
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found another one just a few minutes ago! Is it ok to put it in with the other one?
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.
    My growing growlist of growing things

Someday is not a day of the week. Maxx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most mantis's can be cannabalistic so I would separate them to be safe. That's how I keep my mantis's.
    I regret little to nothing!

My Growlist

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast