Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Earthquake Today!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Est View Post
    Good ol' California.

A 5.8 (or 5.6 or whatever it's been downgraded to) is a fairly routine occurrence. Exciting/surprising/scary, but a 5.X in California isn't as big of a deal as in less-prepared areas. We're built for this... to an extent.
    Yeah . . .

I was in Santa Cruz for Loma Prieta Earthquake in 1989, taking classes at Cabrillo and at Uncle Charlie's when it hit. I had just stocked the incubator with dozens of cultures for a microbiology class (don't you just love those campus jobs?) and was grabbing some coffee. The direction of the quake threw the doors to the incubator open and petri dishes were flung like frisbees across the entire lab -- less than ten minutes after I left. Guys in serious biohazard suits did the clean up and we weren't back in class for about two weeks.

Also, a house I had considered renting with a girlfriend in the downtown exploded from a gas leak; there was nothing left but the foundation and shards of wood about the size of pencils.

Dodged another bullet.

Should have wisely invested in Lotto back then . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was in Santa Cruz for Loma Prieta Earthquake in 1989, taking classes at Cabrillo and at Uncle Charlie's when it hit.
    What a coincidence! My family had pretty much just moved to Aptos (Santa Cruz County; between SC City and Watsonville) from Germany when the quake hit. Considering the fact that Cabrillo is pretty much in Nisene Marks in which the quake originated, I'm not surprised about the frisbee effect! lol

Actually, I'm going to Cabrillo College now. Gonna be taking a Micro Bio and O-chem class next semester, so if we get another one of those big quakes any time soon, I imagine that I'll have an experience similar to yours (haz-mat suits and all.) haha

Yeah, the news kept going on about all this earthquake stuff, and then a caller says, "Umm, there really was no damage."
    A slow news day will blow these things out of proportion. For areas of the country not used to earthquakes and/or the Richter Scale, I'm sure that it could all be made out to be rather scary.
    ¯\(º_o)/¯ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was actually surprised at the repeated showings of a few dishes on the floor and a minor water main leak that occupied hours of CNN reporting. I'm sure the people in Peru who were hit with a devastating 8.0 quake earlier in the year would be scratching their heads over that.

The LA quake even pushed out the breaking news of the indictment of the Alaska Senator on perjury charges that really should have been bribery charges.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i died in that earthquake.*sarcasm*
    Happy Holiday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on the USGS news release list and here's one for earthquake fans:

News Release
    U.S. Department of the Interior
    U.S. Geological Survey

Release Date: July 29, 2008

Contacts: Dale Cox, dacox@usgs.gov, 916-997-4209
    Mark Benthian, benthien@usc.edu, 213-926-1683

Southern Californians Urged to Join Largest Earthquake Drill in U.S. History

The magnitude 5.4 earthquake that rocked southern California on July 29, 2008, is about 5,000 times smaller than the magnitude 7.8 earthquake depicted in the “ShakeOut Earthquake Scenario.” This new report is a portrayal of what could happen in a major earthquake on the southern end of the San Andreas Fault. The scenario is the basis of the Great Southern California ShakeOut, a week of special events featuring the largest earthquake drill in U.S. history on November 13, 2008. Details are at www.ShakeOut.org.

"Yesterday's earthquake was a wake-up call - a reminder to us to make the important changes we need to survive the inevitable," said Dr. Lucy Jones, of the U.S. Geological Survey, who led the group of over 300 experts who detailed the expected consequences of a hypothetical magnitude 7.8 earthquake that starts at the Salton Sea and ruptures northward along the San Andreas fault for 190 miles.

With 22 million people living and working in southern California, a major earthquake in the region could cause an unprecedented catastrophe. What we do now, before a big earthquake, will determine what our lives will be like after. With large earthquakes an inevitable part of their future, Southern Californians must act quickly to ensure that disasters do not become catastrophes.

With a goal of at least 5 million participants, the ShakeOut drill will be the largest in U.S. history. To participate, go to www.ShakeOut.org/register and pledge your family, school, business, or organization’s participation in the drill. Registered participants will receive information on how to plan their drill, connect with other participants, and encourage a dialogue with others about earthquake preparedness. There are many ways to take part, but at the least participants should “Drop, Cover, and Hold On” at 10 A.M. on November 13. It all begins with registering, which is free and open to everyone.
    For more information, visit www.ShakeOut.org and be sure to visit the official ShakeOut Blog at greatsocalshakeout.blogspot.com.

USGS provides science for a changing world. For more information, visit www.usgs.gov.

Subscribe to USGS News Releases via our electronic mailing list or RSS feed.

**** www.usgs.gov ****
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123