What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One room FINISHED!! Kitchen before and after pictures.

Well Phission, you could not pay me enough to go to med school. 12-13 years of school to work in a profession that keeps getting a pay cut is not for me. I will stick with being a nurse where I know it stays about even and I don't have to work all the time. Call starts to suck after a while. I have been in medicine for 10 years now and Docs make good money, but your on call a lot and I don't want that. Not to mention I hear a lot of them complaining about pay cuts from medicare and the insurance reimbursements. Then your forced to work even more to make the same money you used to make. Unless of course you go into the few remaining good paying spots or you become a plastic surgeon (All cash business). Even the ones that I know of working in the areas still getting reimbursed a pretty penny for their services (interventional radiology) You know the guy that does the heart caths, still work 6-7 days a week. I knew a nurse who dated one. He made about a million a year and had a lot of nice things, but she said he was ALWAYS working. 6-7 days a week and coming home late every day. To me had no home life. They are no longer together. He did buy her a Mercedes with cash and took her nice places, but normally he worked very very very long hours and was on call a very lot. So good luck.

Our semester just ended and I am out for three weeks. Classes start again on the 18th. I never do the assigned reading. I find it a waste of time. I know most of the BS anyway and if you learn how to take the tests you can figure out the answers. I am a firm believer in the professors should TEACH YOU, that is what they paid to do. Not tell you to read the book. That burns me up when they say read the book. I think to myself, learn to teach that is your profession. In the real world you can always look something up, school is just a formality. I already know how to do the job I want to do so school is really just a formality for me. I have always worked in the OR as a surgical tech and I want to be an OR nurse, something I have done already anyway. The only part I have not done is the paperwork piece because I am not a nurse and every place is different and you learn to do that at your facility anyway.

Any who Good luck with your 12-13 years of school to become a Doctor.

Eh it only takes 12 years if you become a neurosurgeon. You could do dermatology in 6 or ortho in 9. I don't see where all these people are saying if you're a doctor, you're absolutely guaranteed to have to work in a hospital, and you'll be forced to work 12 hour days every day, for horrible pay. All the doctors I know seem to be doing the opposite, unless they have a bad specialty like OB/GYN or peds.

And yeah, the money is good, but I'm in this because it's the only profession where you're legally allowed to fillet someone open, and start rearranging their internal organs. I mean seriously, how freakin cool is that?

ya know PK that last statement almost makes me want to switch studies haha

Ortho still takes 12 years last I heard. your residency for surgery is 4 years, anesthesilology is 5 because you have to have one year of something else then 4 years for your specialty. Now that doesn't mean it hasn't changed. I do not work in a teaching hospital and have not even looked into it. If I wanted to do something more I would go become a CRNA. Can make just about as much as an anesthesilogist without all the call and long nights.

Your right not all Docs work in hospitals, but if your talking about doing the type of surgery your refuring to your just about garenteed to be. I personaly do not want the responsibilty and danger of getting sued around every corner. All the Docs I know of here in the OR do pull long hours and even if they are not doing surgery they still have office hours to do. Then you have to round on your pts that are in the hospital. I even saw my family practice Doc rounding on his pts in the hospital when I was doing clinicals at one of the local hospitals.

So what kinds of Docs have you been talking to that are nor working hell of a lot of hours to get the money they have? Now don't get me wrong they do make good money, but the ammount of hours needed to make that money are to great for me. I want to enjoy my life and spend it with my family. Not working for money I will never have time to spend. Not to mention all the other reasons.

Anywho :offtopic: could we get back on topic?

Back