What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

change of plans for wisconsin---names of bogs in central WI?

So...my family decided to change plans at the last second.
instead of NW WI we're headed through the SW to the Green Bay area.
i figured we could hit a peat bog in the central area of WI.
I read a site that described 4 peat bog areas mainly in the central to central-east part of WI but found no specific names---i'm sure it's to protect them. I'll have to look back to find the names of the counties.
I know that Wisconsin Long-Fibered Sphagnum is centered in Warrens, but once again, have no idea where the bogs actually are.

Thanks again, in advance, for the help!
Take care,
Aaron

I think there'll be fewer options because of agricultural development, so spend some time researching before you leave.

ya, i've tried to, but it looks like i'm going to come up w/ a big'ol goose egg on this one :(

the only website i've seen in all my research w/ anything valuable is this:
http://www.wnrmag.com/stories/2000/apr00/mossy.htm

In the middle of the article, it says that the sphagnum is concentrated in and around these following places: Jackson County Forest, the Meadow Valley Wildlife Area, the Necedah National Wildlife Refuge

but once again, i have no idea on the specific locations of the bogs at these large sites.
Later,
Aaron

The link below will take you to the University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point herbarium web site. Type in the name of the plant you are interested in, and with a little digging, you should find most everything you need.

http://wisplants.uwsp.edu/search.html

Have fun!

I think the peninsula that heads northeast from Green Bay is Door County and that's supposed to be beautiful. Maybe that's where you're going. That's some well-known rock, but it's a carbonate and more likely to have calcareous fens than acidic bogs. It's more resistant than ordinary limestone and is basically the same rock that forms the peninsula and islands Canadians travel to this time of year in Lake Huron and it's also what the water falls over at Niagara Falls. Niagara Falls . . . slowly I turned . . .

Huntsmanshorn---
DUDE! that site rocks.
it actually gives me hope that i can see cps in the wild.
and there are plenty that are in the exact area we'll be heading.
i owe you big time.

herenorthere,
interesting info. Door is where we'll be ending up/camping out, so that's good to know.
Thanks to both of you,
Aaron

Back