Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: the evolutionary advantage of religion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I know is in Islam is dogs are unclean according to the Koran.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The funniest thing about all these "debates" is the premise that the created know more than the creator, if one is taken into consideration. It is also funny how everyday the anti-God crowd continues to juggle new ideas why there isn't a God or why certain people "needed" a God due to "their circumstances".

If you're so sure about the existence of God, then what's the need to continue going on a crusade? The real answer will be revealed when you die.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There isn't a debate going on; it's a discussion.

As for the pork prohibition, it's been a lot of years since I read about it or even thought much about it, but I think the benefit of having cattle, goats, etc instead of pigs is that it allows for a pastoral life, which makes for a more efficient use of an arid environment. The idea isn't that religions intentionally prohibited this or encouraged that to make followers more ecologically efficient, but a religion whose laws/rituals did happen to do that would be more successful. Not only because the followers thrived, but because outsiders would notice and be attracted to the stronger god.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drosera36 View Post
    I was always told that the reason that certain cultures don't eat pig is because they are dirty animals, which makes sense, although that could be a "cover up"? lol

And I think the same goes for dogs in Islam; they cannot be kept in the home, but can be used as guard dogs, and this is because they are dirty. Or something like that. I could be wrong.

-Ben

As a Muslim, here are my thoughts

Pigs: haraam (forbidden) animals. They're very dirty because they wallow in mud and feces and their flesh is infested with parasites.

Also, in Islam, animals have to be killed a certain way. The animal is hung upside down, the person killing the animal says "bismillah" ("In the name of God") and then slits the animal's throat. This death is instant because the blood immediately drains from the head, so there is no suffering for the animal. And since there is no suffering, the meat isn't tough because the animals tense up when they are being slaughtered any other way.

Pigs don't have a throat to slit, so that's another reason why we don't eat them.

As for dogs, their saliva is impure (because they lick their crotch to clean themselves), so if a dog licks us, we have to wash that spot 7 times to make sure all the impurities are washed away.

That being said, I'm personally a dog lover. Look at how cute these pooches are:

Quote Originally Posted by Goofzilla View Post
    All I know is in Islam is dogs are unclean according to the Koran.

Not according to the Qu'ran (I think), but there is a Hadith (saying) of the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) that dog's saliva is unclean.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it the same with cats and other "pets"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson16 View Post
    Is it the same with cats and other "pets"?

No, cats are cleaner than dogs to my knowledge. But dogs and puppies are more loveable.

Islam teaches us to be kind to animals. There's a story of the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) that a cat was sleeping on his robes, and he cut out a hole in his robes around the cat so he could get up without waking the cat.

There's another story about a man who was traveling, and when he saw a thirsty dog, he filled his shoe with water and gave it to the dog to drink. Muhammad (SAW) said this man was granted Paradise for his good deed.

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to change the subject, but does SAW refer to respecting Muhammad? (SAW)

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drosera36 View Post
    Not to change the subject, but does SAW refer to respecting Muhammad? (SAW)

-Ben

Yes. It's the Arabic abreviation for "Peace be upon Him".

We hold the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) and all other Prophets like Jesus, Moses, Noah, Abraham, etc in high regard, so we use the term (SAW) or (PBUH) after saying or writing their name.

Wolfn's Growlist

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast