Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: the evolutionary advantage of religion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    most any land critter over bout 50 pounds is hung upside down and bled....i do it to deer, speed goats, elk ect but dont bother with critters such as fish, birds, rabbits ect....most all beef pork, mutton ect is hung and bled AFTER the critter is dead......pork isnt any more dangerous than chicken or ground beef purchased from a large chain store....infact wild shot rabbits hold more issues than normal pork due to parasites and disease if your not careful in cleaning the animal and meat preperation.....in fact i wont consider eating them till we have had several hard frosts as the disease transfered via fleas is pretty high....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fryster View Post
    But I'd like to see/read some articles on something like, "the religious advantage of the theory of evolution".
    I can't see how the scientific theory of evolution can be a strict advantage for religions. One could say that it can be beneficial by weeding out what some find to be the undeniable, factually incorrect parts of religious texts and in the process giving birth to certain sects which now accept evolutionary theory and consider something like genesis to be just a metaphor.

On the other hand, the theory weakens most other religions that give an account of creation and that is why so many religious people refuse to accept the theory and actively attempt to refute it.

In the long run I suppose evolutionary theory could seem to be beneficial to the survival of Christianity, but Christianity is notorious for change (historically speaking). I think its mostly Christianity's ability/willingness to change over periods of time that insure its survival so the theory of evolution really doesn't play a part in this religion, save for any amendments to the understanding of creation it may account for.

Now that I re-read your post, I'm not sure If I understood it correctly. Did I address it or mistake it for something else?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were to look for an advantage to kosher & halal, it would be that strict observance requires knowing the source of the meat and knowledge that the animal was healthy which, back in the days before refrigeration and government certification, might have saved some lives.

For Kosher and Halal, cattle really are killed by having their throat slit. The way it was described to me (the squeamish should skip ahead) was that the animal has a rope around its muzzle and the end of the rope is run through a ring on the floor and the head is pulled to the floor and any sayings are said and then the throat is slit and it bleeds to death. That obviously doesn't fit the disassembly line approach of the US's meat industry, but that's what's done on a local level. If kosher, the meat also has to be kashered, which means to salt and soak it to remove as much blood as possible. We used to buy kosher chickens at the Jewish market in town because the meat seemed better than what we could get elsewhere. Now that I'm a vegetarian, it isn't an issue anymore. I don't know if halal has a similar step and, if Ahmad is still following this, please let me know.

Ahmad's mention of of occasionally eating non-halal reminds me of when I went to grad school at 23 and I met another new grad student who was a Pakistani. For the first week or so he struggled to find something he liked in the cafeteria. That's hard enough for those of us born here, so imagine if you're from somewhere else. Then he discovered hotdogs and began eating them twice a day. One day he started telling us about how difficult it was to be Muslim in Maine, because he couldn't eat pork. The rest of us started looking back and forth at each other and I finally mumbled something about hot dogs having pork in them. He had this look of shock, started to put it down and then went ahead and finished it off, saying he had to eat something.

As for what Rattler said about rabbits, I never hunted them but that's what rabbit hunters have told me and that they make sure to cook them thoroughly and cleanup extra well after preparing them. I'll stick with my veggies, grains and this awesome bottle of beer that's next to me. It isn't kosher and it certainly isn't halal but, at 9.8% alcohol, I know it contains no parasites.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were to look for an advantage to kosher & halal, it would be that strict observance requires knowing the source of the meat and knowledge that the animal was healthy which, back in the days before refrigeration and government certification, might have saved some lives.
    actually Bruce that does make alot of sense......as for the beer......there are no known diseases, microbes ect(other than yeast) that can survive in beer
    cervid serial killer
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!

Hort. School dropout X 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In his earlier years my dad was a butcher, before he became a farmer. I think he actually did more like a kosher kill without the rabbi being there. the were a lot of folk of the jewish faith who lived in the town where he learned to be a butcher.
    he alos killed chickens by sltting there throats and letting all the blood drain out before he left them go flopping all over the yard. he usually did tisi after dark, guess wehn all the milking and other chores were done. it was gr8 sport as a child to go find the chickens using a flashlight.

We had to get our fun whereever we could.LOL
    Every seed that you plant ,doesn't sprout.
    Every seed that sprouts, doesn't make it to maturity.
    Every cutting that you stick doesn't grow roots.
    Every cutting that roots doesn't grow to a small plant.
    Every small plant doesn't reach maturity.

Who needs speelcheck?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler_mt View Post
    there are no known diseases, microbes ect(other than yeast) that can survive in beer
    Actually, there are. A whole slew of them.

That is the great thing about microbes, no matter the conditions there is going to be something that lives in them.

You do not have to stop drinking your beer for fear of getting sick though, the little beasties that can/do grow in beer are non-pathogenic
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your right Pyro.....thats what i ment......
    cervid serial killer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler_mt View Post
    your right Pyro.....
    Of course I am right. I am God after all
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast