What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Olympic Opening Ceramonies

• Thread starter obregon562
  • Start date

obregon562

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating.
Supporter
Who else have seen/are watching this? I found it transfixing. Amazing spectacle, but much like the country itself, had dark and mysterious undertones. I couldnt quite trust it. It seemed to good to be true. Near the begining when all the children handed of the flag to staunch and frankly scary army officers-who all looked alike and marched much like the Nazi soldiers (sorry, its true), was all i needed to know.

Whaddid you think of it?

I was working so I didn't see it but I saw video of downtown Beijing earlier in the day, that's some smog! Especially considering they claim to have pulled 50%+ vehicles off the streets and shut down the biggest polluters for the time the olympics is in town. Makes me glad we have at least some government regs on controlling emissions here. If the Republicans had their way (no emissions regulationss) we'd never see across the street again.

I thought it was amazing! They really know how to wow a crowd!

very impressive I thought,
not saying I "trust" anything... but it was very impressive... of course they spent billions on it ya know?

but hey they want china to look good... I think they gave it an honest effort..

now what events are everyone watching?
I'm particular to obviously the swimming this year, but the boxing and taekwondo and judo matches are going to be super fun

I didn't see it, but they might have a video up of it sometime soon. But, I did hear that they put fake walls up to block out the houses of the poor people and such to make it look better.

I thought it was one of the better opening ceremonies I'd seen, but it reaffirmed my undying hatred for Bob Costas.
~Joe

but it reaffirmed my undying hatred for Bob Costas.

seriously! he sucked!

i agree with you cmm, thats a good way to put it.

Capensis, i hope thats not true. I could see that happening though.

Im watching frickin everything! soccer, team handball is prety cool, fencing (we swept! bronze, silver & gold!), and i cant wait for the rest!

It had some amazing moments-the blocks with people under them comes to mind as do the people running along the side of the giant globe-but I was getting a little bored with it by the time the parade started. At least it was tasteful-not 2008 Elivs impersonators skydiving into the mouth of a giant dragon while some Chinese rap group played.

I liked how the poorer the country in the parade, the nicer I thought their outfits were. There was some amazing ethnic garb from some small, not-so-well-off nations. I think it was France though that looked like they were getting ready for their shift at the Drive Thru at Long John Silver's.

I'm watching swimming the most. GO MICHAEL PHELPS! I used to be a professional swimmer when I was younger...this totally brings back memories for me. I'm rooting for Hungary (since I was born there) for Canada (since I lived there for 20 years) and for the USA, since I live here now :) GO TEAMS!

I won't and will not watch. It's just not interesting to me.

However, I did see The People's Republic of Capitalism on the Discovery Channel weeks earlier. Very insightful documentary on China that mentioned the Olympics.

I'll take that giant tv screen they had on the floor!
It was cool that they had Sarah Brightman, what a nice surprise.

I was glad Korea won woman's archery and men's 400 meter swim. Lost soccer though.

We absolutely demolished China in basketball. Go Redeem Team! Phelps won his first gold (no pressure on him!), Hoff got bronze (400 IM), tied in mens soccer, won in womens, and we won a couple other things! woohoo!

I liked how the poorer the country in the parade, the nicer I thought their outfits were. There was some amazing ethnic garb from some small, not-so-well-off nations. I think it was France though that looked like they were getting ready for their shift at the Drive Thru at Long John Silver's.

I chuckled at the group in red polos and white cargo shorts. The Dutch maybe? They looked like a big crowd of tourists. What was with all the people taking pictures of themselves in front of the TV cameras? I mean, really, isn't there a more opportune time?
~Joe

I thought the opening ceremony was nice, but I didn't like the fact that a good portion of the fireworks were computer generated, and the little girl singing was only lip-syncing, as the girl actually singing wasn't "cute" enough. I think the goverment was a little too obsessed with perfection.

I was working so I didn't see it but I saw video of downtown Beijing earlier in the day, that's some smog! Especially considering they claim to have pulled 50%+ vehicles off the streets and shut down the biggest polluters for the time the olympics is in town. Makes me glad we have at least some government regs on controlling emissions here. If the Republicans had their way (no emissions regulationss) we'd never see across the street again.

Sorry Swords your so full of it when you claim to blame the Republicans on this. Just because your world saviour Al "I'm to good to do it" Gore says so doesn't mean its true. It doesn't mean that all republicans want zero emissions regulations. IMO many of the Dems want to continue buying oil from people who do not like us so much and leave us still indebted to others who don't like us. Frankly I don't care for either political party. They are both tired and old as hell. Even the rock star still plays the old tired cards the old guys do. He is just like the rest of them and frankly can't stand him either. When you turn your nose up at the troops and refuse to shake the hand of the people that give you the freedoms you have every day.

Anywho back to the topic. I didn't watch the opening ceremonies because I was busy entertaining at a party We were having, but I did see pictures and they were stunning. It has been a great show so far. The building are amazing and they went all out. I agree at how the soldiers march like the Nazi's did. Stuff happens. You do realize they are still a communist country. So go figure. They may be trying to change. The Olympics is a chance for them to show the world they are trying to play on the world stage.

Back