What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

White list?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I was doing a forum search for D. regia threads and got this message:

"In order to accept POST request originating from this domain, the admin must add this domain to the whitelist."

What's that all about?

No idea.. I ran the search just now and this topic was the first of the list lol does it keep doing it?

Some sort of spam filter I would imagine.

Admittedly I was using the pc at Home Depot. This is the same network that only allows me about 3 window changes before it logs me off, requiring that I exit the window and re-invent the wheel by doing Google, Terraforums, Login,.... Their whole network is frustrating. They have no dropdown arow to go back to a previous page. There are some sites that don't have Go Back at all. They don't have a normal copy and paste, unless you do CTRL C and CTRL V. You can't copy a link at all. It's like dangling a carrot in front of a horse.... :-O

They are trying to discourage you from using the internet for personal use :p

Yeah, it sounds like the local network admin limited the access to outside sites. 'Whitelist' is just tech speak for a list of approved sites/domains, addresses etc.

They sure do make things convoluted and cumbersome. Oddly enough, the other forums don't automatically log me off. OTOH, every time I switch windows there is an message about a certain character on a particular line that has an error and it asks if I want to continue running scripts on that page. It doesn't matter whether if it's a discussion forum or ESPN or Accuweather or whatever. There's always some error! We can't check our emails, either.

Since it is a work or library computer you typically use you have to put up with their site and content filters. You're also stuck with whatever software the powers-that-be deem fit to run on them.

If you have a USB drive you can get Portable Firefox to run from the drive.

Does that mean I can bypass Home Depot's silly filter for TF? It's only TF that it has on a short leash.

Probably not, it's most likely Home Depot's firewall that is filtering based on domain name or IP address. Using your own browser would still go through their firewall.

You could try a proxy/anonymizer but the free ones either don't support posting, filter all images or have annoying popup ads and can be real slow. Or any combination of the above.

browseatwork.com is one of the better ones but it filters images which is 75% the fun of TF.

You work in the garden center right? Maybe you can convince your boss to convince the IT people to whitelist TF - after all it can help you with customer relations.

Proxy//anonymizer? That went over my head! I think I'd have to convince "Corporate", in Atlanta, since they control everything, including heat and AC.

Back