User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fostering a Greyhound....hopefully!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greyhounds are so cute! I used to have guinea pigs too.
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.
    My growing growlist of growing things

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_OrchidGuy View Post
    I hope your ready to take these dogs for fast walks. I hear they need to get out and stretch and have room to run.

Just out of curiosity how much do they eat?
    The Greyhound we had before didn't walk fast, but Taylee does so I'm used to it I take Taylee for a 55 minute fast walk every morning. We have a fenced in backyard, so they can run there, or we can take them to the fenced in dog park that's by our house.

The Greyhound we had before didn't eat much. Twice a day, a little over 2 cups worth each time. (It's been two years since he passed away, so I can't really remember exactly, but I'm sure it was around there.)
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck. You guys are doing a great thing.
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Joossa The lady was supposed to come tomorrow for the home check, but now it's been moved to Thursday. I don't know what I'm going to do about references though. I have one person from Jeff's work, and then I have my best friend but she's in California and I don't know if they take references from people who don't live in our state? The last one is my dogs vet, but we've met him maybe 3 times in 2 years and the last time was about 7 months ago! I have a ton of people I can use as references, but they're all in Canada! I'm trying not to worry about it, because this is all I've got. Wish us luck for Thursday!
    Great Googly Moogly!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I"m sure you'll do fine, Trapper7. They usually just want to make sure you're capable of responsibly caring for the dogs. You obviously would take good care of it, and I'm sure they'll realize that quickly. Believe me, they need people like you badly, and will be happy to have found another foster family. So, are you considering adopting one? Or just fostering? By the way, two greyhounds are better (and in some ways easier) than one!

Oh, JB, greyhounds don't need any more walking than a normal dog. They are sprinters, and don't have great endurance, so on leash they are content to just walk alongside you. It takes a BIG yard before they're comfortable getting a run going. And when they do, it's crazy! They go like twice the speed of a normal running dog, and it's almost scary. But they only run for 5 minutes and then are done, after which they just like to poke around and socialize.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Capslock View Post
    And when they do, it's crazy! They go like twice the speed of a normal running dog, and it's almost scary.
    You got that right! Taylee (our Whippet cross) is extremely fast! When she's playing with other dogs, none of them can catch her, so now they don't play with her, lol. Poor Taylee.

Thanks for the nice compliments No, we can't have another one, we can't afford another dog. If there was an emergency, we would never be able to afford the vet bill for another one, so we'll just stick with one. We would love to adopt though, but not right now. The rescue pays for the medical care and the food when you foster, so this works out perfectly. We'll have another dog and not have to pay anything for it, just give it love Win win! I'll be sad when he gets a home, but then we'll foster another one, if it works out
    Great Googly Moogly!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Jeff and I will be official foster parents to a Greyhound this Saturday!!! I'm so happy! They just left a few minutes ago and they were very impressed. Taylee was such a good girl! They brought over an 86 pound male Greyhound named Turbo to see how Taylee was with other dogs, and they totally hit it off

We will be fostering a 61 pound female named Dancer. She is 7 years old Here is what she looks like.

Isn't she pretty Hopefully Taylee and Dancer will be good buddies. I'm so excited!
    Great Googly Moogly!

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations and good luck! She's a beautiful dog.
    I assume that whole reference thing went ok?
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast