What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yay! Just hatched monarchs

• Thread starter Adam
  • Start date

Adam

Sarracenia Collector
My monarch eggs that my females layed a few days ago, just hatched, and 40 of 50 survived, they are so cute!

Where are the pics??

Ill take them as soon as the get bigger, right now its too hard to see them

Congratulations! Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll be raising some myself. :)

WHAT is the shortage of butterflies nowadays??

I never see 'em like I used to when I was a kid. Do they go into decades-long population cycles?

Pesticides, im doing my part of nature by helping monarchs, they seem to be the rarest actually.

Edit: Whoops! I misread your post. Nevermind.

Congrats on the bugs. How many are there?

Bad news... My monarchs mated again, and laid eggs, and are mating right now. Im leaving the eggs just on the cutting for right now

Why is that bad news? Now you'll REALLY be helping the Monarch population :-D

I hope you have a lot of milkweed. The babies grow REALLY fast. 10 days ago I collected some eggs off milkweed. Now some of the caterpillars are two inches long and all they do is eat! lol get ready to clean out a LOT of poop if you're keeping them in a cage!

DW, I have 2 full milkweeds, but unfortunately they have the beetles http://www.mongabay.com/images/peru/tambopata/Tambopata_1028_4632.JPG that eat them, and the butterfly weeds clean. I made some butterfly weed cuttings, and put them in the container method. ALso, no problem with the frass(poo) for me, the remaining ones im letting them stay outside, on a few cuttings, when they get bigger im putting a net on. Also, its bad news cause i dont have containers or any room for them, so im letting them outside

Back