User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which carnivorous plants grow in shady conditions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which carnivorous plants grow in shady conditions?

Which carnivorous plants grow in shady conditions? I'm thinking of getting a Nepenthes for my windowsill, and I would like another carnivorous plant to be grown in the same pot.

Any ideas?
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nepenthes don't really prefer shady conditions, some will tolerate it for a while but to get nice pitchers you need to have high humidity and good bright light. Intense afternoon light (western) will often fry them but direct or dappled morning light (eastern) through midday is good for Neps as it's not so scorching but you gotta keep that humidity over 50% RH (80% is best) for constant quality pitcher production. Otherwise you just get dried, unformed lumps on the ends of tendrils. Misting 2 or 3 times a day isn't any more benefitial than breathing on them 2 or 3 times a day to supply excess CO2. Misting is a temporary solution to an all day problem unless they are contained in a growing chamber where evaporation is restricted, then misting is worthwile. I don't really know of any carnivores which prefer or perform well under shady conditions, most of my windows are shady and I do best under artificial lights. Carnivores are still plants first and foremost and need light for their main biological processes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I'm ordering a Pinguicula Caerula to put in the same pot as my Nepenthes.

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    none that i can think off.......in the shade outside....plenty......but shady indoors....none......some Utrics will grow OK in shady conditions indoors but they will likely not flower...

one thing to keep in mind is "shade outdoors" and "shade indoors" are two very different levels of light.....lots of normally shade loving outdoor plants are best grown in very bright light indoors.......while it might look bright to you even a single pane of glass cuts out alot of the spectrums of light that plants use......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler_mt View Post
    none that i can think off.......in the shade outside....plenty......but shady indoors....none......some Utrics will grow OK in shady conditions indoors but they will likely not flower...

one thing to keep in mind is "shade outdoors" and "shade indoors" are two very different levels of light.....lots of normally shade loving outdoor plants are best grown in very bright light indoors.......while it might look bright to you even a single pane of glass cuts out alot of the spectrums of light that plants use......

Well, by shady, I mean bright light followed by 2-3 hours of direct sunlight.

When I'm talking full sunlight, that's like 5-7 hours of sunlight.

Most CPs need full sunlight, so I was talking about plants that do better without full sunlight.

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do better without full sun through a window? likely none.......most would be happiest with as much as you can give......2-3 hours of direct sun through glass is not as much as you think....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    d. adelae
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmad View Post
    Which carnivorous plants grow in shady conditions? I'm thinking of getting a Nepenthes for my windowsill, and I would like another carnivorous plant to be grown in the same pot.

Any ideas?
    Aside from quite a few Nepenthes, Cephalotus and Darlingtonia grow well in partially-shaded conditions.
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast