User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brewing, microbes, and yeast... oh my!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I think I am going to try my first attempt at just making up a recipe. I know the style I'm shooting for is loosely defined, but if anyone has any comments/suggestions, it'd be appreciated. This is my current ingredients list: (keep in mind I really don't like bitter beers, and the more alc, the better lol)

6lb Gold Malt syrup
    3.15lb wheat malt syrup
    1oz Saaz (bittering)
    1oz Strisselspalt (flavoring)
    whirlfloc
    yeast fuel
    Wyeast Biere De Garde Private Collection

Thinking of adding 3/4-1oz orange zest
    maybe using 1lb of flaked maize or barley??

Will normal priming sugar be fine, or for this recipe should I use clear Belgian candi? If I do, should I skip the maize or barley?
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it has diverged from my realm so this is all I will add

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlULgi92zK8
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    Ok I think I am going to try my first attempt at just making up a recipe. I know the style I'm shooting for is loosely defined, but if anyone has any comments/suggestions, it'd be appreciated. This is my current ingredients list: (keep in mind I really don't like bitter beers, and the more alc, the better lol)

6lb Gold Malt syrup
    3.15lb wheat malt syrup
    1oz Saaz (bittering)
    whirlfloc
    yeast fuel

Thinking of adding 3/4-1oz orange zest
    maybe using 1lb of flaked maize or barley??

Will normal priming sugar be fine, or for this recipe should I use clear Belgian candi? If I do, should I skip the maize or barley?
    I wouldn't add any orange zest to this if you are going for a true Biere De Garde style. But, if you like orange flavors in your beers then go for it, thats why you're brewing it!!

I might be inclined to up the malt extract because at the moment you're sitting at an OG of 1.060 which is at the lower end of the spectrum for this beer according to the BJCP Style Guide. Plus, you commented that more alcohol = more better. So maybe add a couple more pounds of base malt extract... But, if you could find some Pilsner extract that would be great for this recipe!!

I would also probably steep at least some specialty grains in there just to give more depth of flavor. Some Caramunich II and maybe some Biscuit or Special B if you can find them (based on info from Maltose Falcons).

Normal priming sugar will be fine; I just go with 5oz for most things I bottle.

But, the great thing about homebrewing is that you can just do whatever you want and it will usually come out pretty excellent! Let us know the results!!!
    Small Growlist: Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N00b question, but how can you tell what the original gravity will be based on those ingredients?

I used 9.15lb extract x 38/5 and got 1.069
    Z polski y dumny
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every lb of LME (Liquid Malt Extract) will yield 1.037 per gallon of water, or 37 gravity points.

So 9lbs x 37pts = 333pts..... 333pts / 5Gal = 66.6 or a gravity of 1.066 approx.

Or the easy way.... Calculator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I may switch out the 3.15 wheat for a 3lb Pilsen (dry). That should pull OG to 1.0718, with an avg of that yeast's attenuation (76.5), I should have a final of 1.017.

Using the ratio of CO2 per ethanol 1.05, I should get: 1.05 x (1.0718 – 1.017) = 0.0575 kg/L.
    Then 0.0575/1.017 = 5.65% by weight, or 5.65%0.79 = 7.15% by volume.

My final recipe would be:
    1lb Belgian biscuit malt
    6lb Gold Malt syrup
    3lb Breiss Pilsen DME #3
    1oz Saaz (bittering)
    whirlfloc
    yeast fuel

$41.52 before shipping and any possible tax....hopefully this isn't horrible lol.
    Z polski y dumny
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    I think I may switch out the 3.15 wheat for a 3lb Pilsen (dry). That should pull OG to 1.0718, with an avg of that yeast's attenuation (76.5), I should have a final of 1.017.
    If you let the fermentation temps start out slow then slowly ramp up the temperature to around say, 80F, if should attenuate down a bit more. You really want this style of beer to finish dry. If it doesn't attenuate all the way down you could consider pitching some other yeast; I would go with Safale S-05 because its very neutral and won't clash with the Wyeast's flavors. All of this info is taken out of Jamil Zainasheff's book "Brewing Classic Styles".

Also... you are planning on making a yeast starter, right? A beer this big will really need a bunch of yeast to get going. Check out www.mrmalty.com for "proper pitching rates".

Neal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I will once everything comes in. I've never had to use one before, but I'll figure it out when it gets closer to that time. Not too sure how to make sure it ends up at 3.26L of starter though. Also, would I have to buy another lb of DME, or can I make the starter from the stuff I'll already be buying for the recipe?
    Z polski y dumny
    ^^^Newest vid

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast