What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

breeding meal worms?

i dont wanna pay $4.00 for 50 little worms if i could grow my own, anyone know how

It is very easy to do.
Get a shoe box size plastic container and fill it up with about 1" of dry oats.
Do not place the cover back onto the container. Moisture buildup will destroy your culture and run the risk of getting grain mites which will also destroy your mealworm culture.
Place the mealworms in the plastic container.
Twice a week place a carrot on top the oats so the mealworms can get their water. Remove any left over carrot pieces at the next feeding.
You can remove any pupated mealworms to a new container or keep them in the same one. I prefer to remove them to a new container.
The pupated mealworms will turn into beetles, breed, and lay eggs. Your next generation of mealworms have started. Depending on what your feeding, you may need several cultures going at one time.

wow man thanxs so much ur real Knowlegeable!(hope i spelled that right). ima use maple brown sugar oatmeal, ok?

In my experience the instant oatmeals do not work as well. If you go to the store though you can get the plain old fashioned oatmeal pretty cheap its usually way up on the top self. One other thing if you leave beetles and pupa together the beetles will eat some of the pupa but unless you need a lot of worms you should be fine

Back