User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone ever used a Mind Wave Stimulator?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I strongly agree with phission. Chinese "medicine" is no different from the old Western system of the 4 humours - just as baseless, yet they claimed success after every time someone got better, whether the treatment actually helped or not.
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact that lots of herbalism is new age nonsense doesn't mean that all of it is. People realized long ago that different plant parts can have amazing effects, even if they didn't understand the biochemistry. Most of our improved health can be attributed to sanitation, not modern medicine. Dollar for dollar, traditional cures might be better. It doesn't matter to people with the money or insurance to fill a prescription or get surgery, but modern medicine has little to offer those in the world who can't afford it.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why are you guys talking about chinese meds, surgery, etc. when I asked about an electronic psychedelic toy? It's about as far away from herbs and spices and doctors as you can get, no?

Thanks again Feed Me for answering my question.

Herenorthere, yes seizures can be a problem for some people (epileptics) when they're exposed to flashing lights. Those who are affected can also get them from videgames, concert light shows, strobe lights and Mtv - back in the 1980s when they actually played music videos. Several of these items do have the seizure warnings on them. I think even my DVD player had a warning in the booklet when I was setting it up. I haven't had problems with any of those items so I figure I'm safe with such a toy, although to go into a seizure during a deep meditative state might be akin to a classical "divine rapture" no? lol !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slightly OT:

I don't know anything about the Mindwave Simulator toy/thing, but sounds can have a weird effect on the psyche and body.

Personal Example: I occasionally listen to Fear Factory. Cool tunes. The other day I listened to Fear Factory while half asleep as a passenger on a plane going through a storm at ~18k ft elevation lurching and jerking through the turbulence. That was "TRIPPPYYY!!!' But that's just a mix of atmosphere, mood, mental state, and location.

More Scientific Approach:

Human hearing is typically considered to be 20hz-20khz. Anything below 20hz is often termed 'infrasonic'. Whilst it not (often) audible, it can be felt and can have some interesting effects. Specifically in terms of vision. Scientists have determined that the resonant frequency of the cornea is 18hz, and as such, an 18hz vibration can cause a type of visual hallucinations. (ie. Seeing something just out of the corner of your eye).

Other tests have been done with infrasonic sounds and found that ultra low frequencies can cause feelings of nausea, anxiety, and paranoia in some individuals.

Of course, reproduction of these frequencies in question are not going to occur with a pair of normal headphones or speakers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shane, you're not off topic at all! This is the sort of info I'm interested in persuing after reading of Burrough's work with primitive forms of it described in the interview book "The Job". Then hearing Robert Anton Wilsons take on the manufactured versions made me even more intrigued.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a job helping with acoustics research in my college's physics department when I was an undergrad. We built a bank of speakers on the back of an army surplus truck for field work and had powerful amplifiers to drive them. We measured sound levels in air and soil and I'm pretty sure we worked our way up from 10 - 15 hz. There weren't any hallucinations at 18 hz and I never felt nerves or panic or any of the other psychological effects I thought might happen because of the low frequencies. Your mileage may vary.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herenorthere View Post
    I had a job helping with acoustics research in my college's physics department when I was an undergrad. We built a bank of speakers on the back of an army surplus truck for field work and had powerful amplifiers to drive them. We measured sound levels in air and soil and I'm pretty sure we worked our way up from 10 - 15 hz. There weren't any hallucinations at 18 hz and I never felt nerves or panic or any of the other psychological effects I thought might happen because of the low frequencies. Your mileage may vary.
    I wonder if possibly the effects weren't there due to it being in an open air environment (If I'm understanding you correctly)? Or if possibly some people just aren't effected by it?

Sound and Acoustics intrigue me, but I don't really know much in the grand scheme of things.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123