Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Preparing for the storm

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's crazy. I'd never put a camera (and my head) so close to a alligator.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never lost power for more than about 6 hours. It still looks like a regular storm.
    I lost power for 13 days after Isabel. That SUCKED. Ice was like gold around here. A friend and I had to drive to Charlottesville to find a few bags of ice and even there it was hard to find. There were so many downed trees over power lines it took the power co. forever to restore all the power. And that was working really hard AND there were volunteers from other states here. It was a mess. I couldn't count how many blocked streets and homes with trees IN them I saw just in a short foray outside after Izzy.

Gaston caused severe flooding here. It took me almost 4 hours to get home from work...normally a 10 min. drive...because of traffic. Cars couldn't go anywhere! I'll never forget the scenes I saw that nite...water shooting up out of manholes like geysers! My basement flooded and I didn't even know it because I never looked. I don't live near water so I never thought about flooding! That was when I learned storm drains back up into your house... I had about 2 feet of water...my neighbor had about 5 feet in her basement. Had to replace my boiler.

Gaston and Isabel were very damaging and costly hurricanes here. And we are inland!
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That must've been a bad experience, PAK
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper7 View Post
    Getting lots of rain/wind here since all day yesterday. How's the flooding in your area? <----That question was for anybody in FL.
    No flooding here in Miami, just raining every day. This storm was really tame, I didn't even bring my plants inside. Then again, we also surf across the lake in category 2s so..

Once you survive something like hurricane Andrew, these little tropical storms are nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper7 View Post
    but I guess I'm greatful it wasn't out for days.
    Honestly, I kind of like it when the power goes out for around 3 days. Neighbors quickly turn into family and friends when our electronics are taken out of the picture. It really transforms the neighborhood. People share food, hang out and talk, play cards. Just things that never happen when theres TV or computers around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think airconditioners are the most antisocial thing ever. Somebody has written about it in a book, but it was obvious here years ago as, one by one, people put an AC in a window and then didn't come outside anymore on summer evenings. People talk about the good old days, but they prefer cool air and personal electronics.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JRFxtreme View Post
    Honestly, I kind of like it when the power goes out for around 3 days. Neighbors quickly turn into family and friends when our electronics are taken out of the picture. It really transforms the neighborhood. People share food, hang out and talk, play cards. Just things that never happen when theres TV or computers around.
    Actually that wouldn't happen in my neighborhood. I've had to call animal control on my neighbor twice in a year because I saw their 14 year old beating the crap out of their dog, and 3 months ago, when their dog attacked me and my dog, they tried to punch my husband in the head and then THEY called the cops on US! Try to figure that one out, lol. So sharing fun stuff with my neighbors is not likely to happen.

Hey look! The sun is out Gonna go take some pictures of the damage around my area. Nothing bad, just lots of trees down.
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a few pictures. No major damage and most people are cleaning up today so all the big trees that were damaged were being chopped down.

The bush in my yard

Across the street

A fence that got some damage

Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Damage. (This was during whne Fay was still here) Some other plants in the back were bent.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast