What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preparing for the storm

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
I'm just sitting here waiting for TS Fay to come through, but they said by the time it hits my area it might be a catagory 1. I'm kinda nervous, seeing as this is my first major storm. I hope everyone in Florida will be safe. If I'm not around it's cause I probably lost my power. Jeff doesn't have to go to work tomorrow, which I'm very happy about. I'd rather not be alone and not know how he's doing. Stay safe everybody in FL!

Cat 1s aren't that bad. Not that they don't do damage. I've been through a Cat 1 at the Outer Banks and loved every minute of it. lol

I am hoping this storm brings us rain soon...we are DESPERATE for rain!!! Everything is frying...drooping...dying.

I was really hoping that this year would be like last year that we didn't get hit by anything. At least it's not a Cat 3 or higher. But, I'll probably have to bring my outside plants in for a day or two, I don't want anything happen to them!

I've already brought my plants in. Even if it's a cat.1 that's still a lot of rain coming and wind too.

Is it going to make land fall and/or have effect on Mid-Florida tomorrow morning?

hahaha cat 1s are nothing, like PAK said, i lived in florida for 14 years. the most damage from a cat 1 i saw was flood damage and a few downed trees.

I know they're almost harmless, but I'm just worried about my plants and power. Now, if it were a Cat 3-5, that's a different story. There was this one hurricane, Hurricane Charlie, We didn't lose power nor signal, but it knocked down the tree I used to climb all the time. Really, I think the worst ones I've ever been through that I know of was Hurricane Francis and Jeanne.

Capensis, I heard that it'll be in our area between12-3pm tomorrow. I wasn't in the US when Charlie hit (I was still living in Canada), but Jeff was here and he lost his power for 4 days and one of his trees fell over onto the neighbors fence. That was a cat. 4 I believe.

Well, I just moved everything inside. And I thought Charlie was Cat 3. Oh well.

It's amazing that a place that gets so much rain has such a water shortage. Good luck tomorrow, even if it is a relatively lightweight hurricane.

Thanks herenorthere :)

Cap, it may have been, I'm not positive.

I was here for Charlie. It made landfall as a category 4, when it reached Central Florida it was a category 2. It went straight over Kissimmee. I lost power for 6 days and had 48 thousand dollars of damage on the house according to the insurance company. I'm sorry people but I agree with Gov. Crist on this one, "There is no such thing as a minimal hurricane." It is apathetic thinking like that that causes people do do stupid things or not take precautions.

That's funny. The hurricane I was in was named Charlie. But y'all are probably talking about the other Charlie. I was surprised they recycled a name so quickly. The day after Charlie everyone was selling "I survived Hurricane Charlie" T-shirts. I bought two. :D

Cat 1s can definitely cause damage and injury. Hurricane Isabel blew through Richmond and caused a tremendous amount of damage. To this day, there isn't a park you can walk through where you don't see tons of downed trees. It's very sad...they look like fallen giants.

Not so bad so far, but still heading way.

PAK, I know how you feel, I used to have a small bunch of pine trees and Hurricane Francis knocked a goot lot of them down and we had to cut/pull out the other ones to prevent property damage. I still miss them :(

Wow only 4-6 days at most for you guys? i lived in jacksonville when we had the 4 in a row ordeal. we lost power for 2 weeks. it sucked.

I've never lost power for more than about 6 hours. It still looks like a regular storm.

Heheh...this reminds me of when Katrina came in and hit Southern Florida, it was Cat 1 and one of my teachers put on the board "Katrina's weak!" And then it hit as a Cat 5. I really don't want anything like that anytime soon.

So far nothing has happened in my area. It's turning, but it keeps missing my area! It's still not over yet though, right now we're under a tornado warning until 1:15am. It's been a little bit windy here, but that's really it. It rained for about 5 minutes and it was very light.

Good to see you're ok! It caused some damage to one of our front yard plants and flooded the backyard. But...this might have been the worst hurricane for me. One of my dearest friends almost go hit by a tornado :(. But she's fine now, thank god.

I'm glad you're ok too Cap! Sorry to hear about your friend, glad she's alright too. So you got flooded? We got nothing! The sky was looking kinda eerie a few minutes ago though.

Lucky! Yeah, the backyard had about 3+ inches of water, but it's starting to seep away. All my plants are fine, too :D. What do you mean it looked eriee?

Back