What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preparing for the storm

It was getting windier and the sky had a green hue to it.

Did it? I didn't notice...I don't suppose it was because of the eye, was it?

That green color can happen in severe storms, hurricane or other. I used to be convinced it was associated with tornadoes, because the first time I noticed it was also the first time a tornado was close. Since then, I've seen it with no torndoes nearby and there have been tornadoes nearby without me seeing the green color. But I still subconsciously connect them. It's a lot more rare here in CT than when I was a kid in MI & MS.

By the way, save that water because you'll be back in drought soon enough.

Hurricanes can be fun or they can be hell. I've been through a lot of them and I've seen the fun side and the not so fun side. I almost lost my life right after hurricane Fran. So I know how bad things can be.

Fay looks like one of the fun ones, you just need to use common sense and you'll be ok.
This storm may cross into the Atlantic, strengthen and then head straight to where I live. I hope so, I need some more fun and we need the rain.

If you want to see one of the fun hurricanes I've been though, you can read about my adventure with hurricane ophelia a few years back.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99933

The pics are no longer there, but you cane click here to see the pics.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...viewPicture&friendID=13526232&albumId=1907144

or go to myspace.com/voodoodancer click pics, then look for the album called Hurricane Ophelia.

Have fun and be safe.

I also thought the green hue was associated with a tornado. We had a tornado warning at the time as well. Jeff told me the sky could get like that when we have a hurricane/tornado.

Mark I can't see your pics because I would need to sign up :(

Capensis, OMG I saw that yesterday on the news and that guy is an idiot! Now he's in critical condition. WHY would you do such a thing when we have a storm! I'm not trying to be mean, but if you're going to do stupid things like that, then you deserve the consequences. I bet he won't do that again!

Getting lots of rain/wind here since all day yesterday. How's the flooding in your area? <----That question was for anybody in FL.

I don't have any flooding yet, but it is still raining hard. The ground is so soggy though, all of my papaya trees are starting to lean. I think I'm going to stake them today after work so the stay straight.

Will, my backyard had about 4 or more inches of water at some point, and even higher before we even went outside. We took a little tour around and everything is quite flooded. Some people got stuck, while tons of people were having fun outside kayaking :p. Fish actually were able to swim on roads. There's a man-made canal right in front of my house and it's usually half full, but it over flowed, and I have a small strech of land to get to my house, practically a bridge, and it became part of the canal and fish skimmed over it. In all, it was amazing, but some parts were bad. Many parts of my town has untouched forests, and after the flooding, they looked like they were untouched by man, looking like a real swamp, like Florida used to be. But, we still have some more rain coming.

Well I guess we got our tropical storm for our area yesterday and today. My power just came back on and it went out yesterday at 4:20pm, so that sucked, but I guess I'm greatful it wasn't out for days. We got lots of rain and wind. Lost one of our trees. My mother-in-law stayed at her bf's place (which is a trailer) last night. She called this morning to let us know that the trailer burned down over night! Everyone is ok and got out safe, but the home is completely destroyed. The generator blew up. I hope everyone in FL is ok, I know some people got flooded pretty bad. On the news they interviewed a guy who was out delivering the morning paper, when he saw a log floating on the road. He drove closer and it turned out to be a 5 foot alligator! Swimming on the street! Crazy.

when he saw a log floating on the road. He drove closer and it turned out to be a 5 foot alligator!
They had video of the alligator.

Alligator
<object width="425" height="360">

<embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=41283538,t=1,mt=video,searchID=,primarycolor=,secondarycolor=" allowfullscreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="360"></object>

Playing with gators
<object width="425" height="360">

<embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=41285978,t=1,mt=video,searchID=,primarycolor=,secondarycolor=" allowfullscreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="360"></object>

He's crazy. I'd never put a camera (and my head) so close to a alligator.

I've never lost power for more than about 6 hours. It still looks like a regular storm.

I lost power for 13 days after Isabel. That SUCKED. Ice was like gold around here. A friend and I had to drive to Charlottesville to find a few bags of ice and even there it was hard to find. There were so many downed trees over power lines it took the power co. forever to restore all the power. And that was working really hard AND there were volunteers from other states here. It was a mess. I couldn't count how many blocked streets and homes with trees IN them I saw just in a short foray outside after Izzy.

Gaston caused severe flooding here. It took me almost 4 hours to get home from work...normally a 10 min. drive...because of traffic. Cars couldn't go anywhere! I'll never forget the scenes I saw that nite...water shooting up out of manholes like geysers! My basement flooded and I didn't even know it because I never looked. I don't live near water so I never thought about flooding! That was when I learned storm drains back up into your house... I had about 2 feet of water...my neighbor had about 5 feet in her basement. Had to replace my boiler.

Gaston and Isabel were very damaging and costly hurricanes here. And we are inland!

That must've been a bad experience, PAK :(

Getting lots of rain/wind here since all day yesterday. How's the flooding in your area? <----That question was for anybody in FL.

No flooding here in Miami, just raining every day. This storm was really tame, I didn't even bring my plants inside. Then again, we also surf across the lake in category 2s so..

Once you survive something like hurricane Andrew, these little tropical storms are nothing. :grin:

but I guess I'm greatful it wasn't out for days.
Honestly, I kind of like it when the power goes out for around 3 days. Neighbors quickly turn into family and friends when our electronics are taken out of the picture. It really transforms the neighborhood. People share food, hang out and talk, play cards. Just things that never happen when theres TV or computers around.

I think airconditioners are the most antisocial thing ever. Somebody has written about it in a book, but it was obvious here years ago as, one by one, people put an AC in a window and then didn't come outside anymore on summer evenings. People talk about the good old days, but they prefer cool air and personal electronics.

Honestly, I kind of like it when the power goes out for around 3 days. Neighbors quickly turn into family and friends when our electronics are taken out of the picture. It really transforms the neighborhood. People share food, hang out and talk, play cards. Just things that never happen when theres TV or computers around.

Actually that wouldn't happen in my neighborhood. I've had to call animal control on my neighbor twice in a year because I saw their 14 year old beating the crap out of their dog, and 3 months ago, when their dog attacked me and my dog, they tried to punch my husband in the head and then THEY called the cops on US! Try to figure that one out, lol. So sharing fun stuff with my neighbors is not likely to happen.

Hey look! The sun is out :) Gonna go take some pictures of the damage around my area. Nothing bad, just lots of trees down.

Got a few pictures. No major damage and most people are cleaning up today so all the big trees that were damaged were being chopped down.

The bush in my yard

PENTAX1113.jpg

Across the street

PENTAX1115.jpg

A fence that got some damage

PENTAX1119.jpg

The Damage. (This was during whne Fay was still here) Some other plants in the back were bent.

SN852190.jpg

Back