What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Didn't quite make it...

• Thread starter Jaytab
  • Start date
Well i went to the DMV today to do a road test for my driver's licence. Everything started great, traffic was light, I kept below the speed limit, used my signals, didn't kill anybody, you know the normal stuff. The tester took me back to the DMV & told me to find a parking spot. I figured she was going to have me do all the parking tests. Then she says to turn the car off, the test was over. I failed.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VDW0ZnZxjn4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VDW0ZnZxjn4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The reason? While we are driving around she told me to pull over & park like I was going to leave the car overnight. I apparently pulled TOO far off the road & it was an automatic failure. Wait. What? Just yesterday someone was either killed or very seriously injured because they didn't pull far enough off the road when they had a flat tire & she got hit while changing it. Am I the only person that thinks it stupid to get failed over playing it safe? Anyway I take the test again next week & hopefully I will have a different tester.

That sucks man. I failed my part of parallel parking cos I couldn't get my old huge buick in the cones space they had setup. The guy said "that's how far it has to be" well my car was longer than the spot they had cleared, not even a theoretical physicist could have rationalized it into that space. I could have got my Focus in there that I have now 15 years later cos it's 1/2 the size. I still just passed the test but lost all points for the parallel parking and for stopping over the crosswalks and not before them.

When I was going back in after my test another kid had failed and he got out of his car screaming, slamming the door, yelling and pointing at his tester. I figure he probly didn't pass the next time either if it was the same tester...

Hang in there jay !!
better luck next week
several years ago, i ? taught a young friend to drive. sure was a frightening experience for me.
she had to take the driving part 4 times before she passed and then was in an accident 3 weeks ,after she got her license, not sure if it was her teacher's or her fault for the failures.
Maybe a little of both.LOL

Last edited:
they just don't want to give it to you from the first attempt.....or she likes you and want to see you again

Wow, this is weird...
I went to the DMV to get my license today too. (I might need to make a thread tommorow in celebration)
They seem to fail people for the stupidest things, and pulling over too far has to be at the top of the list.
Better luck next time.

DMV employees = Civil Servants

Would you want a bureaucracy like this to run a national health service? I know that I don't...

So you'd rather have private examiners who get a commission for every driver they pass?

"Acme Driving Examiners - we may charge more but everbody passes"

Jaytab - be thankful the examiner didn't say anything earlier. You may have gotten upset and made other "errors". As far as judging whether or not you were too far off the road I suppose you'd have to look up the vehicle and municpal codes.

Actually the way MI has things set up it is done by a private company that you pay to get your driving test done. I know people who failed for driving 10 under on the highway. I personally failed the first time because let my car roll forward past the white line when I was stopped at a red light because the person behind me came flying up on me and actually had their tires squealing to avoid hitting me but I still lost points for crossing the white line. Which caused me to fail and have to retake it so more money in their pockets. So the lesson is follow the law even if it means getting in an accident.

I took the driving test in SC a few months ago. I had to preform the same move. I lost one point because after I parked I didn't know to turn the wheels all the way to the right. I passed though. There was also a trick move. I came up to an intersection that I clearly should stop, but there was no stop sign. I stopped anyway and told the examiner that there should be a stop sign there and I was going to stop anyway. He told me that was the correct move and that I wouldn't believe how many people just drive right through it.

A few years ago I was taking the driving test in SC and when I got in the car I had all the papers that they gave me inside in my hand. Normally i would just put those in the passenger seat but the examiner was there and so I put them over the sun visor. During the test the examiner told me to turn right. When I did I was facing the sun and was practically blinded. I reached up to flip down the sun visor and the papers fell. I quickly caught them and put them somewhere else. I didn't think much of it and we continued the test. When we got back to the DMV she told me that when the papers fell, I touched the yellow line and that was an automatic failure. I still don't think that I did but what can you do? I took off work and drove all the way to SC for this test and now I was going to have to do it all over again.

Would you want a bureaucracy like this to run a national health service? I know that I don't...

It would be better than the money hungry insurance and drug companies. Most nations have a medical benefits for their citizens, and they work just fine. Why can't we do the same in this country?

Why can't we do the same in this country?<!-- / message -->

Cos "we" only think of others when it might benefit "us" somehow. "US" being the companies.

Back