Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hangin with gators

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hangin with gators

The last few weeks I have been spending a lot of time a local lake watching and trying to learn as much as I can about alligators. The more time I spent there the closer I could get to them. The last two times I was there they got so close that I could touch them. A lot of people feed them in this spot and it has caused them to loose their fear of humans. I used the fact that they thought I was going to feed them to get them as close to me as possible. I also have some awesome videos, but I don't have most of them uploaded yet because Myspace won't accept videos edited with quicktime for some reason. If anybody knows a soulution for this please let me know.

8-02-08

I talked to a man that told me that this gator is named Eleweeze. She is around 10 feet long. She is the top gator on this side of the lake. I've seen her chase other gators away that got to close to her. You don't know how big she is until you see her come out of the water and lands on top of another gator. The splash was indescribable. She only has one good eye. I have no idea what happened to her other eye. My guess is a fight with another gator or somebody either poked it or shot it. The day that I took these pics, she was in an area that it wasn't safe to approch her. So I just took these pics.

There is also a lot of birds in this area.

This gator I call Bighead because his head seems to be too big for his body. He's only about five feet long. He seemed very non aggressive, but that's typical for a gator his size. I have a great video of him but I can't upload it to myspace.

This next pic shows why I call him Bighead.

To Be Continued....

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another pic that why I named him Bighead

Bighead was a lot of fun, but the next time I went, I got a lot closer to a gator that was much bigger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great - I've always liked these huge reptiles but the most we've got here are Tiger Salamanders in the window wells.

My mom was invited on vacation with my uncles family to FL where they stayed in their RV in some park. My mom got turned around on her way back from the park bathroom in the middle of the night and spent the rest of the night night sitting on top of a picnic table lost and listening to the gators growl. So now she hates gators!
    I told her the gators probably couldn't have gotten to her up on the picnic table but the mountain lions probly could have.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fun stuff. His head does seem awkwardly large compared to body size. Gators really are fascinating creatures. Looking forward to seeing the videos. Hope you get it figured out.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ozzy- use windows media encoder and transcode that sucker to .wmv and youtube should take it no problems, might take a while tho
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

08-09-08

08-09-08

When I first got there, I saw a gator that I think is Bighead but I didn't get close enough to see.

A few pics of the lake.

You never see two gators very close to each other. If one get's near another, the biggest one will attack and chase the smaller one away. This is about as close as they get.

I have some amazing pics of a gator that I didn't name. I amazed by this gator. He was about 8 feet long.

I know a lot of these pics are not centered of in perfect focus, but it's really hard to get the picture just right and watch the gator to make sure he doesn't get too close. I need a cameraman, any volunteers?

Here's a video of this gator

Alligator

This was an amazing experience. On the way home I called a friend that have been wanting to go with me to this lake. I told him about how I got the gator to come right up to me. I could tell he didn't believe me. We made plans to meet here the next weekend, and Eleweeze meet us and she wasn't very happy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that one in the video got really close.
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.
    My growing growlist of growing things

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I can say is that is an acciendent waiting to happen. What if a little kid saw you do that?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast