0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool! does it make much noise?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't it more majestic than a bald eagle, I wonder why Franklin didn't get his way when he suggest the wild turkey be our national bird.

Wild turkey populations are really exploding in a lot of areas. In Michigan they are getting out of hand, on my parents 5 acres we have two flocks of about 25 turkeys each that both roost on our land and then another flock of what appears to be about 15-20 that often pass through our land looking for food.

Oh and someone said to feed them, unless you like copious amounts of turkey scat I wouldn't recommend it, these guys can make a real mess.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, we have some turkeys that come to the field behind our house. And whenever we go on a car ride for more than 30 minutes, we see at least one turkey with a bunch of babies following it.
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.
    My growing growlist of growing things

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol ! Nice one B!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't it more majestic than a bald eagle, I wonder why Franklin didn't get his way when he suggest the wild turkey be our national bird.
    uhhhhhh................no..........been around wild turkeys, been fortunate enough to get close to wild bald eagles.......turkeys are dumber than a box of rocks.......been 5 feet away from 2 adult and 3 immature bald eagles as they took off......there is no comparison.....ill take the eagles as our national symbol over a turkey.........
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler_mt View Post
    uhhhhhh................no..........been around wild turkeys, been fortunate enough to get close to wild bald eagles.......turkeys are dumber than a box of rocks.......been 5 feet away from 2 adult and 3 immature bald eagles as they took off......there is no comparison.....ill take the eagles as our national symbol over a turkey.........
    Yeah I actually aggree with you, I guess the sarcasm isn't as obvious over the internet.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the bald eagle is a more appropriate national symbol. It's the most impressive thing around and quite capable of feeding itself, but likes to bully smaller birds and take their food.

As for turkeys, they've really boomed here too and they're much less wary than how I remember turkeys being in Mississippi years ago. I don't know if wildlife departments have found an especially bold & careless strain of them to stock, like is done with trout, but these only look like turkeys, they don't act like them. They seem to be everywhere and I even saw one roosting on a window ledge in downtown Hartford a couple years ago.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool!

I live in an apartment complex, the only area of grassland nearby is the man-made creek and then a park...but much to my amazement about two years ago I was looking out my balcony door and saw a turkey in the yard! Just wandering around, eating, and looking perfectly content. Where he came from is beyond me, Ive never seen turkeys around here ever, muchless in the middle of an apartment complex!

They are definitely large birds!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast