What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Importing plants as luggage

flytraplady5

Hort. School dropout X 2
Hey all or at least those of you who have a valid import permit for carnivorosu plants .
As most of you know I am planning on attending the ICPS conference in Australia in Sept. My plan is to take 2 suitcases one of which will be empty on the way over and full of sarracenia etc from triffd park on the way back, has anyone had any experiene in accompanying a shipment of plants through customs ? or if you know someone who has done this. I believe I have all the paperwork necessary to get this plants stateside.
any and all info would be appreciated.
You may email me privately at Grannelo@aol.com
Thanx
LMO

A little tip - If you're bringing back seeds as luggage, make sure to put them in your pockets when you get checked through. You can put them back in your carry-on when you get on the plane.

I've lost too many seeds that go through the detector and get radiation. It kills them completely.

Good luck, and please pick up utric species not available in the U.S. yet. :)

Customs is simply paying any duty on them, based on value. If there is any..

USDA will need to inspect them though and that will not happen quickly or at the airport terminal.

You will need a Phytosanitary Certificate, an Invoice for customs, and a CITES from the supplier

Thanx guys.
I think I already have these forms on file with USDA. so I guess that I need a copy in my possession or need to tell USDA that I am bringing plants back with me.
Thanx again
LMO

Flytraplady,

Im afraid it is next to impossible to bring in live plants to the US for the average person who just wants a plant in the country.

I love grapes, and my dream has always been to own and Italian grape, and got a gorgeous little Merlot on my recent trip to Italia. I got it through every single thing EXCEPT the USDA, who said there is no exception to bringing in live plants. Now, i had all the permits and stuff DM mentioned, but it was to no avail. They confiscated it. :cry:

Your best bet is seeds, which you can slip---i mean forget about checking as luggage in your pockets.

Good luck!

The Australian company must obtain from Australian authorities the Phytosanitary certificate and CITES export permit as well as supply an invoice with the total value. In order for them to get the documents from the Australian authorities they will need to know what plants and how many of each you are purchasing as well as have copies of your Import permits from USDA. It is best to contact the Australian supplier well in advance as it can take multiple days for them to get the paperwork together there. You must have the Phyto, CITES Export permit and Invoice with your plants when you arrive back in the US. You will also need to deliver the plants with the paperwork to USDA for inspection once they clear customs. After they clear Ag Inspection with USDA they are all yours ;>

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/permits/faq/plants4planting_faqs.shtml
Q. Does my plant shipment have to come through one of the ports listed on my permit?
A. Yes. Restricted plant articles that require permits must be imported through specific ports of entry with USDA plant inspection stations. If you want to import through a specific port that is not listed on your permit, then you must send a written request to the Permit Unit.
Q. Can I hand-carry my plant material into the US?
A. If you are bringing back 12 or fewer articles of admissible plants, and the articles have no special restrictions, then yes, as long as you have a phytosanitary certificate from the country of origin. If you are bringing back plant material that requires a permit, then you should arrive through a port of entry that has a Plant Inspection Station (PIS). The importer must surrender the material to be forwarded to the PIS.

Thanks for the reference NaN but I do not have experience with hand carrying material in :)

But Tony pretty much covered it from what I know. You need to have all the paperwork for both sides, USDA permits and all that plus the CITES and Phyto from the Aussies. And the plants will need to be taken direct to USDA after customs clears them so it would probably be a good idea to talk to USDA so they know to expect you and will have an inspector ready for you, preferable meeting you at customs. The inspection itself should not be too long, I would figure an hour for every 50 plants or so...

Back