What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Get Ready For The Sixth Annual Necps Show!!

Here's some seed grown stuff in 3 inch tall pots I'm bringing for the NECPS table:

XTF_27.jpg

XTF_28.jpg

I think I have like around 150 of these hungry little flytraps all grown from seed collected last August. They are from 1) a Bigmouth open pollinated, and a 2) "Red Rosette Giant x Burgundy Trap Giant Upright" also open pollinated. I'm keeping a few (not shown) that wound up with an all red coloration - they resemble a Red Dragon.

The soil is around 2/3 peatmoss and 1/3 coarse sand (for swimming pool filters).

Quote:
wow guys I'm super jealous! I'd love to go and since I can't due to college and that whole thing ( who needs it !? haha ). So I'm putting it on all the TF members who ARE going to be there to snap so many photo's that I can sit here and pretend I'm really there!

its YOUR responsibility! or at least I'd love it if you could

can I vote for the meeting to be in KS next year? okay probably... well worth a shot guess I'll have to meet some people in new england so I can go next year!
I'm on it!

Ditto.

I'm bringing some rooted raf cuttings for the sale table, and maybe a Miranda or two. I also have several seedling nepenthes (seeds I won in the NASC auction), and I can't grow as many as sprouted, so several will be looking for adoption....

Alright! Another week and I'll be on my way up to RI!
Hopefully this year my car won't break down on the way(***knocks on wood)
That last one ended up being sold for scrap:-(

Anyways, I should have a few goodies for the NECPS sales table & auction and some great stuff to display.
If this was any more fun, it'd be illegal!

Does anyone know what was in the second picture on the first page? The one with the black hook like things? Nepenthes hamat maybe? It's starting to scare me...

um, is there going to be a meeting spot? We only have a week before the show to make one.

I love Roger Williams Park, grew up in Attleboro... Wish I could get up there for the show...

wow, I live pretty close to Attleboro

Hey Ant -

What do you mean by a meeting spot? I'm sure you'll meet everybody! I'm the guy in the upper left of that TF members picture. Come find me and I'll introduce you to anyone you want to meet. If you don't see me, I will most likely be in the classroom. I'm slated to give two lectures each day.

If you have a camera by all means bring it.

Man, I wish I'd thought of this sooner - too bad we all can't wear Terraforums T-Shirts or something.

Ant - if you have any plants you want to display, bring them. We will be having a member's favorites table too. If you have a favorite, write a paragraph or two about why and print it to place next to the plant. Another display will be "The Ugly Pot Contest." If you can find some tacky, hideous thing at a Tag sale or Thrift store you can set your potted CP in it for that display. Also, there will be a non-CP table display for things like orchids or other non carnivores that look really good.

I don't think any of us sleep the night before from the excitement!

Keep your eye out for these on the way to the show.....

We made about 10 magnetic bumper stickers, and spread them around the New England area geographically:
TF_Bumper.jpg

In case some of you are wondering which day/time to come out, here is the Presentation schedule:

Topic/Title
Saturday
Presenter

Selling Plants on Ebay
11:00 - 11:30
WildBill

Carnivorous Plants of South Africa
11:30 - 12:30
Matt O.

12:30 - 1:30
N/A

Carnivorous Plants for Beginners
2:00- 3:00
Ken S.

Growing the Aquatic Venus Flytrap... Aldrovanda vesiculosa
3:00 - 4:00
Mike S.

Topic/Title
Sunday
Presenter

Growing Plants Under Lights
11:00 - 12:00
Priscilla P.

Selling Plants on Ebay
12:00 - 1:00
WildBill

Growing Heliamphora…Sun Pitcher Plants of South America
1:00 - 2:00
Dave S.

Macabre Monstrosities of Mother Nature
2:00 - 3:00
WildBill

Make sure to stop by the North American Sarracenia Conservancy booth. The NASC Seed Bank will there to take orders for NASC members for immediate mailing upon my arrival home! In addition, there will be select populations available for members to pick from and take home with them. These populations will include:
  • ALA-TX001 - S. alata from Tyler County, Texas;
  • ALA-MS006 - S. alata from Stone County, Mississippi;
  • CAT-FL010 - S. Catesbaei from Liberty County, Florida;
  • NO CODE - S. alata Black/Red F2 from Harrison County, Mississippi; and,
  • MOO-FL024 - S. Moorei from Walton County, Florida.

There will also be membership forms available for people who want to join NASC.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone who will be in attendance and safe travels to all!

xvart.

Woo hoo!

3 hours (give or take) until I start packing the car and counting!

I should hit the road around 7, at least I hope to.

Gonna check in, then go pick up Xvart at the airport....

Maybe X and I can drink the hotel bar dry like Oz and I did last year.....:drunk:

Gonna check in, then go pick up Xvart at the airport....

I'm currently in the Chicago O'Hare airport for the next five hours... Dang layovers! They haven't even posted my departure flight on the boards, so I have no idea where to camp out, yet.

Maybe X and I can drink the hotel bar dry like Oz and I did last year.....:drunk:

Done! I may have a headstart since I might drink O'Hare out of business since I have too much time to kill, lol.

xvart.

I dropped off some things yesterday, including a couple of fluorescent lights and loads of plants for the NECPS table.

Now I'm packing up my display plants. Tonight I'll finish up my slides for my talks. I plan to get there around 7:30 am tomorrow.

IT'S GONNA BE GREAT!!!!

um, my parents are being a pain, is there a schedule anywhere? Mt parents want to print it out so we know when to leave. also is there anyway to sell a pot of dews there? I need more money to buy plants!

I'm bringing my rokko x spectabilis, a big pot of D. capensis, and maybe a N. xwrigleyana. Do I have to register them or anything? Also, I'm bringing a TON of packeted capensis seeds (As much as I can get from like 10 flower stalks) to give out to anyone who wants them! WOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Sorry, had to get that out.

All I have to say is wow. The truncata in the entrance was awesome, not to mention the many nepenthes found all around the greenhouse. I ran into you WildBill, and I'm thinking of joining the society.

I managed to get the N. truncata "Pasian Highland" that I wanted, along with a N. sanguinea.
100_0596.jpg
The N. truncata
100_0597.jpg
One of the two pitchers on it.
100_0595.jpg
The N. sanguinea
100_0594.jpg
The nice looking pitcher it had.

Unfortunately, I'm not one to take pictures when I'm sight-seeing, so no pics of the show here.

Last edited:
I agree, the truncata were awesome, I just was bugged that every time I stood up straight I hit my head on nep pitchers. I also didn't take pics, I wish I did because my dad started asking me about all the plants. I got an ampullaria and some purp seed from Brownfield Maine. Jeff's ceph tank was awesome in person too. And just before I left I joined NASC.

Back