User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: It's going to be Historic either way!!

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It never surprises me how egotistical man is, they think they know everything about everything. Wrong.
    HOLY HANNAH that was a logical catastrophe right there, thanks for the laffs- pot, meet kettle
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obama sits and praises the lil guy while talking to his face than when he is infront of big city elites he refers to us as "clinging to our guns and religion
    I have always lived in a small town and I don't see anything wrong with that characterization, it's quite spot on in the area I'm from. Perhaps people don't want to think that that's how they appear to an objective or outside observer but it is.

As far as Gore, I hate that guy because of his wife and her Washington Wives commitee to try and censor rock music with the PMRC. Ya'll will be shocked to know during that election I thought Bush might not be the worst of the two choices. I soon regretted that thought after all the problems and I considered the extent of the underground music scene, the religious right can't really touch us anymore. But it goes to show the fundamentalist christians aren't just a republican problem, Tipper and Al were democrats.

Tipper Gore's Book: Raising PG Kids in An X Rated Society
    http://www.amazon.com/Raising-PG-Kid...0634877&sr=1-1

Grow Pitcher Plants! DroseraBug's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again I just have a hard time with both parties. I don't want to vote for another Bush and Obama is sketchy. Go figure Maybe I should just vote for Palin. She seems to have more brains than both despite wanting to drill ANWR.
    "And this is what happened, and this is why the caribou and the wolf are one; for the caribou feeds the wolf, but it is the wolf that keeps the caribou strong."
    Farley Mowat

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can write in a candidate, Mickey Mouse can always use your vote!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sticking with the Bristol Palin pregnancy thing...

I was listening to talk radio while driving back home yesterday. The guys on the radio played a clip from a current The Daily Show with Jon Stewart episode (I think it aired on 9/3/08)where Bill O'Reilly uses the good ole' fallacious double standard on The O'Reilly Factor. Stewart plays a clip of O'Reilly stating that the Palin pregnancy issue is personal and as long as tax payers don't have to support the mom or baby, the issue should remain personal and out of the spotlight. Then, a clip of O'Reilly making comments on how Jamie Lynn Spears' parents are to blame and calling them pinheads is played.

It was such a perfect example... I always watch The O'Reilly Factor, and I remember watching the two segments mentioned above, but never made the connection myself. I can't seem to find the clip online. YouTube seems to have taken it down... This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Viacom International Inc. If anyone finds it, let me now. I'd like to hear it again.
    -Joel from Southern California

Grow Pitcher Plants! DroseraBug's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    off topic. Love your avatar. Can't wait for the new Office episodes!!!
    "And this is what happened, and this is why the caribou and the wolf are one; for the caribou feeds the wolf, but it is the wolf that keeps the caribou strong."
    Farley Mowat

My Growlist

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting read. So as not to be redundant, I'll just say that Capslock speaks for me beautifully. Totally agree with his viewpoint.

Palin was an abysmal choice. While I applaud her accomplishments, I can NOT imagine having her running this country. The facts of John McCain's age and health history make him a much higher risk for not finishing a term...and that would put her at the helm of this country. So she squelched "the Bridge to nowhere." Big deal. Any idiot knew that was stupid. That's not enough to qualify for VP in my opinion.

The choice for Palin was purely to get female and conservative votes. An obvious ploy. It wasn't based on who would be best to replace McCain if it comes down to that.

Although I don't personally care for Sen. Clinton, comparing the two, in terms of "women in government", is laughable. If I had to choose between the two as to who could skin a caribou, I'd go with Palin.

She wants to talk about breaking glass ceilings and yet she is against Roe v. Wade. How is THAT being senstive to women's issues? One aspect of empowerment for women is getting the GOVERNMENT out of what is a moral and very personal reproductive decision.

At the risk of sparking debate, I don't necessarily see allowing a mass of cells to develop into a human being afflicted with down syndrome as a positive.

Down's syndrome children have a lot to offer! They are not just "damaged cells." While some aspects of raising a DS child can be burdomsome and difficult, you probably won't find too many families who would say they wish they hadn't had their DS child.

The most salient point of that is...that Gov. Palin had a CHOICE as whether she carried to term or not. She made her choice based on her beliefs, her family, her doctors and perhaps clergy. She made a choice that was right for her. It wasn't the government making the decision FOR her. Same with Andrew. He and his wife, along with doctors and any other advisors, were able to make the decision on carrying to term or not. That is a deeply personal decision and, either way, it's not for a (*coug*predominately male*cough*) government to decide.

Teaching creationism in school?? 1) There is a law separating Church and State which is a very very WISE law; 2) Creationism is a religous view and most often taught as a Christian view ignoring other religions 3) Schools educate in math, science, English, history and biology 4) Schools couldn't possibly cover teaching about ALL religions 4) Churches ARE schools for teaching a wide variety of religious views and values. You want creationism...go to a church school.

I have never understood why people want religion taught in schools when you have CHURCHES. Schools...basic education. Churches...religious education. What is hard about that? There is no way you can mix religion into government and not have disaster.

And teaching abstinence? Her own daughter a poster child for how that doesn't work in preventing teen pregnancies. Teach abstinence...but be realistic and offer birth control if a teen makes the choice to have sex. In the case of Palin's daughter...the obvious "fix" to make it all ok...a shotgun in the back of another teen. Teen marriage...wipes the slate clean doesn't it?

It will be interesting to see how the investigation of Palin goes. I think somebody goofed in her vetting. Obviously they were focusing on two issues...female and conservative vote...and not her personal history.

I'll still go for the guy who opted to work for disadvantaged people instead of choosing a fancy law firm. There is no perfect candidate...but Obama offers far more hope that this country can recover its economy and its reputation which has been ruined by Bush.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    t the risk of sparking debate, I don't necessarily see allowing a mass of cells to develop into a human being afflicted with down syndrome as a positive
    I find that most human beings, more-or-less, could be considered a 'positive'. Just because a person has a disaibity, that doesnt make their life worthless or forfeit.

As for sex ed, I had my first 'sex ed' in elementary school also. I remember it too... they taught the boys and girls basic gender anatomy separately but most were sharp enough to put 2 and 2 together anyways, and that where I found out what it really was. In retrospect, elementary school is too early. But highschool is too late.

As I see it, sex ed is VERY important because the urge to reproduce is a basic human instinct. Like it or not people are GOING to do it, some earlier than others. If they DO do it, they should know there are ways to be fairly certain that a pregnancy does not result. Parents may not teach it, mine did not. Pregnancy and birth in higschool can be very hard
    on young women. No matter what a parents job should be too often they dont flikin do their job.
    that makes no logic