User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 33 to 40 of 191

Thread: It's going to be Historic either way!!

  1. #33
    JRFxtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    536
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baylorguy View Post
    It's not about teaching a religion; it's about teaching an alternative view other than the one currently taught...
    The problem with that is creationism has zero evidence for it and all current hard evidence disproves it. If it was anything close to a scientific theory, it would have been dropped the moment the hypothesis didn't add up to evidence.

    Quote Originally Posted by Baylorguy View Post
    which implies we all evolved by pure chance from primordial soup.
    Thats incorrect.

  2. #34
    Cardiac Nurse JB_OrchidGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    3,818
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got this in an email and found it disturbing.
    From Dreams of My Father: 'I ceased to advertise my mother's race at the age of 12 or 13, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites.'

    From Dreams of My Father : 'I found a solace in nursing a pervasive sense of grievance and animosity against my mother's race.'

    From Dreams of My Father: 'There was something about him that made me wary, a little too sure of himself, maybe. And white.'

    From Dreams of My Father: 'It remained necessary to prove which side you were on, to show your loyalty to the black masses, to strike out and name names.'

    From Dreams of My Father: 'I never emulate white men and brown men whose fates didn't speak to my own. It was into my father's image, the black man, son of Africa , that I'd packed all the attributes I sought in myself , the attributes of Martin and Malcolm, DuBois and Mandela.'

    And FINALLY the Most Damming one of ALL of them!!!

    From Audacity of Hope: 'I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.'
    Also you cannot go taxing the hell out of business. Because just like now companies never pay taxes anyway. They pass the cost down to the consumer anyway. The people are always paying the corporate taxes.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

  3. #35
    Capslock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,088
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't find any of those quotes in the least bit troubling. The first ones are all just relating his thoughts and journey as a young person, both things he regrets and things he's proud of. It seems a bit disingenuous to pluck them out without context like that.

    The last one isn't the least bit damning. I'm with him on it 100%. The American ideal is: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: That all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." Among these rights is freedom of religion. Should the political winds shift in an ugly direction, and Muslims become deprived of this right, on that day I also will stand with the Muslims. I'd hope you would too, as it's the American thing to do.

    Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

    My photos are copyright-free and public domain

  4. #36
    scottychaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Western New York, USA
    Posts
    2,970
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! I just heard this news about McCain's VP choice..(was a busy day at work today!)

    so..now BOTH partys are running:

    One "old white guy" with years of washington experience, your classic American president type of the last 230 years, who is actually qualified to do the job.

    And one "im NOT an old white guy/ im a washington outsider" with virtually no experience..

    basically identical tickets now..both side's VP choices were obviously very carefully planned.
    (which is the norm of course..most campaigns are very smart about this..)

    The next few months are going to be very interesting!

    Scot

  5. #37
    Capslock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,088
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scot, for once we agree 100%!

    Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

    My photos are copyright-free and public domain

  6. #38
    "Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Helotes, Texas
    Posts
    933
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefaced my statement by saying I am not advocating Creationism to be taught in schools... and figured that would help me avoid a debate, but apparently some of you smell blood.

    Again, I am not trying to prove Creationsim, but be careful what you say. Though one can't prove Creationism is true in the current situation, you cannot make an absolute assertion that it is false.

    And let's face it... the theory of evolution is not without its laughable mistakes... Millers original experiment, still taught in classrooms to this day... is a joke. Again, just to concede, I am not saying evolution is not true. Please read and comprehend this.

    If you want to educate me on the basics of evolution and tell me what is lacking in my statement, let's take this to PMs... I would be intrigued hearing how full fledged micro evolution does not involve pure chance.

    A bit side tracked, are we not? How about getting back on topic.


    Quote Originally Posted by JRFxtreme View Post
    The problem with that is creationism has zero evidence for it and all current hard evidence disproves it. If it was anything close to a scientific theory, it would have been dropped the moment the hypothesis didn't add up to evidence.



    Thats incorrect.

  7. #39
    "Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Helotes, Texas
    Posts
    933
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said! I entirely agree, it'll be an uphill battle from here.

    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    Wow! I just heard this news about McCain's VP choice..(was a busy day at work today!)

    so..now BOTH partys are running:

    One "old white guy" with years of washington experience, your classic American president type of the last 230 years, who is actually qualified to do the job.

    And one "im NOT an old white guy/ im a washington outsider" with virtually no experience..

    basically identical tickets now..both side's VP choices were obviously very carefully planned.
    (which is the norm of course..most campaigns are very smart about this..)

    The next few months are going to be very interesting!

    Scot

  8. #40
    Nepenthusiast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    264
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baylorguy View Post
    Although I don't necessarily agree with teaching Creationism in the classroom, you made a very common blunder... and that is to tie it to Christianity. Creationism is an overall concept held by all different faiths... there are respected scientists from Judaism, Christianity, Islam, etc. that ascribe to this concept.

    It's not about teaching a religion; it's about teaching an alternative view other than the one currently taught... which implies we all evolved by pure chance from primordial soup.
    Your right about the creationism blunder of course, but I don't actually think its a big deal since the creation story that would be taught would in our country would almost definetly be from a Christion perspective.
    I say leave Social Studies to discuss creationism. Science class should be about science.
    Anyway back on topic...yep uphil battle. For sure.

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •