What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannibalistic plant

does it go after carnivorous plants? that would be interesting

I'd never heard of this parasitic plant until Barry mentioned it in one of his posts 1-2 years ago. Not long after that I went to John Hummer's for one of his open house days and saw a nasty infestation. Most invasive plants didn't bother John but this stuff really pissed him off .... :0o:

i want to grow it now......any one know where i could get some to grow here in california.....???????

Um, since it is invasive their may be laws involving it being shipped like queen ants.

ugh this stuff is all over CA. I've seen it in Yosemite. A couple other places that i've stopped. For those of you who are in So Cal/familiar with it, the Bolsa Chica area and Long Beach wetland areas have a ton of it...so yeah jesse go to some vulnerable ecosystem out here and you'll find this thing haha.

ugh this stuff is all over CA. I've seen it in Yosemite. A couple other places that i've stopped. For those of you who are in So Cal/familiar with it, the Bolsa Chica area and Long Beach wetland areas have a ton of it...so yeah jesse go to some vulnerable ecosystem out here and you'll find this thing haha.
its in long beach! woot....i may go over there within a few weeks and get me some lolz

thanks frankie

Really frankie? It's in Long Beach? I'll have to keep my eyes open then.

yep. in the wetlands on Seal Beach side.

will a cutting of the plant survive?

I don't think cutting work but go ahead an try, I'm sure no one will care if you help remove some of this invasive plant.

P.S. I hope you caught on to the fact that this is a parasite and will need a host plant to provide it with nutrients.

Mistletoe

The way that is attracted to plants is neat, but the idea of a plant parasitisizing another plant isn't that novel. And a lot of mushrooms do the same (though, as we all know, mushrooms are not plants. :) )

I don't think cutting work but go ahead an try, I'm sure no one will care if you help remove some of this invasive plant.

P.S. I hope you caught on to the fact that this is a parasite and will need a host plant to provide it with nutrients.

lolz yes I understand the concept of parasitism .....i have 4 parasites in my wallet......

i wanna see what would happen if you pot two of these bad-boyz up next to each other. Death for both? ever long battle for dominance? one wins?

Oh, and if any one does get/has one, please, PLEASE dont let it seed or give one to anyone else.

Dodder is a very very bad plant to have on your property. It'll strangle the life out of anything.

Star-of-Bethlehem sucks too, although it doesn't strangle plants. But woe to the person who has it in their yard (like I do). I asked a garden-center guy once how I could get rid of it and his reply was "Move." :-(

It is native, though, so its not an invasive species but it is invasive in regards to growing and sucking the life out of everything. The ones around here are a cool neon orange color, though.

Here in Oregon black berries are EVIL!!!
I have gone through atleast a hundred gallons of black berry killer for spot spraying..
Hours of mowing and destruction of 6 foot tall hedges but atleast it's berries taste good :)

poor bushes....they just wanna grow to take over the world

.....whats wrong with the blood lust and desire for WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

.....were just misunderstood in our mission for world domination...

....nothing wrong with a little deadly competition

Back