What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My turn now

Crissytal

What is and what should never be
Tropical Storm Hanna is heading my way. I spent most of today getting my cactus and succulents off the wobbly rack they were on and underneath the shelter to hopefully keep most of the wind and water off of them. I also moved my Sarrs and VFTs off the picnic table and onto the ground. This took an incredibly long time. I need to revise my set up to make everything easier to move. I helped my parents get the boat in the garage (lots of rearranging involved with that) as well as some other things. There's a few more things that will need to be done tomorrow, but most everything is secured. I get to go grocery shopping bright and early tomorrow to get some necessities, the "just in case" items. Anyway I hope all will be well. The Onslow country schools are already closed for tomorrow. We are expected to get at least 10" of rain. It appears that Ike will be close behind. I hope Ike decides to stay in the ocean as it was a Category 5 last time I checked.

I hope everyone that is on the east coast will be safe and get through Hanna with little to no damage.

Crystal

I hope everything turns out well for you. Be safe!

Good luck. You should move to Ohio. It's much more boring here.

I'm close to where they expect the eye to move onshore. I hope we get the eye it will be so cool. I don't think Hanna is much to worry about, Ike is a different story though.. It has weakened to a cat. 3 now and is expected to continue weaken. I hope that's the case.
Don't worry I'll get some good pics.

Good luck. You should move to Ohio. It's much more boring here.

I'd much rather deal with a cat five storm than Ohios crooked cops and judges.

Good luck! I'm praying Ike will settle down, he looks mean! Not sure where it's going yet.

Hang in there Crystal.

I'm in the direct path of the storm, less than a mile from the ocean. It's suppose to make landfall right where I live.

I guess you don't care if I hang in there.:poke:

Lol Ozzy, of course we care...I think ;).

I'm not too far away from you, something like an hour isn't it?

I guess now it's just a wait and see type thing. Many places around here are closed, and there's a curfew set for 7:30 this evening.

Good luck Ozzy!

Crystal

I think it's more like two hours. It's raining here already. I'm about to go to the beach to get some pics.

You hang in there too. Good luck..

I heard there is a Tornado just above you Crystal, be careful.

I went to the beach and took a few pics.

l_82349dd21af20aeb4793d23a83a5450d.jpg

l_1d1bb8733d19649cb6e4dca61bd25f19.jpg

l_327b43656d8e23689a8fa55fa0a46e20.jpg

l_2bcb52c451faaca67405de937f846118.jpg

l_c1d7a9c62c50f502d4e5ad4dad1311cb.jpg

The waves are 6 to 8ft high.

Looks rough out there. I'm surprised there's not any surfers out there. I bet there's some down here at Topsail Island. Resist the urge to go swimmin' Ozzy.

Yeah, that tornado was right near me. Didn't seem to come my way though. Safe for now.

I'll get some pictures taken if anything exciting happens. It's just raining right now.

There were surfers. Most of them were leaving as we I got there. If you look in the pic just before to pic with the house, you can see a black speck just past a whitecap. That black spec is a surfer.

Ha! I missed the little speck.

The curfew just changed. It's been pushed back from 7:30pm until 11pm and they want everyone to stay off the roads until noon tomorrow.

Any winds yet Oz? Nothing here yet, just some random showers.

Batten down the hatches! Hanna is coming! :D

I hope all of y'all are ok. Everyone is preparing up here but of course its not likely to be much but a lot of rain and maybe some wind. Question is...how much rain and how bad will the flooding be.

Y'all take care down there.

We had the first squall just pasted through. Winds were maybe 15 to 20 mph. It had moderate rainfall. It lasted maybe 15 minutes. As soon as it was over the sky was a weird gray color. I didn't get a pic of it because it went back to normal before I got my camera.

We don't have a curfew. If we did I wouldn't obey it anyway.

We need to keep the most important thing in mind as we are going through this storm, we all need to pray that this storm moves out of Richmond before the nascar race tomorrow night. Maybe if we all say a little prayer that will happen.

Goodluck I hope both Crissytal, OZZY, and anyone else getting hit do well and no damage to your houses or plants.

New report was just issued. Winds have increased to 70 mph. That's just 4mph below a hurricane. With the distance it still has to travel before landfall it is likely to become a hurricane.

Whether it's a strong tropical storm or a minimum hurricane really makes no difference. Either way the storm will hit with winds between 65 to 75 mph.

we all need to pray that this storm moves out of Richmond before the nascar race tomorrow night.

lol No kiddin'. Really bad timing for this storm. My boy Burton and Denny Hamlin on their home track...Joey Lagano debuting in a Cup race...last race before the chase... The clouds just gotta part and let the race roll! lol

hehe Race talk...coming from me....hard to believe.

Clouds are rolling in here now...you can see them moving fairly fast.

We need more pics!

You'll get more pics when something happens.

yeah you two better be safe while going thru this ordeal,
my family is from new orleans and my older sister lives there still, and we just went thru dealing with gustav,

its easy to underestimate things. so you guys better be careful.

yeah I'm hoping ike will calm down as well...
so you guys are near natural vft habitat right? hope this intense flooding doesn't hurt anything :(

you guys are important too though... :)

keep us posted.

Chris

Back