Thread: Sandhills Gamelands in NC

Grow Pitcher Plants! DroseraBug's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sandhills Gamelands in NC

Hi all,

I took some extra time during my week to get some photos of a special place. Thought I would share. The following are photos from the Sandhills Gamelands in Scotland County, NC.

These plants should be protected in the forseable future. The general habitat consist of burned/managed pine stands with associated riparian wetlands/picosin habitat. Most of this land is managed for the endangered plant and woodpecker species found in this county.

Sarracenia rubra ssp. rubra was found growing along the wetland margins.

Something noncarnivorous but still special. This is the federally endangered rough-leaved loosestrife (Lysamachia asperulifolia). To bad its past flowering season. These are growing right along side the Sarras.

This site caught my attention when I came across beautiful Drosera intermedia growing almost upside down on a log.

Growing and flowering

General habitat view
    "And this is what happened, and this is why the caribou and the wolf are one; for the caribou feeds the wolf, but it is the wolf that keeps the caribou strong."
    Farley Mowat

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like you had a nice time. Thanks for sharing
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that's a wothwhile trip!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice. Do you know much about how it's managed? The area shown in your last photo looks like it hasn't had a fire in quite a while.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow I hope to see such sights someday in situ....

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, I didn't know there were rubras in the sandhills.

Nice pics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herenorthere View Post
    Very nice. Do you know much about how it's managed? The area shown in your last photo looks like it hasn't had a fire in quite a while.
    I do not know the prescribed burn schedule for this area but due to the blackened longleaf/loblolly pine stumps and tree bases in the vicinity I'm sure its burned on some type of schedule. Loosetrife wouldn't be growing there without this management as it would be shaded or competed out if not for some type of regular burns. Actually, I've seen healthier looking Sarras too. The place could probably use a burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    Cool, I didn't know there were rubras in the sandhills.

Nice pics.
    Using Schnell's distribution maps I think its about as far west in NC as they can get. Its my first time seeing them in the wild. I won't forget how to get there as I will continue to return to check on there status. I've seen plenty of S. purps, and flava scattered around in the area but I was exited to see the rubras.
    "And this is what happened, and this is why the caribou and the wolf are one; for the caribou feeds the wolf, but it is the wolf that keeps the caribou strong."
    Farley Mowat

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some more S. rubra ssp. rubra from this week. Anyone know what insect makes that nest on the left pitcher? My guess would be some type of paper wasp. Wonder if there specific to pitcher plants? Is it the grass-cutting wasp Isodontia sp. mentioned in Schnell's CP book?

Farley Mowat

My Growlist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast