Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Freezing bugs for winter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to do that for my Neps all year long, get them at petco and freeze them til needed. Just make sure you tell people at your house that you've put a bag of crickets in the freezer!

$6 for 50 crickets is kinda high. If you check a reptile shop they're often a lot cheaper, if you order in bulk by mail you'll get em even cheaper. I think I paid $17 for 500 (this included the $9 shipping fee) when I used to order them by mail cos no stores had the size I needed for my baby lizard. It's the same price for any size crickets by mail - I've just gotten lazy and buy them when I buy catfood now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so i guess im the odd man out..........hmmmm..........i just dump some organic ferts in a pitcher when im fertilizing my orchids....seems less fuss than freezing bugs......though im not apposed to odd things in the freezer....hell the wife put up with mice and rats in ours when i had snakes....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can find a local pet store that breeds their own crickets you can get them really cheap, I pay .07 a piece for large crickets as long as I bring my own container. Also you can buy cans of crickets, mealworms, etc.. that are cooked in there and are supposed to be as good as live food. I have never used them cause my gecko wont eat prey that doesnt move but I bet the would work for neps.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scot - why wait to have them thaw? Just so they start moving, regaining life, and triggering the pitcher?

Quote Originally Posted by MrFlyTrap2 View Post
    I'm more in the business of killing bugs, rather than farming them.
    lol. Well said.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if they are in the freezer they will die after so long. Fridge maybe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I defrosted mine I put them in a cup of warm water, my thinking was that putting ice cold crix into the pitcher might not be a good idea. It might be fine - I just never did it cos I was so anal about my plants never having to be stressed - except when I got out the cutting knife every New Years Day...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12