What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found some old watches

• Thread starter Est
  • Start date

Est

War. War never changes.
Staff member
While cleaning out an old closet, found a box with a bunch of old Soviet watches. Full resolution pictures as well as some additional zoom levels can be found here. There's a few more that I haven't taken pictures of yet.

Don't you love it when you're sorting through junk and you find something awesome? hehe

Enjoy.

2838378288_2e90dcac32.jpg

2837542565_e3584c04a9.jpg

2838379938_acdd4160db.jpg

2837539115_fba060f911.jpg

Those are pretty interesting, any idea how old they are or where they came from?

I dont know if this was the source for Est's watches, but after the fall of the Soviet Union a company by the name of Sovietski imported many soviet items into the united states. I purchased a few items from the Soviet space program from them. They also had soviet military items such as watches, some KGB items etc... one item I wished I had purchased was an officers dress sword, it was beautiful and completely authentic.... after the fall of the USSR they were selling everything that wasn't bolted down

I remember the tank watch...

oh well, it was a great ride for 4 or 5 yrs, but the flood gates dried up eventually

Av

Awesome! That second watch is a beast! I would love to sport that bad boy. Any stories behind those? My closet of junk includes lame stuff like raggedy copies of Nintendo Power, a ball of yarn, and some old yard sticks...

xvart.

Even though I hate war, I dig that tank one!

Every so often I weed out my old collected stuff, I hardly have anything around anymore other than millions of books and art tools. I miss a lotta the stuff I can remember having... I gotta go through my boxes of "must keep but have nowhere for it" out in the garage tomorrow, this old watch post has inspired me! :-D

Hey thanks for the nice comments everyone. Here is all I know about the watches:

They were purchased at some point by my uncle who resides in Poland.

The company that made these watches is Vostok (Russian Восток). I believe that all of the watches shown are by Vostok, anyway. There are one or two which I'm not completely sure about. A few of these watches are from the Komandirskie line, others from the Amphibia line. The latter of which was made popular in the military due to their ability to withstand a 200m depth (!). The early models were created in the 60's and were quite popular by 1980.

In 2006-2008 they did a kind of revival of the Komandirskie and Amphibia lines, but I do know that these are not from that time period.

I'll have to ask when my uncle gave these to my family, but I know that the last time my uncle was here was ~10 years ago, so they could be no younger. Another thing that leads me to believe that these are older is the glow-in-the-dark dots painted by each of the hours. If you follow the link in my original post, you can see in the hi-res pictures that the dots are highly imperfect, presumably done by hand.

They are all mechanical watches using jewel bearings rather than quartz. Though this is general less-accurate than electrical watches, Vostok has a good reputation for making accurate watches, even those for marine use (which is pretty difficult for a mechanical timepiece.)

That's about all the information that I have at this point. I'll let you know if I find out more. :)

I bought a few when I was in Odessa and Yalta back in '92. The street vendors were selling them at all the tourist stops.

Note differences in details (especially the USSR inscription at 6 o'clock):

scan0004.jpg
scan0005.jpg

I bought a couple others, submarine service and artillary I think that I gave away as gifts. I think those were counterfeit as they were much lighter and the backs didn't have the inscription or serial numbers.

Some shots from Odessa
odessa02.jpg

odessa03.jpg

odessa01.jpg

The Steps of Odessa made famous in Sergei Eisenstein's silent movie "Battleship Potemkin"

very nice you two...
Av

Last edited:
Back