User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are the distinguishing characteristics....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are all good descriptions of adolescence.

America's punk, goth and emo scenes are outlets for suburban kids who resent growing up in a four bedroom split-level and needing someone to drive them to the nearest playground. For 99%, it's just fashion or adolescent rebellion that'll be shelved just before going out to look for a real job.

I never saw a goth or anyone with a mohawk until I went to college in 1979 and finally started going out. They seemed pretty radical, but that was 30 years ago. I never saw kids doing it back then, probably because it was pretty outrageous and parents wouldn't allow it. Now it's so mainstream that plenty of parents don't mind if their kid wants to dress for Halloween every day.

Goth got famous because of Siouxsie and the Banshees, who were pretty big when I arrived at college. I've never liked the music, which is awfully stilted, or the Nightmare Before Christmas sense of fashion. It doesn't seem to have changed much over the years, other than for cosmetic innovations that produce an even more corpse-like appearance. The music sounds as constipated as ever. As for Emo, I no longer know what it means because the definition keeps changing. When I was in my 20s, it was punk music with more chords and less gratuitous violence.

I remember the sensationalistic news coverage of punk during the Sex Pistols' American tour. It opened the eyes of whitebread suburbia, me included. One TV talking head was acting as if Godzilla had just stepped up out of the Atlantic. It was like the alarmist coverage of Elvis wiggling his hips, except Elvis wasn't singing about anarchy or the government being a fascist regime. My father went to Europe for business at that time and I asked him to get me some punk records if he got the chance. He didn't, but did get some photos of punks and people with mohawks hanging around a London park. It was pretty heady stuff for a high schooler in the suburbs of Jackson, MS. But those people are hitting their 50s now and the shock value is long gone.

Don't get me wrong; I love punk music to this day. Maybe it's because I'm a fan of distortion and dissonance and of musicians who put everything they have into a song, even if they don't have very much. But fashion is just a costume, whether it's a banker in a Brook Brothers suit or a kid all in black with a pasty white face and black lipstick. I hate costumes.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the " i hate costumes " statement, thats why its hard to determine... what people dress tends to be a guideline for people to determine what group people are with but most of those groups would deny obviously their looks as being a part of a group. they want to be an " individual " haha

cmon we've all done blue mowhawks with leather jackets and big patches with your favorite no one knows this band stuff. haha

now if I could only dig up a photograph haha

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL the ads on this page are for Bad Religion's 2008 tour, one of my buddies is going to see them in Thunder Bay

wanna see something warped, look up a site called "emo corner"

IMO anyone who puts pretty much ANY effort into appearing as a certain "type" has some issues

I know me and Josh are of the same mind on metal- despite what anyone might think, the very core of proper heavy metal music is FUN. I likes me music a LOT and I suppose it can influence my presentation a bit but I don't actually try to do things based on it. Also despite appearances, going to a metal show packed with "scary lookin" folks is one of the safest things you can do, no joke- you can walk up to folks you don't know and just talk to them, "attitude" is to be checked at the door if it's even present in the first place

I don't get much of the "goth" or "emo" thing- if life hurts SO much why F-ing bother?? The whole culture of suffering/weakness thing makes ZERO sense to me, the punk attitude of "this stuff sucks, let's just ignore it" is a MUCH more admirable POV

Besides I'd look silly with black nail-polish on
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha I like most of what you've said until they verrry bottom, no not about the nailpolish just that punks dont really go with the "this stuff sucks, lets just ignore it." most of punk started up for kids to speak out against the normal working class and the government and really whatever they thought was messed up. its more of like a social protest more often than not. punks tend put themselves thru a lot of trouble so that its not ignored. hence the bright colors and outrageous attitudes usually. the last thing punks want is to be ignored.

... in my experience that is..

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhh sorry, train of thought got derailed- I meant more of a "ignore it and build yer own stuff" kind of ignore- sorta of like thoughtful ignorance, knowing the "way things are", hating it and refusing to play by the established rules, making sure folks understand that they are NOT following along

I agree totally with what you said there tho, I just express myself oddly sometimes
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm considered "goth" for the way I dress by some, but I just do my own thing. -shrugs- I like dog collars and black t-shirts, get over it people! that's just ME.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I have to say about this is thank god I am out of high school!
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha joosa your right, I feel like MOST of that was left in highschool, I still have the same values and music taste and express myself in whichever way I want, but theres far less drama since i've been out of that deathtrap known as highschool.

oh and joosa if your really an office fan you'll try me on some office trivia, see if I dont dominate I dare you! haha I love the office, in the official office calender sept is the month of angela, just thought you should know

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast