User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are the distinguishing characteristics....

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are the distinguishing characteristics....

Goth:

Punk:

Emo:

I get conflicting definitions. What makes one different from the other two?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Goth is when you wear all black and what not. Punk...no idea...Emo is supposedly like Goth, but are depressed and inflict pain on themselves. I'm not entirely sure, though.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha I can't believe you just asked this question...

the amount of crazy disputed turmoil that would ensue I would think might destroy the world
    I could be wrong... TF does have some down to earth people.

I think the real problem with this question is that you WILL get different opinions becuase the 3 different things are just a matter of opinion and labeling, of which either the group doesn't actually want, or is ferociously against being labeled incorrectly, even without a great definition of what it is to be a part of that label...

now generally speaking these are types of music genres, and the crowd that follows that genre. so easier than dissecting the groups of people since their are too many sub catagories to include.. just look at the differences in the music.

I just wikipedia'd this to see if I could quote them on this and I already disagree with what they've put in there... maybe I'm wrong and confused?

eitherway I grew up very very involved in the punk culture in kansas city, played bass for a punk band and got into trouble listened to the old school punk music, i.e. the circle jerks, blackflag, fugazi,FEAR, minor threat, bad brains, electric frankenstien, DRI, the list goes on...some of you "older" people may have heard of some of those guys there not to common to be seen amongst the crowds today...

oh but I can tell you that "Goth" and "emo" are subcategories of Punk. so now all the "punk" kids have to call themselves Oldschool Punk just becuase theres too many new divisions haha

'll be interested to see what responses you get out of this...
    let the fun begin...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It can describe music, although often just social groups in school or styles.

Goths are people who tend to write depressing poetry and have negative views on the world, often wearing black clothing and eye liner. A motif of death is often symbolized with them.

People who are "punk" often have crazy hair (dyed, styled, etc.) and clothing (often tight pants) and listen to loud screaming music.

Emo (short for emotional) people are similar to goths (and often used to describe them nowadays) but are usually "drama queens" and really don't know what they want in life. Goths usually do. Often characterized by "cutting" and sitting alone in a corner. Also often have tight pants.

For music:

Gothic music is sort of dark and scary, dunno really much about it.

Punk is just really friggin crazy, sort of like rock and roll or metal or stuff like that.

And emo music is just depressing music that makes you feel sad.

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emos are like goth but more color, they write poetry and cry a lot and also inflict pain on themselves.
    Scene kids look like emo kids but are a lot less emotional and don't cut themselves.
    Goths, uh ask SirKristoff he use to be goth.
    punk, ask nepenthesak.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goth: Sad at the world because they think the world is sad.

Punk: Mad at the world because they think the world is mad.

Emo: Same as goths, just with less sadness and more madness.

Oh, and all are crazy. They also like to use these labels as excuses for acting out, "voicing themselves" and inflivting harm unto themselves and others.

I must admit that I myself am a little bit punk, because I think that the world is upside-down, and it makes me a little mad, in both ways. Plus I like the "look."

So, do what you want with those definitions. There are many ways they can be interpreted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it all comes down to the tight pants.

I've been punk & metal for who knows how long (21 years at least if you start counting when i got my 18" hair cut into a mohawk at age 12). I listen to metal music most of the time but I identify more with punks, most metal guys are just into beer and women and don't give two hoots about much else. Punks I grew up with we all educated ourselves on racism, sexism, homophobia, government, and all the stuff that makes us "evil" cos we fight/speak against it. We didn't believe our school was any good especially since these kinds of ideas were being propagated by the people in and attending our school. We read our own book selections, wrote/printed our own mags, did a lot of political activity, even though we were in a small town we made a little scene with us and the neighboring towns punks/motivated metallers. The anarcho-punks in Minneapolis called us the "Country Punks: leaping corn fields in a single bound" when we went to AYF meetings and all that to chide us for living out here. But in the end I'm the only hold out who never left the small town but still hold my crazy rather relativist views.

MN had a large goth/darkwave scene especially "back in the day" before Hot Topics made mall-goth popular. The classics were bands like: Alien Sex Fiend, Bauhaus, Christian Death, Current 93, Death in June and London After Midnight among others. Original Goths were basically rich kid punks who got into heroin and black magic/occult topics - usually in a rather silly and insincere fashion with no real knowledge of magical theory and practice. Also, since many goths are rich kids (they can afford the "H") they usually hold aristocratic & republican views quite at odds with the punk scene.

Emos are basically as stated, just emotional car crashes. Cases self-extracted from the above scenes, often by excessive use of "X" and bound for the psyche ward until their Seratonin levels even out. Emo's listen to basically the same music as the other two with an emphasis on the more depressive bands.

But these are my experiences with the old guards of the scene, I can't make any statement about what the Hot Topic punks, goths & emos of today are like. They always look at me like I'm a Narc or a Pedophile when I go in there to buy a classic metal tee shirt... and I'm neither I'm just an old fart punk!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading this discussion reminds of something. Below are excerpts (and slight modifications) from Wikipedia. Which classification best fits the description below?

Much of this culture represented a negative stance rather than a positive one. It was animated more by a vague feeling of cultural and emotional displacement, dissatisfaction, and yearning, than by a specific purpose or program.

This culture was far from monolithic. It was many different, conflicting, shifting states of mind.

The philosophy was generally counter-cultural, anti-materialistic and stressed the importance of bettering one's inner self over and above material possessions.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast