What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Considering cell phones.

My wife and I are the last two people in the world who dont own cellphones! ;)

never give them much thought..
But I was just talking with some co-workers about plans, and it might be finally time to make the switch..there are many times when we have been out somewhere, or one of us needs to call the other from the store or something, where we say "a cell phone sure would be handy right about now.." ;)

Right now we have the traditional "land line"..we pay $25 a month for phone service and $25 a month for DSL, both through Frontier.

We seldom make long distance calls, but when we do, we use a pre-paid phone card..cheaper than frontier rates..we add maybe $20 worth of minutes to it every 2 or 3 months..

so lets say alltogether we pay $35 a month total for phone service..thats it.

If we could find a cellphone plan that gives us the same service for the same price, we would consider dropping the land-line and going "all-cell"..(then use Frontier only for the internet..)

We would want a plan with two phones, so we can call each other.
and there are really only two "long distance" people we call on a regular basis..both our sets of parents..thats it.

anyone know of any plans that could give us that for around $35 a month or less?
without worrying about extra charges? I was just looking at one plan where you can add 5 people to your "anytime" list..that would work perfectly for us..

we dont care about texting..we will probably never do it..
we dont care about camera phones..we have real cameras..
the specific phone itself is of much less concern to me than the plan..

any thoughts, ideas or advice?

thanks!
Scot

My wife and I are the last two people in the world who dont own cellphones! ;)

never give them much thought..
But I was just talking with some co-workers about plans, and it might be finally time to make the switch..there are many times when we have been out somewhere, or one of us needs to call the other from the store or something, where we say "a cell phone sure would be handy right about now.." ;)

Right now we have the traditional "land line"..we pay $25 a month for phone service and $25 a month for DSL, both through Frontier.

We seldom make long distance calls, but when we do, we use a pre-paid phone card..cheaper than frontier rates..we add maybe $20 worth of minutes to it every 2 or 3 months..

so lets say alltogether we pay $35 a month total for phone service..thats it.

If we could find a cellphone plan that gives us the same service for the same price, we would consider dropping the land-line and going "all-cell"..(then use Frontier only for the internet..)

We would want a plan with two phones, so we can call each other.
and there are really only two "long distance" people we call on a regular basis..both our sets of parents..thats it.

anyone know of any plans that could give us that for around $35 a month or less?
without worrying about extra charges? I was just looking at one plan where you can add 5 people to your "anytime" list..that would work perfectly for us..

we dont care about texting..we will probably never do it..
we dont care about camera phones..we have real cameras..
the specific phone itself is of much less concern to me than the plan..

any thoughts, ideas or advice?

thanks!
Scot

My girlfriend and I are on the Sprint program and it is fairly reasonable by CA standards but over 35.00 a month. My suggestion is to go the prepaid cellular phone route -- the phones available through any larger store chain. You simply purchase minutes as you go -- not much different from the phone cards that you mentioned. It was the best bet while overseas and those that use them here seem rather happy with the whole no-two-year-contract-dance . . .

no clue what we pay, the wife handles that bill.........but i would check with everyone yah know that has cell phones and see what companies phones work best.......living in the middle of nowhere has been interesting.....the wife and i have ours through Verizon and have non-local numbers......why? cause for some dang reason even though there isnt a Verizon cell tower for about 100 miles their phones work the best around here.....no clue why but i will often have better service than someone with the same model phone using the same tower that is owned by the company they have their plan through......they might have 1 bar and ive got full service.........and we are standing beside each other grabbing a signal from the same tower.........

Back