What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you "Mate"?

I'm curious if anyone else here drinks Yerba Mate (mah-tay)? Sometimes called "Paraguayan tea" (though it's said to be Argentina's national drink) made from the Ilex paraguariensis tree. I received 4 bags of various brands today, one brand is shown below but it's not my pic. I've tried two of the brands and they both taste similar - like green tea but not bitter at all (you don't use boiling water with it only 150*F water or so). The main difference of brands is supposedly in the curing style and time of the leaves & stems. There are flavored Mate brands - the shipper sent me a brand that is supposed to have mint added but I don't taste much difference, like all those "flavored" coffees they sell, I can tell a diff in scent but not really taste.

4b60_1.JPG

I like the style of this brands package, makes me imagine it was bagged by an order of Monks or Rosicrucians or something. Inside it looks like a bag of dried hedge clippings - yum!

Here is the traditional way to drink Mate, from a gourd with a filtered metal straw called a Bombilla
My black & silver decorated gourd and bombilla set haven't arrived yet so this isn't my pic either. :)

4f9a_1.JPG

for anyone interested it works to bag it yourself in a disposable tea bag or run it like coffee as I did in each of the trials today but I wanna try the traditional way too!

wow, wasnt sure what I was getting myself into by clicking on this thread title... :0o:

That's why I put it thatta way! :-D

Actually, I have a friend who went to Argentina for a full year as part of some school programme, and he drinks the stuff nonstop (as they did in Argentina.) I tried some and was rather fond of it, but I don't know how people can perpetually suck it down, I don't want to be drinking constantly (although with a week like this one... but that's another story. ;) )

I'm not a constant tea-coffee drinker myself. I generally only have one cup of tea or coffee every day or two otherwise I only drink ice water. I bought so much cos I was paying postage. There's rumor that it's not good long-term to drink more than 1 liter of mate a day but since I plan to drink it only once a week or so it should be ok. I kinda made myself queasy by having two mates during the day and a strong cup of coffee this evening. Mate is said to be a minor MAO inhibitor so maybe that potentiated the already strong coffee - I always make mine double strength w/ no cream. Two cups of tea, coffee or mate is all the caffeine I can take in 24 hours I guess. :)

I drink it. Course what I get is probably a little removed from the original style you seem to use given I get mine at a chain tea shop. Drinking a bit now, mixed with lemongrass.

Back