What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's YOUR job/career

• Thread starter upper
  • Start date
Well, I have my degree in Information Systems with a specialty in Network Administration and Support. This covers a wide range in the technology field. Alas I am still job searching. It's not that I'm picky, I'd be happy sitting in a back room fixing computers all day. This area is terrible for finding something other than a part time, minimum wage job. I thank the military base of that. Early next year I hope to be moving out to western North Carolina in hopes of finding a halfway decent job that deals at least somewhat with my degree. Haven't decided where exactly yet, but am looking into Gastonia, Charlotte, Asheville along with any other city that becomes of interest (anyone that lives near these areas and has some input, please feel free to PM me).

Crystal

Last edited:
Well, I have my degree in Information Systems with a specialty in Network Administration and Support. This covers a wide range in the technology field. Alas I am still job searching. It's not that I'm picky, I'd be happy sitting in a back room fixing computers all day. This area is terrible for finding something other than a part time, minimum wage job. I thank the military base of that. Early next year I hope to be moving out to western North Carolina in hopes of finding a halfway decent job that deals at least somewhat with my degree. Haven't decided where exactly yet, but am looking into Gastonia, Charlotte, Asheville along with any other city that becomes of interest (anyone that lives near these areas and has some input, please feel free to PM me).

Crystal

Surprising to hear of your difficulties. In the past few months I've been job hunting here, there are oodles of very well paying jobs in your exact field and background ( so much so I'm jealous of what they get paid - sheesh$$$$). Best of luck to you!

Only lucky for me if I can get out of here! My family is like the 1% of the civilians left in this city. This area is no longer civilian friendly. It doesn't matter how qualified I am, if a Marine applies for the same position regardless of his experience he will get it. It's based on a point system here. It's just my luck I automatically have less points than everyone else, even the wives that aren't serving have precedence. Nice eh? I don't want to get into it too much, as I don't want to offend anyone here that may have been or may still be serving in the military. I'm hoping all will work out so I can get out of here. It looks like for the time being I'll have to apply to Lowes or maybe HomeDepot. I'm getting sick of sitting at home looking through nonexistent jobs.

Crystal

Ive got a BA in Psychology, a BS in Biology and recently got my Associates of Applied Science in Radiologic Technology.... I just graduated with my Assoc. in May.

...so that makes me an x-ray tech. :) I work in an Urgent Care.

I'm a graphic artist full time and freelance when I can get it. I'm currently producing the CPN and my first issue just came out in September. Woohoo!

I'm a graphic artist full time and freelance when I can get it. I'm currently producing the CPN and my first issue just came out in September. Woohoo!

So many artists. Cool! Like I said in my previous posts - art always was my first love, but I gave it up partway through college. I'd really like to earn a living doing it. I miss it immensely! I'm never happier than when I'm doing art.

So all you artists - did you go to school for it? I'm just curious what path worked for you folks as I've heard it's a very difficult field to make a living in. Since I'm starting all over career-wise, I'm all ears.

Full time student. I am working on my Ph.D in organometallics. Eventually I would like to work on the University level so I can teach and do research. As a TA I was shocked how much I liked to teach and gained a new respect for all my old Prof/teachers.

Ive got a BA in Psychology, a BS in Biology and recently got my Associates of Applied Science in Radiologic Technology.... I just graduated with my Assoc. in May.

...so that makes me an x-ray tech. :) I work in an Urgent Care.

Have you asked yourself, yet, "Why did I go to college"?

Im a Research technician/Imaging scientist at the R&D labs at Kodak.
worked in several areas over the last 12 years,
mostly digital image quality, making your digital camera images look better.

Scot

Well its not really a decent paying job but im a stay at home wife/mother care giver for both my hubby and daughter, both have health probs but also im president of our car club so thats a job in its self right there. Im always on the go with the club be it planning events/ gatherings /contests or at the track where i love to be most....

Well its not really a decent paying job but im a stay at home wife/mother care giver for both my hubby and daughter, both have health probs but also im president of our car club so thats a job in its self right there. Im always on the go with the club be it planning events/ gatherings /contests or at the track where i love to be most....

Nothing wrong with that. Our society (unfairly) criticizes stay at home moms or dads. There is a real benefit gained from that, and of course some don't have choice when giving care. More power to ya!

Our society (unfairly) criticizes stay at home moms or dads.

I don't think our society criticizes stay at home parents; I just don't think they get recognition as other jobs do.

xvart.

I'm a full time student in college (paying my own way), but I work part time in a warehouse. Lucky for me, this job covers about $2,000/semester for good grades, which really takes a chunk out of what I have to pay, which is why I am able to pay my own way:-D . I work full time during the summer and over Christmas. I don't care for the work there, but it's the best deal available right now (and has been for the last 3 years), so...

Thanks nightsky & xvart i apreciate that.. This is how i get paid for what i do, funny thing is the goverment says its a job and pays me but in the whole process they also take away from us as well, they pay hubby his SSD, they take away a certain amount of that pay from hubby to pay my daughter her SSD, ok so theres a loss right there, then they turn around and take from my daughter to pay me for care giver, Now where do they see there paying us seperatley and that we each make enough to survive on?:censor: I think the stinkin goverment is BRAINLESS.:crazy: :censor: Insted of paying us with 3 stinkin checks why dont they just send the same amount in 1 stinkin check.. What do i think of the goverment.:censor: BLEEP :censor: BLEEP :censor: Sure i aint got no 9 to 5 job i have a 24-7 job, im on my feet 24-7 always doing something for my family, if it aint bills, doctors, cleaning up after, driving to and from docs and everywhere else then dealing with the stress of it every stinkin day and also trying to figure out how we are gona get by for the month when the STINKIN goverment dont even pay us enough to get by for the month, i deal with every days trials and tribulations, the stress alone can really get to you let alone putting up with the crap from both of them even though im wife and mother.. The kicker part is all them yrs hubby worked as a welder and all the money the goverment suck outa him they dont even give half of that back to him, i wana see where in the world they came up with we make to much money a month. $1,700 a month is not enough to pay $1,865 in bills alone each month let alone have ANY money to get by for food and everything else. I wana see the goverment live on our budget, THEY COULDNT DO IT, BUT WE DO SOMEHOW....

When people ask me what I do at the lab job I draw an analogy to Seinfeld. Seinfeld is the "show about nothing". I collect water and air samples at various "points of use". and run tests for TOC's, Conductivity, Heavy Metals, and Nitrates. My job is to confirm that the water and air that goes into our products is within specifications. "Nothing is good". This is the job about nothing.

I'm a senior in high school and I really like it (pres. of greenhouse club). I am also a soccer referee (about $1400 a year), a babysitter of kids with autism, and a math tutor for middle schoolers.

All of those careers are just awesome. Genetics, Environmentology, Piloting, Programming, and tutoring...wow. Kudos to all of you!

I myself am merely a sophomore in high school, but I am dreaming big. I want to go into a career in aerospace engineering, and possibly become an astronaut, meaning I have my work cut out for me. Embry-Riddle and the Air Force Academy are really the only options for college that I have. Plus, I am already working on getting my Private Pilot's License, and i hope to be flying soon.

All of those careers are just awesome. Genetics, Environmentology, Piloting, Programming, and tutoring...wow. Kudos to all of you!

I myself am merely a sophomore in high school, but I am dreaming big. I want to go into a career in aerospace engineering, and possibly become an astronaut, meaning I have my work cut out for me. Embry-Riddle and the Air Force Academy are really the only options for college that I have. Plus, I am already working on getting my Private Pilot's License, and i hope to be flying soon.

If your goal is to be a pilot, make sure that you get a degree not aviation related. I cannot stress this enough. A lot of these places offer 'aviation management' degrees, and trust me, they are nearly useless. I know, I have one. Employers do not take it seriously outside of the flying world. Sure, airlines accept it (they don't care what your degree is in), but should you not be able to fly you don't want to have to go back to school, a reality I'm facing now. Make sure you get a degree in something else that interests you as a backup, in case of furlough, loss of medical, etc. Get something that will be useful and will be accepted and known.

As far as embry riddle vs. air force academy, do the academy by far. There is a stigma in the airline industry regarding riddle graduates. Academy graduates get the best options and positions, plus your flying is paid for. And if you want a chance of being an astronaut, the academy is a no brainer. More and more, the astronauts are not trained aviators, but rather Phd's in the science fields, who they then train to fly the missions. The mission commanders will still have a flying background though.

If your goal is aeronautical engineering, with just some flying on the side, well I know nothing of that world so good luck ;)

If you ever have questions, feel free to PM me, I love to talk flying, despite what the industry has put me through. You probably already know of them, but I could direct you to some good flying/pro pilot message boards.

Just for fun, here's a link to some of my photos I've taken while on the job. I miss the flying part, it's been a couple months due to my medical leave. I've got tons more that I haven't uploaded.

http://www.pbase.com/bluemanor/fly&page=all

Listen to nightsky about the aviation. A former neighbor got an aviation degree from an Ohio school (I forget the name, but it's a real school) and actually has done awfully well, given the struggles many pilots are having. But last I heard (within the last couple weeks), he hasn't worked in a couple months. That aviation degree and the flight hours he already had upon graduation got his foot in the door, but it provides nothing to fall back on. By the way, ROTC also offers a path to being a pilot and the Air Force doesn't have a monopoly on flying. Good luck to both of you.

Bruce and Nightsky,

Thanks for your input and concerns - I've heard of all of those problems already, in one form or another! :)

I come from a military family, and my father was an F-117A Nighthawk pilot...so aviator's blood runs in the family. My older brother is applying to the Academy - he's a senior - and he hopes to be a military pilot as well. Private pilotage is merely a stepping stone, not really a career for us. It seems private pilots are going through a lot of trouble these days, especially with the outrageous fuel prices.

The Academy is the #1 option for me right now. Last year, I was worried that the strict military lifestyle was not for me. This year I joined AFJROTC at my high school, and I have to say that the military life may be the life for me. I realize that the Academy will be orders of magnitude more difficult than high school JROTC, but I have time to prepare for it.
If I am not accepted by the Academy, then Embry-Riddle with ROTC will be the way to go.

I plan to become an aerospace engineer - designing rockets, spaceplanes, jets, and satellites - and minor in electrical engineering, as those seem to pave the best path to becoming an astronaut, if I could possibly accomplish that. Piloting a new space vehicle or jet, possibly being partly of my own design, would simply be an awesome bonus. :)

Thanks again for your concerns!

Jimmy

P.S. - Nightsky, those are some of the most remarkable images I've ever seen! I sincerely wish you the best of luck in finding a new job. When I get some time off of homework I may PM you so we can discuss some of these topics...AP classes are putting loads of homework on my back!

Back