North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love making dishes with butternut squash

change that to buttercup and yah got my vote

i dont like doing anything terribly complicated...i can do it but dont like to do the work...if its much more than chopping stuff up and adding it to a pot i tend not to do it......only thing i will sit at the stove and actually spend alot of time preparing is gravy.......drives my wife nuts cause after the meat and such is done and her and the girls are eating im still sitting at the stove making my gravy from the drippings getting it just right and i usually start eating about the time they are finished......the wife and girls arent to big on gravy preferring plain butter for their mashed potatoes but if we cook a ham, turkey, big slab of beef in the oven i will spend more time making the gravy to go with my potatoes than i spent getting the hunk of meat ready for the oven
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ramen Noodles!
    Insanity is a sane response to an insane world.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love cooking! Omelettes and frittatas were my first real dishes, back in grade school. The first time I ever tried to cook I went to make eggs in a hole (eggy in a bready as some call it) but at three years old, I couldn't reach the burner control by myself.
    Also a few French foods - baked brie and roasted garlic, French onion soup - mostly steakhouse-type fare. I used to bake a lot of things; cookies, cakes, etc. and have a number of different chocolate candy recipes under my belt. Every few years I'll make a huge batch of truffles and use them for Christmas/Hannukah gifts. I used to make ice cream all the time, but then my machine broke and I haven't bothered to get a new one. A full Thanksgiving dinner with turkey, sweet potatoes, green beans, stuffing, gravy, pastry rolls and all the rest is probably my favorite cooking task. I'll usually make Thanksgiving dinner at least two to three times a year so that I can get together with friends that usually go eat with their families on the actual holiday. It's a great chance to get scraps like turkey carcass and potato skins, which I use to make stock and such.
    Enchiladas and other Mexican/Tex-Mex foods are another cuisine I'm good at - my mom grew up in Arizona and did a lot of traveling in Central America and passed on a lot of those recipes to me. I can make some great homestyle foods, like spaghetti, meatloaf, barbeque (steak, burgers, chicken, whatever.) Growing up in the Northwest, I've got some really good tricks for salmon. I've also been learning quite a few Asian cuisines lately. I have a number of Thai dishes under my belt - pud se ew, pud thai, green curry, moo ping. I can also do a lot of Japanese and Korean dishes from the time I spent with Japanese exchange students and my trip to Korea - sushi/kimpap rolls, Japanese curry, pickled veggies (pickling isn't really cooking but it's close) and okonomiyaki to name a few.
    Lately I've been trying to teach myself Indian cooking. I can make a pretty good paneer (a young cheese, like ricotta) and I use that to make palak paneer, my favorite spinach dish. I've been trying to make up my own chicken masala recipe for a while, and I've come pretty close on the taste but it never sets up right. I want to learn more about making bread (yeast is intimidating) so that I can make my own naan.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seedjar: If you want I can share a couple of my Chicken Masala/Curry tricks with you if you want. It sounds like we have similar interests in cooking. Being a college student, I am fairly limited in the number or large undertakings I can make, for example, I would make chicken stock more often, but have nowhere to keep gallons and gallons of the stuff, seeing as I share my fridge with some roomates. Besides, they already think I'm nuts. Anyhow, you mentioned an interest in Japanese cuisine, have you ever tried Don Buri (spelling)? It's a noodle dish with broth, usually a fried cutlet of sorts, and an egg. It is similar to Udon, but not quite the same. I've been trying to find a recipe for it, and everything I find requires ingredients I've never heard of!

I'm glad to see so many people enjoy cooking as well. Although it would be totally off subject, we should all have a recipe exchange of some sort. Maybe we could ever pull together a Terra Forums cookbook.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uhh... Pumpkin pie from a can, which I make every year around thanksgiving I like cooking but I never have a chance to actually do it myself.
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.
    My growing growlist of growing things

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to live by the headquarters of Uwajimaya, which I believe is the largest Japanese/Asian grocery chain in the states, and back then I explored Japanese recipes a lot more. Japanese soups are difficult without the right flavoring ingredients, so I haven't been able to do as much since moving to college. The only reason I can still make okonomiyaki is because it's such a leftovers-and-scraps-type dish, and includes a lot of Western ingredients. I can't stand houses full of roommates - I'm a pretty much by-myself/one-roomie type of guy - so I usually have the fridge to myself or can commandeer it (since my roommates are never as interested in cooking as I am, and like having big stockpiles of leftovers around.) The trick to making and saving stock is to make it really rich - never add more water than you need to cover your ingredients - and then condense it before storing it; I can make enough broth for several large batches of stew and condense it down to one 16oz container.
    I'd enjoy looking at your masala recipes. My problem is that whenever I add the yogurt, it curds up into little cheesy bits and then the whey makes the sauce way too wet, so I end up with what looks like cottage cheese in watery tomato soup. It tastes delicious, though - almost exactly like the Tasty Bite entrées from the store (except spicier... I love spicier.)
    ~Joe

PS - Does anyone know how to make phở?
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can cook anything that cooks slowly. I don't have a feel for fast-cooked things - stirfry and such. I think it's my Pennsylvania Dutch heritage, since they don't believe in eating anything that hasn't cooked for longer than it had been alive.

I'm astounded to find out Rattler & I agree about squash, with buttercup getting the thumbs up and butternut getting a thumbs down. That's maybe only the 2nd or 3rd thing we've ever agreed on.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast