Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What can you cook?

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What can you cook?

Hi all. A big interest of mine over the past couple years has been the art of cooking. Although I am only a college student, I often spend my Sunday afternoons slaving away over the store trying to make some new creation. I enjoy cooking, and indeed find it a relaxing and rewarding experience. It is fun to challenge yourself by attempting new dishes of increasing skill, and to tweak old classics by adding a little bit of this and less of that. Last Sunday I tried my arm at an old French classic, Coq au Vin. It is chicken that is cooked in wine (traditionally Burgundy, but you can also use a dry red, normally Pinot Noir for this dish) along with some other ingredients. In the end you end up with a very rich sauce, which I complimented with a French potato dish called Pommes Anna. I was rather proud of it, so I thought I'd share, and see what other people on the forum enjoy cooking. I can also make some excellent Indian and Thai curry dishes, both of which I have taken from base recipes and then tweaked a bit to where I would consider them my version, I can make a mean baked gourmet macaroni and cheese, and when I'm feeling extra zealous, I will whip up Flan from scratch, which is actually rather difficult. So here are a few pics of the Coq au Vin during cooking and on the plate.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lookin' good!

The only thing I can cook well is Chinese sweet and sour chicken.

I'm working on Pad Thai Noodles, as that is one of my favorite foods.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shark's fin soup.

Until I stopped eating it after finding out about the cruelty towards sharks and the high mercury level in the fins.

Living in Singapore, I have learnt to cook at least one dish from every race well.
    Curry fishhead (Indian)
    Mee rebus (Malay)
    Oxtail stew (Caucasian)
    etc

But my best dishes are Chinese and fusion food (asian ingredients with western style of cooking or spices, and vice versa) which I serve my family. They are my guinea pigs.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, we're NOT counting frozen pizzas, jalapeno poppers and such right? Cos that narrows it down considerably...!

-Oven baked "fried chicken" (I'm too cheap buy the $10 worth of oil it takes to fill my fryer every time)
    -Spaghetti
    -Corned beef (my fave but probably the worst thing for ya)
    -Terriyaki pork steaks
    -Curried beef & noodles (not the spicy stuff just the sweet - I'm a wimp)
    -Fried potatoes and onions & polish sausage "medalions"
    -Rice Krispies squares with the chocolate & butterscotch chips smeared thick on top - oh yeah!
    -Enoki mushrooms, onion and smashed garlic clove sauteed in butter and put on a toasted sourdough bun with melted cheese.
    -Stuffed portabella mushrooms baked with fresh Parmesan cheese ontop
    -Gyros
    -MEATLOAF!!!

I made a lasagna once but it cost a lot and took a long time of fooling around in the kitchen.
    I like tactical strikes where I can get in and out of the kitchen before I get hit with any flying shrapnel. Hence the Hot Pocket!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheesecake
    Pancakes
    French Toast
    Spaghetti
    Oatmeal Cookies
    Fried Rice
    Baked Tuna Noodle Casserole
    Omelots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i can cook bout anything if i try but the two dishes that i get rave reviews for are my smoked beef prime rib and "Chicken Crap" though a different word is used.........the chicken crap is a chicken and wild rice casserole i came up with trying to make a creamy chicken and wild rice soup.....prolly unhealthy as hell for yah but its a favorite at hunting camp cause its a hearty meal that sticks to your ribs after you spent all day living on jerky and granola bars out walking your **** off looking for deer and elk in the Breaks.......it got its name from the first few experiments making it where i over cooked the rice and it kinda disintegrated leaving me with a dish that looked like something that came out the back end of the bird i was trying to cook but it tasted wonderful......ive now got the cooking time nailed and it looks like a chicken and wild rice casserole but the name stuck....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i enjoy using asian spices with all sorts of styles!

I love using the wok, and a favorite recipe of mine is Curry-Honney Chicken with all the good wok vegetables, shrip battered with a honey and curry batter, and then thrown together with lots of garlic.

I also am rather good at the cooking of muchrooms...
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All vegetarian- no end of stir frys, curries (NO pre-made curry-stuff, all dish-specific, hand ground spices), pea soup, stews, pakoras/bhajiis, various marinated and grilled vegetables (best in pita wraps)

Pretty much anything I put my mind to- tho actual baking is a bit of a trick for me if it involves stuff rising etc lol
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast