What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

all i can say is wow.........

This is not what he said - this is what you inferred from what he said by saying "Only baby animals drink milk". Human babies are baby animals (they are not vegetable nor mineral). Some human cultures do not drink milk after the infant stage. Asians for example are not big milk drinkers after childhood. Most Asians I know (vietnamese, hmong, chinese, thais and laotians) do not consume much dairy products of any kind (milk or cheese) in adulthood outside the occasional "free pizza lunches" at work. Eggs are popular in their cooking if you wish to consider them dairy products, but working with many nationalities of Asians has allowed me to find this bit eastern wisdom out: "milk is for the babies". Whenever I drink milk for heartburn they ask me "You a big baby now? ha ha!"

The rest of your rant seems to run off into medieval Aristotelian either/or logic. I.E. "If you don't believe we should drink milk therefore you seem to believe A, B, or C...". When the kid said none of that and I did not see it implied because we can see that tends to get rather ridiculous. These are the sort of wild conclusions the idea that there is one correct reality-tunnel: "mine", and anyone else's ideas which differ from mine are "crazy, wrong or misguided" leads to. We're all guilty of this way of thinking from time to time but we should recognize what we're doing is enforcing our own beliefs to ourselves by making opposing views seem as ludicrous as possible. Perhaps Maneatingmoo is Asian? I have no idea of his ethnic background but you would have essentially called his culture's beliefs on dairy (for babies only) as comparable to believing only soy plants should eat soybeans. How would that even be possible?
That could be the Zen koan for the day:" How does a Soy plant eat a soy bean?" :)

I was ranting?
huh..I wasnt aware of that..

as for the rest of your post, I have no idea what you are trying to say..

Scot

It's weird how I love cow's milk, yet find the idea of consuming human milk revolting...

Vicoria, I'm sorry you were offended....this is a common joke in my house (or was, my second daughter is no longer breast feeding, but on to regular, adult food for the most part).

The joke was stared by my WIFE, a WOMAN, who said, and I QUOTE, "Time to excesise and feed the baby....at the same time!"

Not to mention, a little more vanity in the American People (men and women) would save countless lives every year from heart disease, stroke, diabetes related issues....the list goes on.

Being healthy is more that just vanity (granted, my joke was purely sophmoric and crude, as it was meant to be), it is a better way of life. You live longer, are generally happier, and can simply DO more.

Can't you get a disease from that? Why do we even drink milk anyways? Only baby animals drink milk.

Yeah, why not just take out dairy all together and replace it with something more nutritious and sustainable like oranic soy or hempseed ice cream...

Plant seeds are designed to grow a plant but not all seeds grow and become plants, if the seeds fall off the plant or whatever they could be stored so they can't grow making them okay to eat.

The idea for human milk and cowmilk ice cream sound strange, either way they both would have females in stalls with machines attached to their nipples pumping milk, giving birth and eating GM corn the rest of their life.

You can't really torture or abuse a plant, they don't have nerves so if it gets hurt it doesn't need painkillers, they dont have emotions so you can't make them sad, scared or upset. Plants grow in one spot, you don't need free range pineapples. Plants don't care how they're treated, they either grow or they don't. When they get diseases theirs no real suffering.

well evergreen............you and i are just going to have to agree to disagree.........i drink about a gallon and a half of milk a week personally and as for the cows themselves.......well......this is beef country....
523414.jpg

It's weird how I love cow's milk, yet find the idea of consuming human milk revolting...
But WHY is it revolting? Can no one offer an explanation of this view? You can't write a term paper that says "Just because it is", you have to explain why it is it. I'd like to see someone (anyone) extrapolate the idea...

Does this idea arise because we often think the human body is "dirty" or somehow "unclean"? I reiterate that as babies most all of us started by drinking human milk - what exactly has changed?

How many of us are sure we would be able to identify "human milk" from 5 blind samples of white milky substances of various mammalian species in unmarked glasses? If you've never drank it before (in conscious memory of most of us participants here at the forum) - how would you know what species of milk you were sampling?

To return from the existential angle, and look at this in a more practical level. I just don't see how the thousands or even millions of gallons produced daily for use in the home cooking and food industry could possibly be produced by humans who biologically do not naturally create the "copious" amounts of milk that say a cow or camel does. Of course there could be steroids created that would increase milk production in those willing participants...

oh i bet yah can taste the difference.....ive had goat milk before, dont care for it much, defiantly tastes different from cows......im sure you could tell human milk is different in a taste test.....doubt most could tell what it is exactly but they could tell its different from cows.......and for the record i dont find it revolting.......course i cant figure out why most dont like lamb......

i dont even want to get into the story of watching my friend accidentally drink milk that his mother had produced for the baby, and stored in a milk jug, the expression on his face was the most hillarious thing ive seen, while he commented "why does this milk taste so freaking bad" and after carefully observing the jug and seeing in small writing "Babies Milk, do not drink" he about puked. I understand coming from his own mother that is gross all in itself, but human milk is different than cows milk. like Goat milk is different as well...goat milk is gross >_<

But again, we are resorting to saying "______ milk IS gross" with no proof of WHY it receives the name of "gross". There needs to be a description that explains or expresses the same level of "grossness" of it to everyone, otherwise it isn't "gross", it is only "gross" to you. There are millions of people who drink goat and camel milk everyday who do not think it's "gross" at all. In fact some of them find cow's milk gross and disgusting, the Hindu printer lady at my job for example eschews all beef products including cow milk. She drinks goat milk and the Somalis drink Camel milk.

Again, I'd like someone to try to tell me WHY it is gross. Call your pal and see if he can tell you in exact terms the "grossness" of his accidental milk ingestion experience and report back to us anything concrete (testable/verifiable) that he can tell you about what he remembers before he knew what he was drinking. For instance: does it smell differently, is it discolored, are there chunks floating in it, had it "separated" similar to blood and plasma does when it sits, etc. ?

As far as marketing goes remember most mass market milk is pasteurized so any finished product would likely be different than anything "straight from the tap".

i dont even want to get into the story of watching my friend accidentally drink milk that his mother had produced for the baby, and stored in a milk jug, the expression on his face was the most hillarious thing ive seen, while he commented "why does this milk taste so freaking bad" and after carefully observing the jug and seeing in small writing "Babies Milk, do not drink" he about puked. I understand coming from his own mother that is gross all in itself, but human milk is different than cows milk. like Goat milk is different as well...goat milk is gross >_<

Ugh - just reading that made me revolt a little...

Well, revoltion is often our brain subconsciously protecting us. Perhaps it percieves some threat from drinking breast milk. I certainly don't have a definite answer, I just know my bounds.

Rattler goat milk "can" taste like cows but if it is not fresh,the goats are not the right breed or what they are fed can make it taste goaty.
I've had milk that is really goaty(really don't care) and 95% cow-like.

part of the problem why i dont like goats milk is that i do not buy local milk(dont think there is much produced) i have drank local goats milk and not cared for it however when you take in consideration every pasture around here is full of sagebrush and wild onions among other things.....well that prolly influences the flavor in a big way.....my mom grew up on milk a couple of the cows on the farm produced and she hates milk and doesnt drink it.....even the stuff shipped in....

Again, I'd like someone to try to tell me WHY it is gross.

I think it is more a perception thing. Not so much that it is "gross" but that it is "not normal."

When someone hands you a glass and says it is milk the expectation, based on your experience in life, is that it is going to taste like the stuff that you have been drinking all your life and comes from plastic jugs or cardboard cartons. If it tastes different then there is a perception that something is "wrong" with the milk.

There is also the highly Western view point that milk = cows. You are correct that if there was milk from 5 different animals people would not be able to tell which animal each came from but they would be able to taste the difference between them. If you told them the different milks came from goat, cow, sheep camel, buffalo then odds are they would not be perturbed much cause all of those seem line "normal" enough sources for milk. If you were instead to tell them that the milks came from cat, dog, rat, rabbit and guinea pig you would likely get to watch an 'Exorcism' moment. Not because the milk necessarily tasted bad but because it came from such wholly unexpected sources.

A great way to think of this is the Chevy Case movie 'Funny Farm' when he breaks the record for the lamb fritters.

As far as marketing goes remember most mass market milk is pasteurized so any finished product would likely be different than anything "straight from the tap".

In this you are absolutely correct. And if human breast milk were used for ice cream by the time it hit the shelf you would not know the difference because of all the additional chemicals, preservatives and artificial colours and flavors that were put in along the way.

Personally I do not find it "gross" I just find the whole idea ridiculous and it reenforces my belief that PETA are a bunch of idiots.

Again, I'd like someone to try to tell me WHY it is gross.

Quite simply: Perception.

Taste preferance in food is 90% mental (made up the 90% figure, but it is definatley a high percentage) and only barely chemical.

I observe this in my own daughter. At school, with her friends, something is delicious. At home, when we serve it....EEEEWWWWWW. Go figure.

Also, There was a test done (don't have the link) where kids were given two samples of chicken nuggets - one was called McNuggets, and the other were regular. However, both were, in reality, the same nuggets.

However, the vast majority of children said the "McNuggets" tasted far better than the regular nuggets.

It's all mental.

We're all mental.

We find human milk distatefull because we find the IDEA of it gross. Has very little to do with the taste.

This is not to say that there aren't some people who wouldn't find the taste appealing, even blind tasting...but I think the vast majority who call it gross wouldn't if they didn't know what they were drinking.

And As I type this I realize Pyro beat me to it.....

Would help to read the whole thread before replying...but since I typed it all already....

We're all mental.

yeah im pretty sure we covered this......we are a bunch of ppl that feed critters to plants.....i think "mental" barely scratches the surface of the issue :D

And I thought P.E.T.A. stood for People Eating Tasty Animals! :-))

Back