What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

all i can say is wow.........

PETA Urges Ben & Jerry's To Use Human Milk

POSTED: 2:21 pm EDT September 23, 2008
UPDATED: 10:28 pm EDT September 23, 2008

VERMONT -- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals sent a letter to Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, cofounders of Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc., urging them to replace cow's milk they use in their ice cream products with human breast milk, according to a statement recently released by a PETA spokeswoman.

"PETA's request comes in the wake of news reports that a Swiss restaurant owner will begin purchasing breast milk from nursing mothers and substituting breast milk for 75 percent of the cow's milk in the food he serves," the statement says.

PETA officials say a move to human breast milk would lessen the suffering of dairy cows and their babies on factory farms and benefit human health.

"The fact that human adults consume huge quantities of dairy products made from milk that was meant for a baby cow just doesn't make sense," says PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman. "Everyone knows that 'the breast is best,' so Ben & Jerry's could do consumers and cows a big favor by making the switch to breast milk."

In a statement Ben and Jerry's said, "We applaud PETA's novel approach to bringing attention to an issue, but we believe a mother's milk is best used for her child."

Read PETA's letter to Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield

September 23, 2008

Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, Cofounders

Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc.

Dear Mr. Cohen and Mr. Greenfield,

On behalf of PETA and our more than 2 million members and supporters, I'd like to bring your attention to an innovative new idea from Switzerland that would bring a unique twist to Ben and Jerry's.

Storchen restaurant is set to unveil a menu that includes soups, stews, and sauces made with at least 75 percent breast milk procured from human donors who are paid in exchange for their milk. If Ben and Jerry's replaced the cow's milk in its ice cream with breast milk, your customers-and cows-would reap the benefits.

Using cow's milk for your ice cream is a hazard to your customer's health. Dairy products have been linked to juvenile diabetes, allergies, constipation, obesity, and prostate and ovarian cancer. The late Dr. Benjamin Spock, America's leading authority on child care, spoke out against feeding cow's milk to children, saying it may play a role in anemia, allergies, and juvenile diabetes and in the long term, will set kids up for obesity and heart disease-America's number one cause of death.

Animals will also benefit from the switch to breast milk. Like all mammals, cows only produce milk during and after pregnancy, so to be able to constantly milk them, cows are forcefully impregnated every nine months. After several years of living in filthy conditions and being forced to produce 10 times more milk than they would naturally, their exhausted bodies are turned into hamburgers or ground up for soup.

And of course, the veal industry could not survive without the dairy industry. Because male calves can't produce milk, dairy farmers take them from their mothers immediately after birth and sell them to veal farms, where they endure 14 to 17 weeks of torment chained inside a crate so small that they can't even turn around.

The breast is best! Won't you give cows and their babies a break and our health a boost by switching from cow's milk to breast milk in Ben and Jerry's ice cream? Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Tracy Reiman

Executive Vice President

where do i sign up for a job as a milker?

What?! It will lessen the suffering of dairy cows and their babies at the cost of increasing the suffering of lactating women everywhere.

xvart.

What?! It will lessen the suffering of dairy cows and their babies at the cost of increasing the suffering of lactating women everywhere.

But it will be to OUR benefit. You know, lactating women are, well, larger and all...

Plus nursing women loose significant callories through their breast milk, and so would be thinner over the rest of their bodies....

I think that's a overall body shift I could live with.....

:jester:

Schloaty, even if you are "joking" that is very disrespectful to women and in my opinion is a very rude joke....a women goes through a lot and makes many sacrifices to herself to bring a child into this world....buts thats just my opinion so I guess go ahead and get your chuckles....and yes, I do realize it is supposed to be a joke, I just didnt find it funny, actually it flat out ticked me off to see something as great as nursing turned into another way to make the world a little more vain (didnt think that was possible).

PETA is a huge lie of america, but then again what isnt .....its very clear that PETA puts animals rights above human rights.....its also very clear with a little research that PETA does more harm to animals than they do good (I mean after all, they kill a large majority of the adoptable animals in their care, they admitted that on the stand under oath).

As far as using human milk for us to eat....thats absolutely DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!! I guarantee they would lose a lot of ice cream sells, lol!
As a mother who nursed for a little less than a year I must say that whoever suggested this must have never had to pump their milk cause let me tell you, it is pure torture!

Another perfect example of how PETA puts animals above humans....but then again why shouldnt they, the world views humans as "just another animal only a little smarter" I think for the most part we are dumber, I mean after all, the sheople of today follow the ones with the dollar signs hanging in front of them, they follow them right into whatever trap and poison they are led to.....

Mothers milk is best for a baby and that is where it should stop I think.

Victoria

That's messed up.

Ew.

I don't want to drink random women's breast milk.

That'd be really awkward to know that the girl I'm sitting next to at lunch is a nursing mother and I'm drinking her breast milk.

Ew.

PETA is annoying.

PETA::

CrazyTown.gif

OH! I wondered why that poll was on the CNN front page.

Needless to say I voted in the affirmative.

;)

Can't you get a disease from that? Why do we even drink milk anyways? Only baby animals drink milk.

Hah, that's a good one. This seems like a pretty short-sighted stunt, even given PETA's penchant for risk-taking. I guess bad publicity is still good publicity.
~Joe

cause let me tell you, it is pure torture!

Exactly. It is totally impractical and there is no way it would ever work.

xvart.

Exactly. It is totally impractical and there is no way it would ever work.

Which leads me to think that this is not real. Rattler, are you posting random shtick from the internet again? I remember the roping a deer post I got duped on.

Well then first, I just want to say Eww

Second, Most don't need more convincing that PETA is nuts. As to how nuts... my respect for the organization's brainpower and reasoning skills just slipped a few notches lower. I did not think that had become possible. This is just so completely out there...

the roping deer thing wasnt me but it really happened

Or so he said...

On what Moo said, yes...but in some aspects it tastes so yummy! ....chocolate more specifically...otherwise, eh. But yes, I do agree to an extent with what you said.

Yea Im not sure how they would "screen" all of those women for all the garbage that people eat and the vitamins....antibiotics...amongst all the other stuff women carry in their breast milk. They would almost have to make a "control" area with a whole mess of women that were only allowed to eat/drink/ingest whatever they approved. Hmm....yea.

*remembers pregnant friend who ate cauliflower one evening and her baby had horrid gas the next day due to it* not something I would want...gas because some random woman ate cauliflower and I happened to get the ice cream made with her milk :0o:

you should taste fresh milk from a cow thats gotten into wild onions :puke2:

Eww,yuck and that is not practical.
They should raise goats and promote goat milk thats organic.
Goat milk doesn't taste "goaty" if they are fed right,they are more manageable than cows
(other than their love of escaping) and they can eat controlled amounts of brush (to make the milk taste more cow like).
They can make a brand,keep them freerange(or good sized areas)),make it organic and after 4/5
years sell them for brush control.(Although the bucks/weather are to be eaten,PETA can't have everything))
Now that has some practicality :)
My knowledge of this falls from keeping goats and having a Nubian X Toggenburg milker.
Goat milk is better than cows milk in many ways and would be a hit with the Organic/Natural craze

i love how much PETA doesnt know, having lived on a farm for a few years, i know that you do NOT have to impregnate a cow every 9 months to keep it producing milk, as long as you regularly milk the cow, it will continue to produce it. It does not harm the cow to milk it, infact it helps it. How would we ever get enough women to produce the same amount of milk cattle does? I sure as hell know i wouldnt want to drink/eat milk from the breast of some woman i dont know. As many people have stated before, its plain gross..PETA is just full of it.
though i do believe animals should be treated properly, i do not believe that milking cows is wrong, its been going on for how long now?!

HA HA HA HA HA!!!! THAT IS AWESOME!:-))
I've got a stool and a bucket and everything we need, c'mon over ladies!!

sigh, I really needed this after work today!

Now it's time to get those reality tunnels in an uproar with some Q & A time:

Most all of us started out by drinking human milk so what's the big deal exactly? Because we're no longer babies? What changed?

Humans are generally considered animals (they are not classed as plants or minerals) so other than the enslavement part of it (if indeed it were not staffed with paid/willing "milk maids"?), why not human milk farms?

Let the screaming (or ignoring of these questions) commence...

Can't you get a disease from that? Why do we even drink milk anyways? Only baby animals drink milk.

You hear that alot, from people who are against drinking milk..
but there is a serious flaw in that theory..

if you say "cows milk is only meant for feeding baby cows, so humans shouldnt drink it"..
well then, a soybean is only meant for feeding a baby soy plant..
so humans shouldnt eat soy.
a lettce leaf is only meant for providing energy to a lettuce plant, so humans shouldnt eat lettuce..

the ONLY food "meant" for feeding humans is human milk..
therefore humans should ONLY eat human milk..nothing else..

If you use the "cows milk is only meant for baby cows" arguement, then where do you draw the line on everything else we eat?

Scot

If you use the "cows milk is only meant for baby cows" arguement,
This is not what he said - this is what you inferred from what he said by saying "Only baby animals drink milk". Human babies are baby animals (they are not vegetable nor mineral). Some human cultures do not drink milk after the infant stage. Asians for example are not big milk drinkers after childhood. Most Asians I know (vietnamese, hmong, chinese, thais and laotians) do not consume much dairy products of any kind (milk or cheese) in adulthood outside the occasional "free pizza lunches" at work. Eggs are popular in their cooking if you wish to consider them dairy products, but working with many nationalities of Asians has allowed me to find this bit eastern wisdom out: "milk is for the babies". Whenever I drink milk for heartburn they ask me "You a big baby now? ha ha!"

The rest of your rant seems to run off into medieval Aristotelian either/or logic. I.E. "If you don't believe we should drink milk therefore you must believe A, B and C...". When the kid said none of that and I did not see it implied because we can see that tends to get rather ridiculous. These are the sort of wild conclusions the idea that there is one correct reality-tunnel: "mine", and anyone else's ideas which differ from mine are "crazy, wrong or misguided" leads to. We're all guilty of this way of thinking from time to time but we should recognize what we're doing is enforcing our own beliefs to ourselves by making opposing views seem as ludicrous as possible. Perhaps Maneatingmoo is Asian? I have no idea of his ethnic background but you could have essentially called his culture's beliefs on dairy (for babies only) as comparable to a bizarre idea that only soy plants should eat soybeans. I would think following this sort of logic that eventually you would come to "Only humans should eat other humans." - this certainly shoots a long way from the original statement "Only baby animals drink milk." don't you think?

However, that could be the Zen koan for the day:" How does a soy plant eat a soy bean?" :)

Back