What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Legal importation of seeds into the USA

Small batches of seeds do not need a phytosanitary certificate,

In Fact, small lots of seed may be imported without a phytosanitary certificate under the following conditions:

(1) The importation of the seed is authorized by a written permit specifically for small lots of seed. Permits are usually valid for 3 years and cover multiple importations.

(2) The seed is not of any prohibited genus listed under 7 CFR 319.37-2; is not of any Federal noxious weed species; does not require an additional declaration on a phytosanitary certificate; does not require treatment; is not a parasitic plant; is not genetically modified; is not pelleted, coated, or imbedded in growing media, seed tape, cloth, or similar materials.

(3) If the seed is a field/agricultural crop or vegetable, it meets the requirements of the Federal Seed Act import provisions in 7 CFR 361.

(4) If the seed is regulated under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) or the Endangered Species Act, it meets the additional requirements.

(5) The seed meets the following packaging and shipping requirements:

(i) A typed or legibly printed seed list/invoice accompanies each shipment with the name of the collector/shipper, the botanical names (at least to genus, preferably to species level) listed alphabetically, as well as the country of origin, and country shipped from, for each taxon. Each seed packet is clearly labeled with the name of the collector/shipper, the country of origin, and the scientific name at least to the genus, and preferably to the species, level. The invoice/seed list may provide a code for each lot, which may be used on the seed packets in lieu of the full list of required information. In this case, each packet must at least include the appropriate code, which is referenced to the entry for that packet on the seed list/invoice.
(ii) There are a maximum of 50 seeds of 1 taxon (taxonomic category such as genus, species, cultivar, etc.) per packet; or a maximum weight not to exceed 10 grams of seed of 1 taxon per packet;
(iii) There are a maximum of 50 seed packets per shipment;
(iv) The seeds are free from pesticides;
(v) The seeds are securely packaged in packets or envelopes and sealed to prevent spillage [Note: we recommend that seeds are packed in resealable, clear plastic envelopes to facilitate inspection];
(vi) The shipment is free from soil, plant material other than seed, other foreign matter or debris, seeds in the fruit or seed pod, and living organisms such as parasitic plants, pathogens, insects, snails, mites; and
(vii) At the time of importation, the shipment is sent to an approved port of entry listed in the permit.

How to Apply for a Small Lots of Seed Permit: For fastest turn around time, apply on-line at https://epermits.aphis.usda.gov/epermits. Alternately, use PPQ Form 587, Application for Permit to Import Plants or Plant Products. On the first line of section 3 of the application, enter “SMALL LOTS OF SEED PROGRAM”. Starting on the second line, list the seed species and countries from which you want to ship each species. If the list of species is long, you may enter “eligible taxa”. By using this option, you are accepting responsibility for determining the eligibility of the seeds. The Permit Unit cannot tell you if the species are eligible for importation if you do not list them. A permit is issued for taxa that are admissible with no restrictions beyond the port of entry inspection. If port of entry inspectors find prohibited or restricted seeds in your shipment, they will seize and destroy the ineligible kinds.

To determine the entry status of seed taxa, see (2) above and refer to the Plant Protection and Quarantine Nursery Stock Manual’s reference section. (Follow this link: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/manuals/ports/index.shtml. Click on “Nursery Stock Restrictions”, and then find the List of Regulated Propagative Material starting on page 1-9 of the manual. Plants that are not listed in this section are generally admissible and eligible for the small lots of seed program. Plants that are listed in this section are ineligible for the small lots of seed program, with the following exceptions:

A taxon is eligible for the small lots of seed program if the relevant manual entries exclude seeds (check entries at both the genus and species levels and note family-level listings for Cactaceae, Cycadaceae and Rutaceae).
Species noted only as FSA-A or FSA-V in the “other requirements” column are eligible, but must meet the import provisions of the Federal Seed Act; i.e., the labeling must include variety names for vegetable seeds and lot numbers for both agricultural and vegetable seeds.
Species noted only as CITES or ESA in the “other requirements” column are eligible if accompanied by any required CITES or ESA permits. Generally, seeds of both Threatened and Endangered plants are regulated under the Endangered Species Act; however, the seeds of Threatened plants are not regulated if they come from cultivated plants. See:
http://www.cites.org/eng/app/index.shtml
http://endangered.fws.gov/esa.html

U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS).
Last Modified: July 14, 2008

Cheers'
Av
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
If I am following the correct procedures, you must obtain a level 2 authorization before you can electronically fill out USDA APHIS forms or access your account.

USDA eAuthentication is the system used by USDA agencies to enable customers to obtain accounts that will allow them to access USDA Web applications and services via the Internet. This includes things such as submitting forms electronically, completing surveys online, and checking the status of your USDA accounts.

Please note that USDA will only accept eAuthentication Accounts from individuals.

Currently USDA eAuthentication does not have the mechanism to issue accounts to businesses, corporations or other entities.

To apply for a USDA eAuthentication Account, please visit the
Create An Account Page.

After completing that process I received an email with the following requirements:

Level 2 Access
Step 4 of 4: Link to Account Activation page

Congratulations "applicant name", you have successfully created a USDA eAuthentication account.

Before you can use your account with Level 2 access you must do the following:

Please wait approximately 20 minutes from the receipt of this email before you can activate your account with Level 2 access.
Activate your account within 7 days of the receipt of this email.
Click ACTIVATE MY ACCOUNT

NOTE: Once you click the activation link, you will have an account with limited access that allows you to review your account information online.

Go to the USDA eAuthentication web site at http://www.eauth.egov.usda.gov and click on "Update Your Account" link and login to review the same account information you provided to ensure it is correct (e.g. first name, last name, etc. are the same as your govt. issued photo ID). You can also review or update your account information by clicking UPDATE YOUR ACCOUNT.
Take your government issued photo ID (e.g. state issued drivers license) and present it in person to a Local Registration Authority (LRA) who can activate your account with Level 2 access. Most LRAs are located at a USDA Service Center office, to find the nearest USDA Service Center office go to http://offices.sc.egov.usda.gov. We recommend that you call ahead to ensure that an employee trained as a Local Registration Authority (LRA) will be available to provide the service at the time you plan to visit the Service Center.
NOTE: Until a USDA Service Center Local Registration Authority (LRA) activates your account with Level 2 access, you will NOT be able to conduct official electronic business transactions with the USDA via the Internet.

Av

Very good information Av. I had a similar post awhile ago discussing the legality of importing seeds into the US.

http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113762

I started the registration process a few months ago, but did not know I'd actually have to make an appointment at the local department. Unfortunately I only had seven days to complete the procedure. It expired before I had time to go down there. Perhaps one day I'll start the procedure again.

Crystal

I just read your thread... did you go through the same webpage and same procedures?

I believe there are actually two paths you can take, each using a different set of forms but accomplishing the same goal.

When does the 7 day time period begin... after the initial level one application?... heck you didnt know you had to make an appointment and I didnt know you had a 7 day time limit

:p
Av

Yes. I did the first few steps that involved registering on the website. The next step was to contact my local department and make an appointment to ensure the people qualified would be there. I was to take my driver's license so they could authenticate me. It had to be done in person and my account on the website could not be activated without it. It was and still is a bit of a hassle for me to get down there.

Crystal

If I remember correctly, the seven day period started right after beginning the registration process on the website. I believe I was sent an email with a link to do some kind of activation thing. It was then I discovered I had seven days to fully activate my account.

EDIT: It would have been nice if I knew about that before beginning the process. I could have waited until I had time to make the appointment and such.

EDIT Again: I found a copy of the email that I received from the USDA:

Level 2 Access
Step 4 of 4: Link to Account Activation page

Congratulations Crissytal, you have successfully created a USDA eAuthentication account.

1. Please wait approximately 20 minutes from the receipt of this email before you can activate your account with Level 2 access.
2. Activate your account within 7 days of the receipt of this email.
3. Click ACTIVATE MY ACCOUNT

NOTE: Once you click the activation link, you will have an account with limited access that allows you to review your account information online.
# Go to the USDA eAuthentication web site at http://www.eauth.egov.usda.gov and click on "Update Your Account" link and login to review the same account information you provided to ensure it is correct (e.g. first name, last name, etc. are the same as your govt. issued photo ID). You can also review or update your account information by clicking UPDATE YOUR ACCOUNT.
# Take your government issued photo ID (e.g. state issued drivers license) and present it in person to a Local Registration Authority (LRA) who can activate your account with Level 2 access. Most LRAs are located at a USDA Service Center office, to find the nearest USDA Service Center office go to http://offices.sc.egov.usda.gov. We recommend that you call ahead to ensure that an employee trained as a Local Registration Authority (LRA) will be available to provide the service at the time you plan to visit the Service Center.

NOTE: Until a USDA Service Center Local Registration Authority (LRA) activates your account with Level 2 access, you will NOT be able to conduct official electronic business transactions with the USDA via the Internet.

The User ID you created is:
The email address you provided is:

Please print and retain this message for your future reference.

One hour after your account with Level 2 access has been activated by the USDA Service Center employee, you should have access to conduct official electronic business transactions with the USDA via the Internet.

The first time you use your account with Level 2 access, you will be asked to update your password to the Level 2 access password requirements.

If you need further assistance, please email the ITS Servcie Desk at eAuthHelpDesk@ftc.usda.gov or call 800-457-3642.

Please include the following information in your email:
# Your first and last name
# Your eAuthentication User ID
# Indicate whether you are a public customer, federal employee, state, or district employee
# If you are a federal employee, provide the name of your employing agency
# The URL (Web Address) of the Web site or application you were attempting to access
# The text of any error messages and a detailed description of the problem

If you have trouble accessing your activation link above, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar:
(edited, link contained account info)

Last edited:
hmmmm, Ill try to get to my local office in time then... Ill reread everything as well, if I missed that.. I may had missed something else as well

I know one thing, I got a New Zealand Phytosanitary certificate a few years ago. Ill never do that again.

Talk about getting expensive...geeze

Thanks for the heads up girl

(PS, that new avatar pic scares lil ol' meeeeee ;) )

Now I took that to mean you had seven days to go back to the webpage and activate the level one account...

1. Please wait approximately 20 minutes from the receipt of this email before you can activate your account with Level 2 access.

hmmm it is a little ambiguous, but the more I look at it the more I agree with your interpretation of it.
well, either way... Ill do it within 7 days just to be safe

thanks kid!
Av

I edited my previous post a second time to include a copy of the email. The email doesn't state outright that going to the local department is part of the activation process. When clicking the link, I can't remember what it said exactly, but I dealt with having to show my picture ID and the officials having to aid in the activation process. I believe they do it from their side.

No problem Av. I wished I could have completed the process, but it's a pain in the arse. Hopefully they will allow me to reapply at a later date.

I can only image how much a NZ phytosanitary certificate would cost. Probably enough to make me cry ha.

Lol you're the first person that's told me my avatar is scary lol. I was hesitant on using it because I didn't want to offend anyone on here (though I use it for everything else). If it's offensive, I'll change it.

Crystal

offended?.... err no just scared me, i remember some of my younger days waking up and feeling like that after a night of partying hard

One morning I got up after such a night, started brushing my teeth and noticed my mouth was burning... looked down and discovered I had put Ben-Gay on my toothbrush

(hehehehehehehe neener neener neener ;) )

I clicked the activation link to see what it had to say. My account is currently inactive. It says it's due to me exceeding my seven day limit or due to another issue with activating my account. The issue is probably due to me not going down to the local office. I know I clicked the link for activation after the 20 minute time interval (before the 7 day period was up). It seems they leave the activation process a bit vague.

I had printed off that info that probably would tell us exactly what we need to know........but it's long gone.

Crystal

Edit: And that's why I don't party...LOL!

I realize my info is a bit lacking and so is my memory on the exact process. Just to be safe, I'd recommend just making sure you can take care of everything within the seven day period. It's looking like it's going to be a pain for me to get my account reactivated. What fun.

EDIT again: I reread the email again:

Then it starts taking about making an appointment and such to present your government assigned ID. They finish the activation process on their end after your identification is verified.

well, ill post any additional info after I complete that step as well...

(ahhhh it was a different time hon, mid to late 70's... I use to be schizophrenic, but we are feeling much better now ;) )

hehe silly thang,
Av

Lol I did another edit up there :eek:.

I was so born in the wrong era. Oh I see, so when you drank, you had to drink for each of you eh? J/k :).

Crystal

It is a heck of a challenge to get through the process. DON'T forget your password and DO log in every 6 months or so. I became inactive after not logging on for over a year, go figure and then to get them to respond to an e-mail reauthorizing your account took over a month. Now about the delay in seed shipments.......................... I can confirm at least 6 weeks from Australia to Illinois. That was with everything I did to make things super easy for the inspectors to pass my stuff through the process. Arrggghhh !

Well, I called the USDA office in the county where I live... they told me (and I quote) that they were gun shy of doing such things and I would have to call the main office at the state level. Then get state to call the local office and ok it... so i called state office and left a voice mail.

sheesh,

Next I called the local office in the county where I work... "no problem, come on in". Excellent...I got there and begun the process. Since I have a farm I was already in the database.. good thing right?... err no LOL

The record of my farm had my middle initial listed on the same line as my first name, my level two record had my name and middle initial listed seperately and both had different primary phone numbers listed.

So these two databases had to be updated to match... no biggie once it was figured out how, about this time the main office at the state levell called the local office telling them I was wanting assistance in this matter... hey he is here and we have him just about taken care of

we're sorry it took so long.... we dont do many of these, you should receive an email shortly

Congratulations applicant

You have successfully completed the necessary requirements to update your USDA eAuthentication account to Level 2 access. You now have the ability to conduct official electronic business transactions with the USDA via the Internet.

One hour after your account with Level 2 access has been activated by the USDA Service Center employee, you should have access to conduct official electronic business transactions with the USDA via the Internet.

You can view or update your account information by clicking UPDATE YOUR ACCOUNT. You can also access your account information from the USDA eAuthentication web site at http://www.eauth.egov.usda.gov.

If you need further assistance, please email the ITS Service Desk at eAuthHelpDesk@ftc.usda.gov or call 800-457-3642.

Please include the following information in your email:

Your first and last name
Your eAuthentication User ID
Indicate whether you are a public customer, federal employee, state, or district employee
If you are a federal employee, provide the name of your employing agency
The URL (Web Address) of the Web site or application you were attempting to access
The text of any error messages and a detailed description of the problem

quest over, all things considered it was not too bad after all
Av

Congrats Av! Does that mean you are all done?

well... I now can get permission to import small lots of seed, as long as I follow the rules.

I have level two access, so I think so :crazy:

at least the process has been a freebee to this point, we'll find out how well it actually works soon.

Sounds like DG is an old pro at it already... ;)

That doesn't sound like it was too bad at all. For me the issue is getting to that side of town, it's so inconvenient. I may also have the issue of getting them to partially reactivate my account when I get the time for the trip. I don't think I'd use the permit all that much, but there is an occasion or two where it would have been nice.

Crystal

About Your Account

* After 180 days with no login, your USDA eAuthentication password will expire. To use the system again, you will need to unlock your password.
* After 400 days with no login, your USDA eAuthenication account will be disabled. To unlock your account, please contact the eAuthentication Helpdesk at http://www.eauth.egov.usda.gov/eauthHelp.html.
* To learn more about USDA eAuthentication password rules, see http://www.eauth.egov.usda.gov/USDA eA Registration Job Aid_v2.0.pdf
* Each person who uses USDA eAuthentication must use his or her own user id. No sharing is allowed. USDA reserves the right to terminate any account if this policy is violated.

Back