What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If there was a disaster coming...

A bit random but I was watching a TV show and it made me think of this. If there was going to be a massive disaster like a torando or tidal wave and had the chance to save all the plants you could carry, what would they be? I think mine would be my 3 neps and my VFT cuttings. What would you save?

Fill my tank as much as I can, uprooting everything and fill the tank with water...then put it in the car and drive away LOL

my plants would be the very last thing i would haul out...........got lots of other stuff i cant easily replace even with the insurance money.....i dont have a single plant that i couldnt replace with in 6 months.......ive got books and coins and the like that have taken years to track down........

I think I'd be carrying something other than plants.

Since your asking what plants I'd save well it'd be my N.sanguinea from Andy, N.Ampullaria, my flytrap seedlings and my bicalcarata my other plants would be too big and would take to long to get ready.

If there was some disaster like a tornando flood I'd make sure all my important stuff, medical stuff, some food, and if I had time my plants if not I'll just go and hope they'll make it though if I were to ever have some rare or endangered plant it would be top of my list over my other plants..

He said if you had the chance to save your plants, not if you were rushing out the door, which ones would you try to save. I would save my VFT and Sundews.

First thing into the car - my wife.
second - the cats. (two of them)
third - if enough time, photo albums and CD backups of digital photos.
fourth - if time,the small safe containing personal documents..mortgage papers and such.
fifth - if time, the home computer.
sixth - whatever else there is time for and will fit in the car.

plants would be VERY low on the list. they probably wont make the trip! ;)
they will have to fend for themselves..

Scot

well of course, but if you had enough warning and still had room for plants, you guys are just being hard headed! lol

My two plants I have Nepenthes Ventricosa x Maxima and my Ceph.

id follow scots list but grab just one plant somehwere along the way. Hell a cape would be ifne. Just something.

yeah but you said tidal wave or tornado.....two things that have very lil warning......still i aint going to worry bout my plants cause than they cause another issue, most of them need special care up here in my environment i now have to worry bout caring for something that really doesnt matter........i save everything else i can, plants being the last thing cause they just aint worth the effort unless ive got a couple days to plan what im going to do with them AFTER they get to the car........

Make a list now so you won't have to think later !

i take it you have never been in a disaster? have a list in place to save my plants? are you high? ive got a wife and 2 kids and pets........plants are so far down on my list of what to save they dont register.......and ive got much rarer stuff than the VFT's and common Neps most here seem to be listing.......i had a major fire get with in feet of my house before, had an hours notice......did not even think to grab a single plant.....we loaded up kids, pets, photo albums and the like and got the hell out of there....we left rifles in the house worth thousands of dollars........i aint going to stop to pick up a couple plants worth a few hundred bucks

the only way it would make sense to save my plants is if i have days to move my whole setup, lights, shelving and all........and have someone with a basement who was not affected to move them to......in case of a flood, tornado fire ect......my plants are on their own......hell i wouldnt even enter my plant room while packing stuff to take out.....i do not have a single plant i couldnt replace eventually....the plants stay.....other things go

forget my plants, I would save my dogs and important documents. If I had like half an hour before I need to leave then maybe grab my bical.

I think this is getting off topic from the original question x_x.

I would save my precious Audrey Junior (Cephalotus)

This is an important topic.

I live in an apartment in earthquake country, Los Angeles, so I'm pretty well prepared. The plants would be better off where they are - on racks that are wired to the wall so they won't tip over unless everything is flattened. I have a lot of "earthquake water," a peat/distilled water mix that hopefully no one will steal. I cycle it through so it doesn't get old, and the plants love it.

I'm an emergency ham radio volunteer so I will only be able to pack first aid and survival materials.

That being said, it'd be a tough choice between a huge N. truncata and a N. bicalarata, both of which are too big to move anyway.

Well, I just went through a disaster (Hurricane Ike), and faced this very choice.

When it became clear that the hurricane was headed my way and a 10 foot storm surge was predicted in my area, I found a little time during the evacuation preps to move as many potted plants as I could to places I thought would be safe. I moved about a third of my potted plants from the ground level up to windows on the second level. Knowing that I might be gone for a long time, I put them in trays with deep water and hoped for the best.

For the rest of the potted plants, I set them on top of a table in the shed, hoping that the shed wouldn't blow away and the water wouldn't get too deep. It was the best I could do in such short time.

As for the plants that were growing in the garden, I left them where they were. I would have liked to have dug up and potted a few of the plants to save them. Unfortunately, I was rushed with getting my wife, the cats, luggage and important papers ready for the evacuation.

Anyway, Ike hit pretty much where predicted, and the storm surge wiped out my entire garden. The water was only 4 feet deep, but it was filthy salt water straight from the ocean (with countless other pollutants in it), and it took 2 days to recede. Every plant that was completely submerged died.

The plants in the shed would have made it, but the table apparently started to float and it toppled over, dumping everything into the salty muddy sludge.

The plants I moved upstairs did all right, so at least I still have some of my carnivores.

I only have four... so... my sarrs, my VFT and my drosera, lol

BUT if I had to choose one... Sir Charles, the VFT. Naturally. :)

First, my N.xwrigleyana and rokko x spectabilis
Next, D. regia and the ceph.
Next, as many neps as I can fit in the backseat of the car and the trunk.
Next priority, the bog garden.
Finally, IF there's room in the trunk, my little sister.

Back