Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The LHC and Schroedinger's Cat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The LHC and Schroedinger's Cat.

So, I did some digging and found some neat things out.

Everyone's worried about the LHC activating soon and sending the world through a wormhole, or a singularity, or turned into a bundle of strangelets, or tapioca ice cream. So, I did some wikipedia browsing and found out some neat stuff.

First of all, from the bits and pieces I've heard, if the LHC works as intended, We'll be able to see evidence of an extra dimension or two nearby, which in turn will clear up a lot on the big ToE (Theory of Everything). Now, assuming the LHC does have the capability to destroy us all(which, I am told, is neigh impossible, even more so since cosmic rays interacting with the earths mognetic field have been doing similar energy-level reactions for a ridiculous number of years already now), if it can prove the existence of multiple dimensions and vindicate the Multiple-world-interprettion of Quantum mechanics, then we have nothing to fear.

Because we all, as individuals, may very well be immortal.

According to a thought-experiment authored by Hans Moravec, Bruno Marchal, and Max Tegmark, if we were to take the place of Schroedinger's cat and be presented with a situation in which there is an absolute 50-50 percent chance of survival, then half of our quantum waveforms would die, while the other half would continue on as if nothing had happened. Now, from the perspective of an observer, it is entirely possible that our conscious selves will continue on in the multitude of dimensions in which we survived successfully. Of course, the only way to really prove this is to go and try to make a fortune playing Russian Roulette.

The stuff is pretty complicated, but theoretical physics is a hobby of mine, even though I'm pretty sure that in about 99% of my existing corollary universes that I suck at math. Now, with impending doom on the horizon as the Halo facility gears up to start smashing protons into each other with such great force that our simian minds dare not attempt to conceive of outside of symbols and representations, we may find that we are all doomed to a phenomenal end, or are, indeed, personally immortal, and have nothing to worry about.

Strange stuff. Thoughts on this? Here's a few of the Wikipedia links I looked up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_immortality
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schr%C3%B6dinger%27s_cat
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscio...auses_collapse

Now what I want to see,, or at least have cleared up for me, is if there is a possible equation for proving that if there is existence at all, then all things must exist in the universe and realms beyond. Something tells me, however, that that would be related to the big ToE, and thus duly unequateable until further notice.

Also, Planescape, anyone?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also, Planescape, anyone?
    Without even commenting on anything else, I approve of this post. :P
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uhh, my brain hurts Lol. What's planescape?
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.
    My growing growlist of growing things

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Offshoot of D&D, had a really rich universe that allowed for just about, no, no, it allowed for anything you can think of.

Edit: also, Est, in return, I approve of your avatar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you jump into traffic because you believe a copy of you will survive somewhere? If so, seek psychiatric help. That kind of mental masturbation can be a great beery discussion in college and it looks like some people make a comfortable living from it. But, as a local TV station used to say before airing episodes of the Three Stooges, don't try this at home.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Est, what is your avatar supposed to be?
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.
    My growing growlist of growing things

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Herenorthere: Of course you wouldn't, because your waveform at current would only experience a timeline in which you would never consider a thing, and thus your survival is assured.

Also, Moo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Maxx

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhh... Yes. The Multiverse. Reminds me of one of my top five favorite books of all time: Timeline. It always comes back to the only way to completely describe anything is by getting every possible description and outcome. You can't truly know anything unless you see it from every possible angle, but positive and negative; which the multiverse theory provides for since the universe may split at every derivation of time.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast