User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 9 to 15 of 15

Thread: Torn quad

  1. #9
    wicked good plants! Presto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,257
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the leg immobilizer is the worst!! I lost a few plants this summer because of that stupid thing...couldn't carry plants to the sink to water them while I was on crutches!

    take it easy going back into soccer. the last thing you want is to re-injure yourself! having your leg immobilized will really weaken your muscles. take your time and make sure you're strong before returning. you're lucky that you're only sidelined for a few weeks...8 months total before I will get back to playing ultimate after my acl tear. blah.

    stairs: up with the good, down with the bad.

    I promise, it does get better!
    -Emily

  2. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    north carolina
    Posts
    805
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Presto View Post
    the leg immobilizer is the worst!! I lost a few plants this summer because of that stupid thing...couldn't carry plants to the sink to water them while I was on crutches!

    take it easy going back into soccer. the last thing you want is to re-injure yourself! having your leg immobilized will really weaken your muscles. take your time and make sure you're strong before returning. you're lucky that you're only sidelined for a few weeks...8 months total before I will get back to playing ultimate after my acl tear. blah.

    stairs: up with the good, down with the bad.

    I promise, it does get better!
    The muscle atrophy is gonna be the hard part. It is going to be hard to restrengthen my right leg while not reinjuring it again. I am definately gonna take it easy. I can't imagine this thing for 8 weeks!
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

  3. #11
    Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia/Zone 7
    Posts
    10,335
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really sorry to hear that. I can sympathize. A couple of weeks ago I fell in my kitchen (landing on and shattering an empty plant tank) and broke a rib. I couldn't do much of anything for 2 weeks. It was excrutiating. I was told 5-6 weeks to heal. It still hurts but not like it did.

    So I know how frustrating something like that is. I hope you feel better soon but don't push yourself until you are ready. You gotta let it heal properbly. Best wishes!
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

  4. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    north carolina
    Posts
    805
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlantAKiss View Post
    I'm really sorry to hear that. I can sympathize. A couple of weeks ago I fell in my kitchen (landing on and shattering an empty plant tank) and broke a rib. I couldn't do much of anything for 2 weeks. It was excrutiating. I was told 5-6 weeks to heal. It still hurts but not like it did.

    So I know how frustrating something like that is. I hope you feel better soon but don't push yourself until you are ready. You gotta let it heal properbly. Best wishes!
    Wow, I can't imagine that! I bet that was really painful, much worse than what I have. Did you have to wear an immobilizer too?

    Like you said, the biggest thing I am concerned with is pulling it again after 2 weeks. I hope everything goes well.
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

  5. #13
    Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia/Zone 7
    Posts
    10,335
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, the doctor said he didn't like to tape ribs because it restricts your breathing and can cause pneumonia.

    I have to admit the pain was far worse than I expected. Particularly driving. I'd yell out in the car it hurt so bad to turn the steering wheel. But finally I have passed the hump. I'm still aware of it but I'm not yelling.

    How the leg? It was really frustrating not to be able to do things I needed to do. So I'm sure you are having the same issues.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

  6. #14
    rattler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    missing, presumed dead
    Posts
    8,554
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have had 3 knee surgeries.....each time afterward i had my knee wrapped up tight enough i couldnt bend it till i could remove the bandages 3 days or do later.......worst part was after the last one, i would be laying on the couch drugged up, one of the girls would let the dog in the back door and all 20 pounds of her would come running full blast jump up and while she was in mid air all i could think of was there aint a damn thing i can do.......if i jerk my knee out of the way its going to hurt like hell......if i let her land its going to hurt like hell.....was a lose-lose situation..........
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

  7. #15

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    north carolina
    Posts
    805
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlantAKiss View Post
    No, the doctor said he didn't like to tape ribs because it restricts your breathing and can cause pneumonia.

    I have to admit the pain was far worse than I expected. Particularly driving. I'd yell out in the car it hurt so bad to turn the steering wheel. But finally I have passed the hump. I'm still aware of it but I'm not yelling.

    How the leg? It was really frustrating not to be able to do things I needed to do. So I'm sure you are having the same issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler_mt View Post
    have had 3 knee surgeries.....each time afterward i had my knee wrapped up tight enough i couldnt bend it till i could remove the bandages 3 days or do later.......worst part was after the last one, i would be laying on the couch drugged up, one of the girls would let the dog in the back door and all 20 pounds of her would come running full blast jump up and while she was in mid air all i could think of was there aint a damn thing i can do.......if i jerk my knee out of the way its going to hurt like hell......if i let her land its going to hurt like hell.....was a lose-lose situation..........
    Wow Pak, I didn't know that taping the ribs could cause pneumonia... I can imagine how hard driving and stuff was. Here is how I hurt/tore my quadricep:

    About 2 weeks ago we were having soccer practice and we were kicking balls at the goal. I went and kicked on and my foot planted before getting to the ball, causing my foot to instantly stop while all the momentum continued in the upper part of my leg. I noticed the pain immediately but it quickly subsided so I didn't think anything of it, even though that week I had slight twinges of pain when walking. A week later in our game I kicked the ball again and this time did the bad damage. I was limping the rest of the week, my quadricep swelled up REALLY large, and hurt alot. It subsided a few days later, but I went to the doctor a few days later and the rest is history. I now know how stupid I was by not letting anyone know about the pain as it was a warning sign to rest my leg, but I didnt' and paid the price through a torn quad. The hardest part is getting in a vehicle, using the bathroom, and walking with the leg immobilizer. It keeps your knee from bending, so walking you have to walk peg-legged like a pirate would.

    Rattler, I bet you were dreading the sight of your dog during those 3 days, weren't you?
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •