Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: wireless network question

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that firmware would be the issue - encryption operates above that level on most wireless devices if I'm not mistaken. You may want to try installing that patch anyways; it may not have been included in SP3, although that's doubtful. If all else fails, try to connect as WPA. I seem to remember hearing that WPA2 is backwards-compatible. Barring that, you could always switch your router and Vista machine over to WPA.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crissy,

I dont see the wireless adpater listed in device manager, but I know it has one and I know it works... ive used it to ahhhh connect to someone elses network on a good clear night LOLOLOL

however, the laptop in question is a bone stock toshiba satellite A55-106

The router (its paperwork calls it a gateway... ) is a combination dsl modem and wireless router.. it is a 2wire (brand) model 2701HG

When it arrived it had been setup by the DSL provider and they had password protected the settings with everything on ahhh low level so they wouldnt get any service calls about compatability (my assumption) well it took me about 15 mins to hack it and I sure dont know what Im doing

soooooooo Im trying to bring it up to speed security wise as best i can, I know... its hard to turn doo doo into ice cream,

err so i dont have to use SSID?

Prof says if you fail this test you gotta stay after class

(and thank you all for the help, my goodness is it appreciated... )

Av

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Crissytal;899849]No don't tell me that Av!

So you don't have a list that looks like this?

nope... just open, shared WEP and WPA hon

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm. I did a search on the Toshiba website. It looks like your laptop has a Atheros Wireless NIC. There's a link to the client software. That may allow you to choose the WPA2. The difference would be instead of using Window XP's wireless software to manage your connection, you'd be using Atheros.

Here's a link:
    http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...all_docs=false

Without a model number for the wireless network card, it's a bit difficult to determine if it's too old of WPA2. I'm assuming it's a bit dated. Doing a quick search on Wikipedia, I found this: From March 13, 2006, WPA2 certification is mandatory for all new devices wishing to be certified by the Wi-Fi Alliance as "Wi-Fi CERTIFIED."

I believe it's safe to assume anything before 2006 may not have WPA2 capabilities. If this is true, even downloading the Atheros software client wouldn't be much help. How old is your laptop?

Crystal
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the Toshiba was early 2005 IIRC and the Gateway that is older then that... well err we wont even worry about it.

The Toshiba is doing fine with the USB network adapter w/ WPA-2 so guess that is what Ill use unless you come up with another idea

Besides, it wont get used much anymore... I just have a few older/obsolete apps that seem to be incompatable with the new laptop's 64 bit Vista operating system.

Av

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just looked through the manual. It looks like there have been some revisions made. It states that it is "Wi-Fi CERTIFIED, but that could have been after a revision. Since you're not seeing it as an option when setting up the wireless network, it looks like you don't have WPA2 capabilities . WPA might not be as secure as WPA2, but with making sure your SSID isn't broadcast will help up the security. You can always leave the gateway set to WPA2 so your new laptop will have the benefits of it at least (your older computer should still work fine, WPA2 is supposed to be backwards compatible). I was looking to see if maybe you could replace your wireless card for a reasonable price. My laptop has a slot on the side for when mine goes out. I didn't see anything similar to that regarding yours. You'd probably have to open the laptop up to replace it and I don't recommend that.

If you look along the left and right sides of the case, do you see anything that looks like a slot? I'll see about getting a picture of mine later so you'll know what I'm talking about.

Sorry I couldn't help you more,
    Crystal
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like Atheros has little support for WPA. I can find it only in the AR5006 and AR5007 chipsets.

http://www.atheros.com/pt/wlan_core.htm

What chipset is in the Toshiba?

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=815485

To upgrade your wireless network adapters to support WPA, obtain a WPA update from your wireless network adapter vendor and update the wireless network adapter driver.

For Windows wireless clients, you must obtain an updated network adapter driver that supports WPA. For wireless network adapter drivers that are compatible with Windows XP (Service Pack 1), the updated network adapter driver must be able to pass the adapter's WPA capabilities and security configuration to the Wireless Zero Configuration service.

Microsoft has worked with many wireless vendors to embed the WPA firmware update in the wireless adapter driver. Therefore, to update your Windows wireless client, you just obtain the new WPA-compatible driver, and then install the driver. The firmware is automatically updated when the wireless network adapter driver is loaded in Windows.

Changes to wireless client programs
    Wireless client programs must be updated to permit the configuration of WPA authentication (and preshared key) and the new WPA encryption algorithms (TKIP and the optional AES component).

For wireless clients that are running Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) and that are using a wireless network adapter that supports the Wireless Zero Configuration service, you must obtain and install the Windows WPA Client. For wireless clients that are running Windows XP service pack 2 (SP2) and that are using a wireless network adapter that supports the Wireless Zero Configuration service, the Windows WPA Client is included in Windows XP SP2. Therefore, additional downloads are not needed. The Windows WPA Client updates the wireless network configuration dialog boxes to support new WPA options.

For more information and to obtain the WPA client program, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    826942 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826942/) Wireless update rollup package for Windows XP is available
    For wireless clients running Windows 2000 (or clients running Windows XP SP1 and using a wireless network adapter that does not support the Wireless Zero Configuration service), you must obtain and install a new WPA-compliant configuration tool from your wireless network adapter vendor.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Warren, ive searched in device manager, Ive checked sys information and I don't see the original wireless adapter llisted, yet Ive used it and know its gotta be there

It worked fine using WEP, so it has to be there... don't understand why I cant find it listed though... but I got it to the point of WPA compliant, even though the WPA-2 router doesn't seem backward compatible with it... which most of what I read seems to indicate should be the case.... I must have an odd duck of some kind. The bulit in modem failed a couple years ago and I had to disable it and run an external modem... so maybe some of these previous hardware/software problems are now contributing to the current issue

I have installed the software package that came with my USB wireless adapter and it is now working under WPA-2 with no SSID and a 64 character keycode. I guess this is as good as I can ask for at this point.

I feel so abused LOLOLOLOLOL
    Av

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast