Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wireless network question

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wireless network question

Im installing a wireless network at home, ive got the gateway set up for WPA-2, my new laptop with vista connects just fine. Now im trying to configure an older laptop that has XP.

The closest option I find listed on the older laptop is WPA with AES, I enable this and include the key but it doesnt connect. I tried to install a patch that I found, but xp said it was an older version then what was installed... so i declined.

I didnt know if WPA2 would be backwards compatable with WPA

The gateway originally came set up for WEP and both laptops connected fine, but I was afraid of WEP.

errr where do I go from here LOL, Im pretty sure I need some kind of WPA2 patch, but im not sure... and if so can ya gimme a link
    (first time setting one up)

hmmm can it be a driver issue on the older laptop?...

Thanks in advance,
    Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have you checked out firmware upgrades for the xp comp?
    SK-8 OR DIE

growlist

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    trying too now

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    XP update for WPA2 - service pack 2 or higher required.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As NAN said, SP2 is required. I just set my XP computer up on my WPA2 network. It does work, it's just a pain to get it to work. I normally use the IntelPro software that came with my wireless NIC. I'm assuming you're trying to use the XP wireless client.

I'm going to attempt a walkthrough:

Go to your Network Connections (My Computer/Control Panel/Network Connections). Please use shortcuts if you have them.

Once you are in the Network Connections screen, right click on Wireless Network Connection and select properties. The Wireless Network Connections Properties box should come up. There you should see three tabs across the top (General, Wireless Networks, Advanced), click on Wireless Networks. Make sure the box is checked next to "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings". Toward the center of the screen you should see a big white area labeled as Preferred Networks. If you have anything listed there, removed them all. When done, click okay, we will be going back here later.

You should be back at the Network Connections screen. Now we want to go back to the Control Panel. There you will find Wireless Network Setup Wizard. Double click it. Click Next. For Select a Task click Setup a wireless network. Click next. For Network Name (SSID) put in whatever you set up in your router. Click Manually Assign. Click the box at the bottom to use WPA. Click next. Type in the Network key. This will be what you set up in your router. Click next. If you don't have anything else to set up, click Set up a network manually. Click next then click finish.

Halfway done.

Now we go back to Control Panel/Network Connections. Right click wireless network connection. Select properties. Click Wireless Network tab. You should see the network you just created. Double click the first one (mine makes two for some reason). That will bring up the properties screen. For Network Authentication select WPA2. Data encryption will be whatever you chose in your router. Mine happens to be AES. Click OK. Click Ok again on the next screen.

You should now be back on the Network Connections screen. Right click Wireless Network Connection again and click View available wireless networks. This brings up the Wireless Network Connection page. You should see the name of your network. Click connect at the bottom. Then click connect again on the little screen that comes up. Leave the Network key alone.

You should now be able to connect to your router on your XP computer using WPA2.

Crystal
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always just use WEP. It's not as secure, but it works just fine, and is a lot simpler to set up!
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SP3 was already installed,

Crissy, Im not sure but I think that is what ive been trying... only I find WEP and WPA, but no WPA-2

I went to look for a firmware update but found none, however I do have a USB network adapter that I use while on the road for an even older laptop

(i gotta lotta junk LOL)

anyhow, with it all is well... if it is a firmware issue would I see WPA-2 listed as an option? or from the other side of the coin if i am doing it wrong would i still be seeing WEP and WPA as options?

and on the subject of SSID, Im under the impression I dont want to use that so other puters cant see my network without higher level hacker software... err am I correct in that assumption?

my lil brain hurts now really really bad

pouts, come here and fix it the way i want it crissy

i'll give ya a dollar hon
    Av

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No don't tell me that Av!

So you don't have a list that looks like this?

If not, it's possible that your wireless card in your XP computer is old enough to not support it.

Do you happen to know what kind of wireless NIC you have?

To find out you can right click on My Computer/Properties/Hardware tab/Device Manager

Look for Network Adapters and click the little + sign to expand it. You should have two devices listed there. One will be the wired NIC, the other should be wireless.

I can try to look it up for you to see if it can support WPA2. It's possible it's been updated since (firmware) to be compatible with it. If not, you may need to upgrade your wireless NIC (you should have a slot for a new one to stick in the side) or just revert back to WPA or WEP.

SSID allows anyone with in range to see your network. If the SSID is disabled, it becomes more difficult to hack. I did a nice 10 page paper on Wardriving in college. You wouldn't believe how easy it is to hop in your car and cruise around neighborhoods with your laptop searching for unsecured wireless internet.

It might also be helpful to know what type of laptop you have (I believe you mentioned it is a Gateway. What's the model?). I can tell ya if you can upgrade to a new wireless card.

You're just testing me aren't you? To see how much I remember from the job that I oh so loved lol.

Crystal
    Last edited by Crissytal; 10-04-2008 at 09:30 AM. Reason: mistakes.
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast