What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Note to self: Ultrasonic = pain

nightsky

Lover of Mountains
Apparently I'm an idiot. I was refilling the tank on my ultrasonic humidifier, and left it turned on while I did so. On my model, the tank lifts up and off from the base, which is where the ultrasonic wafer is. Well, I got the tank off, and the humidifier turned on. There is a little basin in which the wafer sits, and it was creating a 2 inch fountain above it, some of which becomes the mist.

Well, being the curious person I am, I decided to touch that little 2 inch fountain of water, just to see what it felt like. Big mistake. Initially, I couldn't anything, it felt like cold water running over my finger. Then after 2 seconds *bam!* my reflex kicked in and I yanked away my finger, and a split second later felt this horrible pain I can only describe as similar to being shocked by 120 volts of electricity. I've been shocked before, and this felt extremely similar. It hurt like a mother.... ! It's been an hour now, and I still feel a deep, throbbing pain inside my fingertip that isn't subsiding. And it's bright red.

As soon as this occurred I wanted to kick myself. They use high pressure water to cut through steel for crying out loud. Those molecules pack a punch under pressure. Well, I should have guess that when moved about at ultrasonic speeds, they would also pack a punch. Ugh.

So there you have it, today's little science lesson at my expense. :censor:

Good job there ace! :-))

This reminds me of this one time, when I decided to try burning a dry leaf with a blow torch... the leaf was on the palm of my hand... Just forgot that it was hot, heh.
So its ok, we all make totally stupid mistakes once in a while :)

awh hell it dont hurt.......just tingles a lil bit :D been there done that.........

I do that everyday, but I get paid to do it.

You're right, we all (at least all of us men & boys) do physically STUPID things as young'uns.

I broke my tail bone (that's right, I busted my butt) doing some tobogin jumping at 14. Now THAT is a world of hurt.

Don't beleive me? Try falling five or so feet and land on a rock sticking out of the ground just so it ONLY hits your tail bone..... Heck, Nightsky may just try it! :poke:

I got some advice for you nightsky... don't do that again! ;)

Schloaty, I feel your pain. I also broke my tailbone when I was 14. I fell on a very slippery log and omg! The last few days it's been hurting sooo bad, I can barely sit. You can't put a cast on your butt! And I was so embaressed when they had to x-ray it
:blush:

Ozzy has probably tried it without snow.

As for tales of stupidity by the not quite young, that reminds me of a night when I was ~20 and went with my brother and a bunch of his friends to bar and then to a nearby sledding hill. There was an amazing jump about halfway down the hill and we kept taking turns trying to hit it with a toboggan from the top of the hill. Everyone kept missing and, since it was so dark, we took turns standing next to the jump so people coming down the hill had a sense of where it was. Finally the aim was right and I was standing by the jump when the toboggan came swishing by and then there was absolute silence as it launched. That was followed by riders yelling and the toboggan spinning and riders tumbling and everything crashing down the slope. I don't think there were any broken butts that night, but everyone on board had been pretty well lubricated and probably felt all kinds of pain the next morning.

That must be HORRIBLE breaking your tailbone x_x

That must be HORRIBLE breaking your tailbone x_x

Especially when you're in highschool and you have to sit on a pillow in all your classes. That's a good way to get laughed at :-( The pain is truely unbearable sometimes. I was laying down a few nights ago and it took me 20 minutes to roll over onto one side because it hurt so bad. It's kinda funny now, but it wasn't then, lol.

Back