What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A little PC help here, please

• Thread starter schloaty
  • Start date

schloaty

Staff member
Ok, so I USED to be good at these confounded machines....but it seems my learning curve is behind.....or it could be that growing up on Macs I should have married a MAC girl, not a PC girl (PAK, if you read this...too late, I'm taken!). That's a battle I just surrendered (not worth the hassle).

So, something happened and my printer is no longer functioning.

What the heck, I removed it and tried to reinstall....But I'm getting the same doggone error - spooler not found.

What the heck is a spooler, and where do I find it? ???

a spooler is what you computer uses to send infor to the printer......generally my wife says when she gets that error shutting down the computer and restarting causes Windows to fix the problem, if thats not working i would look for help via Microsofts site as it sounds like a Windows problem if your printer software is good....may try to down load the driver via the web instead of your disk if you can find it

What computer, operating system and printer (make and model)?

Some of the HP printers have problems on Vista. Early versions of some of the drivers crash randomly and Vista in it's infinite wisdom then uninstalls the driver causing your printer to disappear. So you reinstall the printer and it works for a while and repeats the cycle. HP issued a hotfix.

A spooler is essentially a disk cache program that queues your print jobs so you can continue to work while the printer catches up.

Go to start -> run and type: services.msc

Make sure 'Print Spooler' is started, and is set to Automatic

Thanks guys. Printer spooler is set to automatic. When I click "start service," it says "specified file not found."

But it doesn't tell me what file it's looking for....

It's probably looking for the spooler program, from the sound of it. Not sure what to do though - sorry. I work at the tech support office for my campus and Vista makes all my coworkers shudder and sigh. We hardly even support it - there are only a few people that have been given machines with it and we only do that on the understanding that we probably won't be able to help them if something really screwy happens. Maybe uninstall/reinstall again? Like NAN said, it would be easier if you gave more specifics; someone might be familiar with the issue and know of a workaround/patch.
~Joe

Back