What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Palin abused power

• Thread starter Tropics
  • Start date
Just so I don't get accused of bias, here's the article from Fox "News":

Article

Haha, nice use of quotations.

Will this be the last straw that finally gives this election to Obama? we'll find out.

What really gets me is that the McCain campain wanted the report to be held and not released until after the election. That is so wrong. Why not put the facts out there so the people can make their own choice whether it was right or wrong.

Like all the other crooks...I mean politicians do no wrong? :censor: :rant:

Picture1.jpg

How could you not trust those faces? Don't you see the love and compassion in their eyes?
~Joe

And this abuse of power is from the person that thinks the VP should have more power than Cheney "took".

lets see she fired someone that she APPOINTED......kinda like the President replacing a member of his cabinet.........and after a 300 page report it recommended no charges be filed.......kind of making a mountain out of a mole hill guys........how can it be an abuse of power to fire someone whos job title says "Serves at the pleasure of the govenor...".

Note, rattler, that the report said that it was well within her power to fire the officer. However, under Alaskan state statutes of governmental ethics, she placed undue pressure on the offices involved and that other guy who got fired in the process.

So, good for her excercising her legal right to fire an unliked brother in law. Bad for her to do so in such a.... :censor: ish manner

I think if people read the article instead of just the headlines it is clear that this is just noise.

NOTE:

Yes the article is on Fox's website, however the article is not by Fox. It is an AP (associated press) article. We all know about the AP...

I read the article and it clearly states that the firing was "proper and lawful" and it also states that she "abused her power".

from an Alaskan who is more familiar with the situation than any of us:

You seem a mite confused as to the cast of characters and other aspects of the case,so let me sort some things out. Tod didn't fire anyone - he can't.

Trooper Wooten was married to Sarah Palin's sister (his fourth marriage, I believe, if that tells you anything). He is the one accused of Tazing a kid, drinking beer in uniform in his patrol car, moose poaching while he was a Protection Officer ( a State Trooper with a brown, rather than blue uniform), and threatening S. Palin's father. He is still on the force after receiving a paltry 5 days suspension (reduced on appeal from 10 days). I don't know his ethnic background.

Walt Monegan is the one who was fired- Commissioner of Public Safety (head of State Troopers). Commissioners are appointed by the Gov. and serve at the whim of the Gov. and can be fired for any or no reason at all. In addition to whatever underlying Wooten stuff - which he really couldn't do much about, as the Wooten case had been done by the previous Commissioner, he had differences with the Gov on several issues, and tried an end run around her on some funding stuff. That's called insubordination and is sufficient reason (not that the Gov. needs ANY reason) to fire him - and she did, after offering him a transfer to head another division. Walt is part Native, highly competent, and as far as I know, hasn't a drinking problem.

He just stepped on his whanger on this one....

This whole "abuse of power" charge is pretty pathetic, started in a bar by Wooten and Andrew "Dog in the Manger" Halcrow who lost to S. Palin in the run for Gov.

While I have some issues with Palin on other matters - one in particular, dealing with ethical Gubernatorial conduct, this isn't one of them. As far as I'm concerned, she's free and clear on this one, tho the Obama networks will spin it the other way.

According to the first of 4 findings statements, she is guilty of "abuse of power" by ommission- not reigning in Tod and a couple of her top advisors - if she even knew what they were doing. According to Tod's affidavid, she did indeed tell him at least once to drop his pursuit of Wooten dismissal.

from an Alaskan who is more familiar with the situation than any of us:

Quote:
You seem a mite confused as to the cast of characters and other aspects of the case,so let me sort some things out. Tod didn't fire anyone - he can't.

Trooper Wooten was married to Sarah Palin's sister (his fourth marriage, I believe, if that tells you anything). He is the one accused of Tazing a kid, drinking beer in uniform in his patrol car, moose poaching while he was a Protection Officer ( a State Trooper with a brown, rather than blue uniform), and threatening S. Palin's father. He is still on the force after receiving a paltry 5 days suspension (reduced on appeal from 10 days). I don't know his ethnic background.

Walt Monegan is the one who was fired- Commissioner of Public Safety (head of State Troopers). Commissioners are appointed by the Gov. and serve at the whim of the Gov. and can be fired for any or no reason at all. In addition to whatever underlying Wooten stuff - which he really couldn't do much about, as the Wooten case had been done by the previous Commissioner, he had differences with the Gov on several issues, and tried an end run around her on some funding stuff. That's called insubordination and is sufficient reason (not that the Gov. needs ANY reason) to fire him - and she did, after offering him a transfer to head another division. Walt is part Native, highly competent, and as far as I know, hasn't a drinking problem.

He just stepped on his whanger on this one....

This whole "abuse of power" charge is pretty pathetic, started in a bar by Wooten and Andrew "Dog in the Manger" Halcrow who lost to S. Palin in the run for Gov.

While I have some issues with Palin on other matters - one in particular, dealing with ethical Gubernatorial conduct, this isn't one of them. As far as I'm concerned, she's free and clear on this one, tho the Obama networks will spin it the other way.

According to the first of 4 findings statements, she is guilty of "abuse of power" by ommission- not reigning in Tod and a couple of her top advisors - if she even knew what they were doing. According to Tod's affidavid, she did indeed tell him at least once to drop his pursuit of Wooten dismissal.

And if Obama did this there would be a terrorist connection right?

if Obama did it the media wouldnt be making anything of it..........and you would be posting the same things i am....

Huh? If a state legislature found that Obama was guilty of abuse of power, the media wouldn't make anything of it? Is that a joke? Seriously, you cannot deny the importance of this report, and it is pretty much the end of McCain campaign, plain and simple. It's too late to drop her from the ticket, so he's stuck with her. This was not a partisan report, rattler. The transgressions are clear. Is she going to jail for it? No, of course not. It doesn't rise to that. But it is evidence of unprofessional conduct, challenged ethics, and improper use of her power as governor. It's exactly what you don't want to see in a VP candidate. The investigation into whether there's criminal culpability continues, as the state's Personnel Board begins it's role in investigating the affair. The Personnel Board, unlike the Legislative Council who released this report, is authorized to take legal action.

Capslock

I just want to note how fun it is to read these threads while the embedded Google ads feature McCain-Palin banners.
~Joe

push comes to shove what she did was legal......only thing she is guilty of is maybe not keeping her husband on a short leash........push comes to shove this aint a door anyone wants to open very far cause most everyone is guilty of stuff that while legal might not be right........in all realty even if this was Obama, for me its a non-issue....

Various powers are designated to the Governor of Alaska. However, the Governor must use those powers responsibly. For example, the Governor has the power to activate the National Guard. However, the Governor may not activate the National Guard just to intervene in a domestic argument. That would be irresponsible. The Governor has the power to hire and fire the Public Safety Commissioner. A committee of the Alaska Legislature (composed of a large majority of Republicans, by the way) determined that Governor Palin fired the Public Safety Commissioner, Walt Monegan, because she pressured him to fire one of his staff, Palin's former brother-in-law, and Monegan refused. Alaska's ethics law makes it a violation for any public official to use any official action to benefit a personal interest. Governor Palin's action was irresponsible, and the committee determined that she abused her power in committing an ethics violation.

and the fact he tried to go against her wishes on budget stuff has no bearing in your world?

and the fact he tried to go against her wishes on budget stuff has no bearing in your world?

Do you enjoy banging your head on a wall as much as you do entertaining these Obamaites? ;). I mean seriously, the ACORN connection is valid, as are the other radical connections Obama has and yet they continue to spin it. I seriously believe Obama could murder someone today and get away with it. Everyone would spin it and you know the MSM wouldn't talk about it :D.

The legislative committee determined that Governor Palin abused her power in committing an ethics violation, and the committee had lots more information that me. The McCain campaign denies the violation (for obvious reasons). However, the McCain campaign points only to the authority of the Governor to hire and fire the Public Safety Commissioner. That was only a secondary issue. As far as I can tell, the McCain campaign does not reference the primary issue in the case, Alaska's ethics law, which is what Governor Palin violated. The committee apparently believed that Palin used the budget issue just as an excuse (unsubstantiated) to fire the Commissioner.

Back