What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Obama and ACORN, the truth.

Um

I have not gotten any impressions that there was some sort of conspiracy... err... concerted effort to prevent poor people from voting. It is just a case of some people (not necessarily the organization itself) being fraudulent and trying to either line their pockets or rock the boat with over representing a group. Identify those registrations that are not legitimate, keep those that are and move on.

As for the bible, I do not think any of the stories were meant to be deliberate fabrications or lies. I just think the how-thing happened in regards to life and earth is representative of the state of knowledge that people had of the world around them 2,000 odd years ago. Do I believe in God? Yes… did not used to. Do I believe the bible is an accurate record God's work? No… I believe there is a God but beyond that…

I hate to say it but it's the culture of the party who are prosecuting ACORN which causes these off topic abstractions to come up. That's the Socially Conservative Christians or "Neo-Cons" (hopefully that will enough for me to separate Jim from the rest of the 'flock' ;) ) When I was a kid my mom started going to one of those apocalyptic evangelist churches for a while like Palin grew up in - a friend from work took her and she liked the lively music. But after a while my mom finally decided she wasn't paranoid about the end times and everything else before she went, why should she continue going someplace and start to get that way? There is only one party actively working against letting poor people vote, it's not democrats, independents, libertarians or the green party suing for investigations if there were a more full frontal assault against ACORN then I could see some validity... I still stand for my "conspiracy theory" (I beat ya to it Outsider;) )

Some people like to live in alternative realities ;).

How about some proof of McCain trying to prevent poor people to vote? This is a crock and a smear. Are you trying to suggest because ACORN is under investigation in several states across the country, for committing voter registration fraud, that somehow Republicans are preventing the poor from registering to vote? I honestly don't feel sorry for people who fail to register to vote. Everyone can register. It's free. It just takes motivation and a tid bit of time. Once again provide the proof of McCain preventing anyone from registering to vote.

Also I believe EVERYONE should vote, regardless of wealth, as long as they have made it their civic duty to see where these candidates stand on issues and pick whichever they believe is best for the country. People who don't take the time to research would be better off not voting.

What's terrifically horrendous is the fact that in most battleground states, you can become inelligible to vote if your house is foreclosed. If you can not prove your residence as stated on your ID, then it's thrown out as a fraudulent or invalid registration.

Due to the ties with the current economic situation, I think it's pretty damn cold-hearted. Also, in many eyes and not just mine, limitations like this tend to throw bias into the mix as many of these foreclosed people are likely to vote Democrat simply because the platform appeals to those in that situation more so than the Republican platform. It's not quite ACORN, which I've adopted the official Democrat story of there just being an employee trying to take an 'in work vacation' since it makes the most sense.

However, I do believe the attack on ACORN is completely unnecessary since they're willing to offer up any and all info needed for an adequate investigation and regularly have their employees prosecuted for falsifying registrations. What should be a completely business-as-usual situation has become the target of national interest. As long as they don't nix all the other previous registrations then I really wouldn't give it more attention than it deserves.

I never said "John McCain", even though the Neo-Cons have been linking Obama to this for as far back as you guys can dig up online.Several times I used the term "freelancer" to imply someone working on their own. Yet inspired by the neo-con party with their "communism" and "welfare" angle which they always like to stoke.. Especially good for them to use would be a no-name patsy that some group could talk into doing this, then if caught disavow any knowledge (see Lee Harvey Oswald as a historical example of a patsy). As is often said, the fewer people who vote, the better the conservatives do in the election. It does anger me that the poorest don't have the proper information to know where to register to vote but with groups like ACORN they can get registered because the registrys are in their area or even go door to door. There's no way to seperate ACORN from the poor, because that's who they exist for. Very few poor "city folk" are happy to vote for the rich to get richer and have a chance to get further downtrodden by the "trickledown economics" (formerly "Reganomics" - that was another bad time for poor people). You can call it a conspiracy theory, that's OK cos no matter what any of us deduces from our perceptions, it's all just speculation until the FBI gets their work done. I'm not writing a book on my so-called conspiracy or anything, just giving my wacky take that's all. :)

Putting all conspiracy theories that Obama did it, McCain did it, or even the Freemasons or the Illuminati did it aside...;)
Handwriting analysis of ACORN workers should really be all it would take to either pick out those who did it, or it will rule out anyone within their organization. If it wasn't someone in ACORN but a freelancer dong it and putting the ACORN name on them we may never know and the wild speculations can go on forever.... whee!

So, question for the Christians, where does this leave a person like me? I grew up in the Church, I did everything there was to do, going to church 3 times a week or more, etc. Memorizing verses and stories, getting the 'true love waits' rings for my GF's, all of that stuff.

And then, around 16, I took a look around and realized I was consorting with some of the most villainous, irritating, alienating, and exclusionist people in the town in which I lived. So, with that in mind, I tell you I was Southern Baptist in a small town, From birth till later teens, have quit, and never looked back. Every time I've tried to go since I've had spectacular timing with the services, hearing everything from Money-grab sermons to college youth-groups(literally, 1.5 hours talking about the church needing money, total no-no, AND it was one of those enormous 5-story stadium churches) And preaching the tenants of misogyny in otherwise fairly nice looking establishments.

So, my question is, as a reasonable, logical human being, I'm wondering, is it just me? Or is it possible God doesn't want me in his churches? If timing and calling are tools of the Lord, wouldn't making sure that every sermon I heard was inexorably offensive be a sign? Every time I've reached out I've been sorrowfully disappointed. So perhaps by belief is better, perhaps I just picked the wrong churches, or perhaps it's nothing at all, but in my personal opinion, odds are good that I will be offended any time I walk into a church.

EDIT: Good lord I keep forgetting that this is the ACORN thread.

Check you PM box.

Back