Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Book: The Savvy Converts Guide to Choosing A Religion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other religions aren't "falsehoods" to those who follow them, they're just as equally true to those people as yours is to you.

I try my best not to hold anyone's reality tunnel (worldview) against them. I take a great enjoyment in learning about how people perceive the world. We all see the world differently but I like to look for the reasons why we do. Religion is one way which affects the way we perceive the world, politics is another. It matters not if I agree with anyone but that I can try to learn something from the people I meet. Too often people take offense when everyone is put on a level playing field and informed that their beliefs are equally as valid as anyone else's and not any more valid than anyone elses. If people are never viewed as philosophical equals we can never learn anything from one another.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiana Gardener View Post
    It's not difficult to break the main points down into less than that;
    islam - pray to a dead man and kill nonbelievers
    That's highly offensive.
    -------------------------------

The only way to objectively find religious "truth" is to look into every faith and consider them all equally. Then choose the one that really resonates with you.

As for the book, it's meant to be humorous! God damn! (or Zeus Damn!)

-Jason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >That's highly offensive.>
    Perhaps a little harsh, but I meant nothing offensive. I admit, some claiming to be christians also commit murder, but the Bible is against it. If I'm not mistaken though, islam does teach to kill non-believers? I could be wrong. Willing to learn that I am wrong if that's the case.

I also enjoy learning about other Cultures. I have very dear friends in Japan whom I've known for 5 yrs and are buddhists (from what little has been said). Sometimes they mention elements of their belief (a butsudan, etc) and sometimes I write down a Bible verse as a well wish. Neither of us takes offense or pushes anything on the other. I enjoy learning from them, but I'm firm in my own faith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing wrong with being firm in your own faith but there's no reason to ridicule and belittle other faiths with this kind of breakdown:

islam - pray to a dead man and kill nonbelievers
    buddhism - basically you bow before a statue until you are enlightened enough that you become your own god. Wow, I'd be in trouble if I was my god. How does that help me? LOL
    Another educational book along these lines is The Varieties of Religious Experience and similar essays by William James:
    http://www.amazon.com/William-James-...4030470&sr=1-4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't meant to be a ridicule. I just like to get down to basics; down to the nitty nitty nitty nitty nitty gritty. I'm remaining open minded, and perhaps the only one here who's not taken offense, certainly not because I couldn't have.

I am willing to learn here. Does or does not islam teach to kill [murder] non-believers?

If it does, that is actually a direct contradictory to buddhism, that teaches all life is sacred and not to be killed. So how can both of those religions be equal in that respect? Life and death are as far apart as the east is from the west. People are equal, but philosophies can't be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll have to take the tenets of Islam up with Ahmad if he feels brave enough to pop in and give us his take, not being a Muslim or knowing enough of their scriptures I can't speak for them.

As far as my subjective experience with Muslims goes, my dad lives in a Somali Muslim neighborhood (the largest Somali community in the US) and we're both non-believers to their religion. So far neither of us have been killed in all the years he's lived there. I work with a number of Somali Muslims as well as persons of various world faiths mostly Asian Buddhists but some Hindus as well. Very few WASPs at my job.

As I said, all religions are equally true to those who practice them. What's true for you is not true for me.
    Hence "truth" to a Buddhist is not the same "truth" to a Muslim, a christian, a druid, etc.

Why would you have cause to be offended in any of this conversation?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By my understanding, only current day extremists carry out the full commands of islam. Most modern believers seem to pick and choose which parts they want to believe and which not. But I could be wrong? That is something found in all religions.

>Why would you have cause to be offended in any of this conversation?>

It might pass you by blindly, but how about the equation of the Son of God to a statue and such. Just for the record, I summed up my beliefs as briefly as any of the others based on what I (think) know about them to keep it fair.

I am not trying to be offensive. I'm trying to come from a standpoint of genuine curiosity of how one philosophy can be equal to another if they state different things? I simply don't see how it can be. I can walk into a garage and believe I'm a car. It doesn't make me a car. I can even got to the barn and cluck like a chicken, but it doesn't make me a chicken. Belief alone doesn't make something true. If I'm ill-informed on the matter of public decency, I may wake in the morning, take a shower, and walk out of the house nude. If the law says it's not ok, it doesn't matter what I believe. I'd still go into lockup. I could sincerely believe it was ok, but I would be sincerely wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how about the equation of the Son of God to a statue and such.
    I think I see what you're asking. My response is in what respect is a statue of Buddha any different than a statue of Jesus or Mary? I've seen them in almost every church or graveyard I've ever been in, often surrounded by candles. Is one made of magical plaster that makes it not idolatry?

Islam is the only religion I know of which forbids any depiction of living creatures (man or beast) if you wanna be iron willed on the whole statue thing.

The garage and chicken analogies went over my head but what I wanna know is what is it that makes your religion more true than anyone else's if not your belief that makes it so? What sort of tangible proof (physical evidence = not just "belief alone") do you have, which you seem to be alluding to, that proves that yours is "the one" over all others? If it's not based on the belief that yours is the one (because your book says so) what is the claim based on?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast